Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever lied about where you live so your child can go to a different school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We live in a very small school district with a great school. We are rural but close to the city. The district is divided into 2 areas really, money and poor. This in itself has its own issues. We live in the nice area and are not poor. My friend is on the school board and told me about the 20 kids that suddenly registered in our school that they believe are lying about where they live. That is a huge amount for a small school! Have you lied about where you live? If so, what were your reasons? Why did you think you had the right to do that? Did you get caught? If you got caught, what happen?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Yes, it was for a good reason.  My kid had been bullied into a depression so we used grandma's address and were able to put her into a school with better scores and with friends she knew from church.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:03 PM

It's possible they are using a family member's address? That would be the only thing I could think. So they would have the family member claim they are the "landlord" and have them provide a letter. The utility thing would be hard though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I wonder how these people got around that because we do too.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

We live in one of the best school districts in our state, consequently, you have to prove you live here. If your name is not on the tax records (because you are renting, for example), you have to provide a copy of your lease or a notarized letter from the landlord as well as two utility bills to prove you live at the address.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:05 PM
How long did it last? Did you get caught?

Quoting Anonymous:

Yes, it was for a good reason.  My kid had been bullied into a depression so we used grandma's address and were able to put her into a school with better scores and with friends she knew from church.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:06 PM
That's why I was thinking. The school board may ask for a home visit to see where they sleep. Cannot imagine.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

It's possible they are using a family member's address? That would be the only thing I could think. So they would have the family member claim they are the "landlord" and have them provide a letter. The utility thing would be hard though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

We live in one of the best school districts in our state, consequently, you have to prove you live here. If your name is not on the tax records (because you are renting, for example), you have to provide a copy of your lease or a notarized letter from the landlord as well as two utility bills to prove you live at the address.

Cmgmqmmom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:07 PM

it's unfortunate because it's just parents wanting to do right by their kids and get them a decent education, but at the same time, it's incredibly dishonest and may put the kids in a position where they have to lie.  

Quoting Anonymous:

That's why I was thinking. The school board may ask for a home visit to see where they sleep. Cannot imagine.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:08 PM

No.  You have to provide proof of residency in our city.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My friend on the school board said the exact same thing. She feels bad for the kids and she understands why parents do it, but they cannot allow it.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

it's unfortunate because it's just parents wanting to do right by their kids and get them a decent education, but at the same time, it's incredibly dishonest and may put the kids in a position where they have to lie.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM

4 years and no bc she rode the bus to her grandmothers after school so there was never much questioning of her "home". 

pipers_mom
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:09 PM
Yes, but with the schools permission. We have mulitple districs here, and when we moved into town dd should have transfered, but the preschool waiting list was too long and she wouldnt have been able to attend school anymore. The school she was already in (i went to the same one as a kid) told us to use my moms address so she could finish the year. We transfered her to the in town district the next year, didnt like it, and moved back into the outskirts that summer so she could go back to her orginal school and has been going there since.
mes_deux_amours
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM
No
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)