Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Have you ever lied about where you live so your child can go to a different school?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
We live in a very small school district with a great school. We are rural but close to the city. The district is divided into 2 areas really, money and poor. This in itself has its own issues. We live in the nice area and are not poor. My friend is on the school board and told me about the 20 kids that suddenly registered in our school that they believe are lying about where they live. That is a huge amount for a small school! Have you lied about where you live? If so, what were your reasons? Why did you think you had the right to do that? Did you get caught? If you got caught, what happen?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:11 PM
What if your child has special needs and you lie. Is that fair to a school district that you are not paying taxes in? She brought up that point that sometimes the child's education can go up to $100,000 a year if your child has special needs.
theresaphilly
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Nope, we live in a school district with excellent public and private schools. A parent from another school district did and she was outed and the daughter was transferred back to a school in her district. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM

We have to show proof of residency in order to enroll. It is really hard to lie and not get caught. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:12 PM
That must have been rough. How did she get caught?

Quoting theresaphilly:

Nope, we live in a school district with excellent public and private schools. A parent from another school district did and she was outed and the daughter was transferred back to a school in her district. 

....ClvrScn.
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I'm happy about that !! My kid got into the school that I wanted him to go to, because I enrolled him on time, and didn't just expect the board to get him in on time..

If I had missed the enrollment, I would be pissed at myself for putting it off too long

Quoting Anonymous:

How did you feel about that?

Quoting ....ClvrScn.:

Nope. We have open enrollment in our district, which means that as long as their is space available, then you can enroll at that school.

When schools are assigned in August, if there isn't enough space for your child to go to their "home" school, the board pretty much says " too bad, you should have registered sooner".

I registered my son in May, but then decided on another school, in early August. There were only two spots left for Kindergarten and they hadn't even done the "assignment" kids yet. No kids living in that neighborhood got into that school..

Torienslilmama
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Yep i am right now, way better school than what he is zoned for.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
So why not move and make it fair?

Quoting Torienslilmama:

Yep i am right now, way better school than what he is zoned for.

mylifemylove864
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:15 PM
No, we just make sure that we live in the better school districts.

The schools ask for proof of address with a utility bill or lease or mortgage paperwork.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Yes. We are currently doing so. My son is enrolled in the 7th grade in a school he is not zoned for. He started 6th grade in the school he should go to but he was bullied by a few boys. He was also yelled at a couple of times by a teacher for interrupting class by saying something to one of the boys who was picking on him. We have a house across town that we sold to a friend through a rent to own type of agreement, but our name is still on the property. I took an old water bill of ours for that address and enrolled my son in the middle school that that house in zoned for. We switched him about 9 weeks into the 6th grade. He has done so much better at the new school. He is able to take three honors classes at the new school instead of only two at his old school. He also has more friends and is just happier all around. The only thing is I have to take him back and forth to school everyday. But that is really not a problem since it's actually closer to us than the school he is supposed to go to. If I had not been able to enroll him using our previous address, I have a friend who has custody of her grandson who is one of my son's best friends, who would have let me use her address by writing a letter to the school stating that we were staying with them. Since I was able to provide the water bill when I enrolled him, he will continue at that school until high school. All of our mail from the school goes to our PO box.

lilbit53009
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:18 PM

can your school board do that? i wouldn't want to be in any school that can just come into your home for a visit to see where my child sleeps

Quoting Anonymous:

That's why I was thinking. The school board may ask for a home visit to see where they sleep. Cannot imagine.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

It's possible they are using a family member's address? That would be the only thing I could think. So they would have the family member claim they are the "landlord" and have them provide a letter. The utility thing would be hard though. 

Quoting Anonymous:

I wonder how these people got around that because we do too.

Quoting Cmgmqmmom:

We live in one of the best school districts in our state, consequently, you have to prove you live here. If your name is not on the tax records (because you are renting, for example), you have to provide a copy of your lease or a notarized letter from the landlord as well as two utility bills to prove you live at the address.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)