Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever lied about where you live so your child can go to a different school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We live in a very small school district with a great school. We are rural but close to the city. The district is divided into 2 areas really, money and poor. This in itself has its own issues. We live in the nice area and are not poor. My friend is on the school board and told me about the 20 kids that suddenly registered in our school that they believe are lying about where they live. That is a huge amount for a small school! Have you lied about where you live? If so, what were your reasons? Why did you think you had the right to do that? Did you get caught? If you got caught, what happen?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (21-30):
littlesippycup
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM

How embarrassing for those families. 

Quoting Anonymous:

They are going to investigate and have them followed. They did last year and removed several students.

Quoting littlesippycup:

No. So, what are they going to do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:58 PM
How did you feel about that?

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Nope. We have open enrollment in our district, which means that as long as their is space available, then you can enroll at that school.

When schools are assigned in August, if there isn't enough space for your child to go to their "home" school, the board pretty much says " too bad, you should have registered sooner".

I registered my son in May, but then decided on another school, in early August. There were only two spots left for Kindergarten and they hadn't even done the "assignment" kids yet. No kids living in that neighborhood got into that school..

caito
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

No, but my parents did so I could go to the city schools. The city district started quite literally across the street. They lied so I could go to the city school because it was only five minutes away, the county school was 20 minutes away.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

We live in one of the best school districts in our state, consequently, you have to prove you live here. If your name is not on the tax records (because you are renting, for example), you have to provide a copy of your lease or a notarized letter from the landlord as well as two utility bills to prove you live at the address.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM
That's what I was thinking. Plus it must be stressful. Lying about it and looking over your shoulder.

Quoting littlesippycup:

How embarrassing for those families. 

Quoting Anonymous:

They are going to investigate and have them followed. They did last year and removed several students.

Quoting littlesippycup:

No. So, what are they going to do?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

No. But we also have school of choice.

sheellyyo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Yes I did 15 yrs ago.  Ds had to go to school in my parents town, cause I couldn't afford daycare.  I tried to get daycare assistance but I made $12 to much to qualify.  I didn't get child support.  This was my only option.  The state told me to quit my job and be on state assistance.  I couldn't stoop that low.  That is the only time I had ever applied for help for P.A.  Never again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Doesn't like anyone really gets away with it. Why do you think you have the right to do that? Why not move?

Quoting Anonymous:

No, but I'm going to keep that idea in mind. I hate my DD's current school.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:01 PM
You have to show proof of address here. I wouldn't know how to do it.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I wonder how these people got around that because we do too.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

We live in one of the best school districts in our state, consequently, you have to prove you live here. If your name is not on the tax records (because you are renting, for example), you have to provide a copy of your lease or a notarized letter from the landlord as well as two utility bills to prove you live at the address.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN