Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you allow your child to be tardy for school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do...I have a 6 year second grader that has severe asthma and night time can be the worse for her...So after a typically bad night I will let her sleep in, in the morning till she wakes up on her own and then depending on how she is feeling we get ready and take her to school (1 mile from my house) she is normally only an hour late...I feel a well rested child will do better then a child who is exhausted and the school agree with me...since Dd already misses slot of school each year because of being sick with other health issues this helps keep her from missing more then she needs to...

Would you in my situation?

I guess I need to add more information....dd goes to bed at 7, but there are times when because of her asthma she has issues breathing which in returns causes her to cough non stop and even with her meds it makes it hard to sleep or to stay asleep...the school and dr has agreed that for her it is best if she comes in late instead of not at all...she has a 504 medical plan in place to protect her...dd also has other health issues that put her in and out of the hospital and in those cases the school provided her a tutor...
Last year she was only tardy 4 times..as we work on her health issues and work with her meds and doctors to get everything under control this will change, but for now this is what is best for dd

She always makes up all missed work and she does not disrupt class she knows she is to walk in quietly put stuff in cubby and take her seat...
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (171-178):
gammachris
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:00 AM

I think you show good common sense with your decision-making.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:02 AM

In that case I would. She is just a child and it isnt fair that she has to be exhausted and not feeling well all day over something out of her control.

lasombrs
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:04 AM
We frequently have doctor appointments across the state. Those days my son goes late. Because some school is better then none. Days we go out of state we miss the whole day. His health also misses a lot of days. We have it built into our iep that its acceptable. He has an auto immune disorder and just can't go some days. But it's not something his doctors want to see him every single time for. They already diagnosed him and they can do nothing we aren't already doing. So we will not have a note each time. More of a standing order from them.

I would probably still try to send my child in on time unless they were still actively having an attack. My son has sleep apnea and never enters rem sleep. He functions fine during school. If it really made her fall asleep in class the first time or two I would keep her home then.
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:24 AM

This is my first year I'm not rushing my oldest around trying to make him on time....I want him to learn on his own.  He's been tardy a couple times this year as a result...but he's learning.  I wanted him to feel that crappy feeling when you walk into a full class staring at you.  I wanted him to feel that feeling when you walk into the halls and don't know what class to go to b/c you don't realize how late you are lol.  This morning, he did it all on his own and I'm very proud.

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM
1 mom liked this
No. When my sons asthma acted up bad enough for me to worry or disturb his sleep, I kept him home to monitor him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:28 AM

In your situation, I would. 

lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM

No. My son has asthma as well, but he's always been on time, even after a bad night.

supercarp
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:44 AM

When she has work that is not easily made up. A child who is suffering from asthma attacks and not sleeping won't be able to learn well. She may become a behavioral problem. If you're keeping up with her work on a daily basis, which is easy for most people in the early grades, keeping her home  may be best. I would be in constant contact with the school, though. They may decide not to promote her to the next grade if she misses too much.

Quoting cutebaby06:

Not a big? So at what age does it start to be a big deal? 10, 20, 30?

Quoting supercarp:

She's only 6, so it's not a big deal. When she gets older this may become a problem.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)