Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you allow your child to be tardy for school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do...I have a 6 year second grader that has severe asthma and night time can be the worse for her...So after a typically bad night I will let her sleep in, in the morning till she wakes up on her own and then depending on how she is feeling we get ready and take her to school (1 mile from my house) she is normally only an hour late...I feel a well rested child will do better then a child who is exhausted and the school agree with me...since Dd already misses slot of school each year because of being sick with other health issues this helps keep her from missing more then she needs to...

Would you in my situation?

I guess I need to add more information....dd goes to bed at 7, but there are times when because of her asthma she has issues breathing which in returns causes her to cough non stop and even with her meds it makes it hard to sleep or to stay asleep...the school and dr has agreed that for her it is best if she comes in late instead of not at all...she has a 504 medical plan in place to protect her...dd also has other health issues that put her in and out of the hospital and in those cases the school provided her a tutor...
Last year she was only tardy 4 times..as we work on her health issues and work with her meds and doctors to get everything under control this will change, but for now this is what is best for dd

She always makes up all missed work and she does not disrupt class she knows she is to walk in quietly put stuff in cubby and take her seat...
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (21-30):
Okie-chick
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
If she has health issues yes. And on days she stays home I would get extra work she could do from school.
Lorena
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
No my kids have never been tardy and have only missed for medical.
TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Never.  If she needs to be home, keep her home and try again next year.

You wouldn't even get away with it here, as if you are late so many times, you are "reported". 

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Yes in your situation I would too. My kids are not late, there have been a few times in the past 5 years we all woke up late and they were like 20mins but not something that happens all the time.
LAXmom21
It's not when she goes to sleep, it's she's up at night with asthma.

Quoting AvengedMommy101:

You should have her going to bed earlier then. Your teaching your child that it's okay to show up late because she wanted to sleep in. That will go over well when she has to get a job one day.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweetnsassymami

do her teachers complain about her being late so much?

handy0318

My ds has asthma as well... going to bed earlier isn't going to help much. Going to bed a 7 or 8, what does it matter if they wake up at 2:00am coughing and can't sleep for another hour or two or three....

You probably should look into getting a 504 for her so that anything due to the asthma won't count against her. Talk to the school counselor and her doctor. My son just got back to school today for the first time in two weeks due to his asthma... I'll call the doctor's as soon as the office opens to have them fax the excuse over to the school. They can only miss 6 days a trimester and he's already missed 11. 

VannaMae307
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:08 AM

I don't allow my child to be tardy, he is always 15-20 minutes early. I don't know what I would do in your situation.

RiotousDigits
1 mom liked this

never.

a)  that's their job.  work starts at 8:57.  They need to be there ready to go.  This is the foundation of a good work ethic.  school is NOT a "show up when you feel like it" commitment.

b)  it's a pain in the ass.  I am not going through the 3rd degree in the office just so junior can get 30 more minutes sleep.

kraziandkoul
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Never on purpose. I wouldn't let her sleep in, while it sucks that she has issues (I have a son with Asthma and he has some really rough nights) I wouldn't let that be an excuse.

I wouldn't want my son to think he can use his asthma as an excuse or crutch later in life- and I doubt that an employer would be okay with him showing up late for work because he had a rough night. 

We've occassionaly overslept on accident, but I won't ever condone being tardy or skipping on purpose without a very valid reason.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN