Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you think it's okay to call other people's kids out on their rudeness?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: Do you think it's okay to call other people's kids out on their rudeness?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 325

View Results

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Replies (41-50):
inspain
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:38 PM

Yes.  This happened last month.  I told one of DD's friends that I'd appreciate it if he'd start saying "please" and "thank you".  He's 9.  I told him that I will not be doing anything for him if he doesn't say "please" and, if he doesn't say "thank you" he doesn't have to come over any more.  He's always been a bit rude, never saying "hello" and often just ignoring adults.  He's had some problems with other kids too.

That same day, about an hour later, DD came to me and told me that she'd like him to go home.  NOW.  She said they were playing a game on my phone and he asked her why she didn't have the full version.   She said, "I haven't asked and my mom doesn't like to put a lot of games on her phone."  He replied, "What a bitch.  My mom gets me whatever games I tell her to get me."  

I called his mother and told her what had happened and she was mortified.  She came and picked him up and apologized profusely.  She was furious when they left.  She called me that evening and apologized again, telling me that he admitted saying it, refused to apologize, told her I was a bitch for telling him he had to say "please" and "thank you" and he never wants to go over here again.  She was practically in tears and told me that she'd taken away all of his Legos, his Wii and his iPad and he's locked in his room and screaming that she's a bitch.  She said she didn't know what else to do.  I felt bad for her.  Still do.  By the time her husband came home, he told the dad that everyone was lying and he never said any of that.  Fortunately the dad didn't believe him.  This isn't new behavior.  The mom is thinking of taking the kid to a therapist.  In the mean time, DD just can't get over why he's being such a jerk, but she told me that she needs new friends.  

Mbpeaceful12
by Bronze Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband had to do it on Saturday at the church's picnic. My four-year-old was pushed in the pool by a three-year-old and almost hit her head on the side of the pool. Although we were a couple of feet away, the pushing happened so quickly. The child's mother was on the other side of the park playing cards. When it got back to her, she wanted to fight my husband "for sayin' sumethan'" to her child-knowing if my child would've had to go to the hospital, she would not have enough money on her EBT card to pay for the bill. The mother did not apologize. She shrugged her shoulders and at church, walked right past me like nothing was said or done. When my children are out-of-pocket, not only do I make sure they apologize, but I apologize as well. I do believe if you do not want anyone else to chide or correct your child, you SHOULD BE WITH YOUR CHILD. My four-year-old is okay, thank God.

Jessy76
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
3 moms liked this

Absolutely. Sometimes kids especially young ones don't even realize they are being rude. I always try to explain to them what they did that was rude and why it was rude. Ignoring rude behavior only allows it to get worse. I would want someone to firmly but politely correct my child if they were being rude and I wasn't there to correct them myself.

KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:46 PM
3 moms liked this

A young teen or preteen spit in the water fountain at the park and I gave him a good earful about the little children that were around and would be drinking after that, and I asked the young man to come back and rinse it out.

Kid was probably around 11-13 yrs old, and I had no problem letting him know VERY CLEARLY how disrespectful and disgusting that was.

Another example, my neighbor lets her 3 yr old son ring my doorbell every five minutes or spend the day yelling in my front door.   Despite numerous times of sending him home, I finally bent down to his level and made it clear.  "No more coming over today, the kids are doing their schoolwork and cannot play with him until they are finished.  They also cannot get finished if he keeps ringing the doorbell."   He argued with me and I very clearly told him that he needed to go home and stay home and that kids weren't allowed to talk back to adults at our house....

You would hate me.... LOL!!!

Quoting Sekirei:

I would rather people not attempt to discipline my child in any way... I want them to come to me about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I do it whether or not anyone else thinks it's ok.

othermom
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it depends on the situation. If they are being rude to my kids I will say something. If they are being really rude and upseting another child I will say something

Ultra_
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Yes. I'm around kids tons. At schools, my old job was in a daycare. I'm always at my kids' school for pto. I help out with the kids' ministry at church. They don't expect it, ever! They're used to just being coddled.

Qmama206
by Nobi ❤️ on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:49 PM
If its a child that you know personally I think it's absolutely okay to correct them. If its a child that you don't know you don't have any place speaking to them. It's always better to talk to the parents.
Schizomom91
by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:54 PM
1 mom liked this

If they are speaking to myself or my children, I would speak up, no matter who's kid it was. Otherwise, whatever... not my kid.

ReachtotheStars
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:56 PM

I chose not to vote because it depends.  

If they are rude to me or my children I would just nicely correct them, however if I just see it then no.  

Another situation.  If I was their current caregiver.  I would call them out on it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN