Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

do you allow your child to be tardy for school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
I do...I have a 6 year second grader that has severe asthma and night time can be the worse for her...So after a typically bad night I will let her sleep in, in the morning till she wakes up on her own and then depending on how she is feeling we get ready and take her to school (1 mile from my house) she is normally only an hour late...I feel a well rested child will do better then a child who is exhausted and the school agree with me...since Dd already misses slot of school each year because of being sick with other health issues this helps keep her from missing more then she needs to...

Would you in my situation?

I guess I need to add more information....dd goes to bed at 7, but there are times when because of her asthma she has issues breathing which in returns causes her to cough non stop and even with her meds it makes it hard to sleep or to stay asleep...the school and dr has agreed that for her it is best if she comes in late instead of not at all...she has a 504 medical plan in place to protect her...dd also has other health issues that put her in and out of the hospital and in those cases the school provided her a tutor...
Last year she was only tardy 4 times..as we work on her health issues and work with her meds and doctors to get everything under control this will change, but for now this is what is best for dd

She always makes up all missed work and she does not disrupt class she knows she is to walk in quietly put stuff in cubby and take her seat...
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 9:58 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I think it's important to keep in mind that school is preparation for the work force. While our children still may be children this type of behavior sets a trend that may be difficult to break down the road. It could easily fail her because she never learned what to do in the event of a restless night sleep. 

Sleep is very important and in an ideal world we would all sleep until our natural cycle ended, unfortunately that is not the case and we all must adapt. 

Quoting Seagodess:

This is a good point. I didn't really think about that.

Sleep is very important, but eventually she will have to suck it up and learn to go without sleep. How long does she get to sleep at night? If she gets 6-7 hours at least she should be fine. How often is it happening? Try putting her to bed earlier. Have you talked to her Dr? If its a daily/simi daily thing, then another solution needs to be found. If its every few weeks, it is probably ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

My children are never tardy. While I agree a well rested child does better when she's an adult this type of thing isn't going to keep her employed.  I find it important to teach my children how to preform regardless of illness or lack of rest. 

Momtogirls0823
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

We are not going to be late if we can help it but then we don't have any health issues like you are describing either.  They don't even like getting to the bus late!  

stykir
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

i think if your school is ok with it because of medical stuff, no big deal. the only time i let my son be late is if we have an appointment. one of his drs is really tough to get in with and i always schedule so i can be their first appointment of the day, otherwise it gets backed WAY up and you end up waiting FOREVER. so i'll get thier 7:30 or 7:45 appointments, and he is maybe half an hour late to school at most. I don't mind him being late for that but i know him--he'd get into the habit if i just let him think it was ok and he'd be late every day haha, so i make a big deal of being there early on most days.

mamav2215
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:15 AM

anyone who does not have asthma and is telling you this is bad... ignore them. They have no idea how physically draining this can be and if you're phsyically exhausted and stressed the next day it can induce another attack. 

I would do the exact same thing you do; except I would make aboslute sure that the first class of the day is not something she's struggling in. I would also discuss what you're doing with the school so they are aware of why she's running late. 

I feel bad for your daughter (and you) asthma is terrible at any age and scary... at that age... it's terrifying. I have it as well and so does my niece. I use to sit up all night and listen to her breathe when she was sick. 

lapcounter
by Queen Mom on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

No because they have no reason to be.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't understand the doctors note thing. If my kids have a run of the mill stomach virus or a bad cold virus, I'm not taking them to an unnecessary doctors appointment.

My kids have been tardy for good reasons, like doctors appointments. I don't generally let them sleep in unless there was something serious going on that prevented them from getting sleep.

Quoting MotherLady:

My children have never been tardy. And have only missed for medical reasons WITH a doctors note.

LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM
I wouldn't do that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Seagodess
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Totally agree. I sleep for about 5-6 hours a night. It sucks and if I left my body to do what it wanted it would sleep for 10. However that just isn't going to happen.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's important to keep in mind that school is preparation for the work force. While our children still may be children this type of behavior sets a trend that may be difficult to break down the road. It could easily fail her because she never learned what to do in the event of a restless night sleep. 

Sleep is very important and in an ideal world we would all sleep until our natural cycle ended, unfortunately that is not the case and we all must adapt. 

Quoting Seagodess:

This is a good point. I didn't really think about that.

Sleep is very important, but eventually she will have to suck it up and learn to go without sleep. How long does she get to sleep at night? If she gets 6-7 hours at least she should be fine. How often is it happening? Try putting her to bed earlier. Have you talked to her Dr? If its a daily/simi daily thing, then another solution needs to be found. If its every few weeks, it is probably ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

My children are never tardy. While I agree a well rested child does better when she's an adult this type of thing isn't going to keep her employed.  I find it important to teach my children how to preform regardless of illness or lack of rest. 

mommmy3x
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

No way! You will get arrested here if your kid misses too much school.

socalxbombshell
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:17 AM

No, I don't.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)