Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think is the biggest reason kids today are so rude?

Posted by   + Show Post

Poll

Question: What do you think is the biggest reason kids today are so rude?

Options:

They're getting bad examples from the media

Their parents are allowing rude behavior

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 331

View Results

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
Roo1234
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:54 PM
1 mom liked this
neither of the above is the sole reason. think about how little practice must kids get at using their manners- a lot of them eat meals in their cars or alone after extra curricular practices / classes. lunchrooms aren't set up for kids to get practice either. they are about eating as quickly as possible. add to that must kids don't witness most adults being good examples because this decline had been going on for more than a generation. lastly, we are living in a more and more disconnected, isolationist society. social/ electric media doesn't demand manners, yet another lost opportunity.
Irish_mama_2011
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Wow, I'm surprised that most people aren't trying to put the blame on the media, after all, it's the parents who decide what kids can and can't watch.

grannie_kel
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 2:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Spare the rod/spoil the child.  Words from long ago when children did learn respect.  These days not enough people believe in those words and children have no respect for anyone, even their parents. 

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Wait...when were kids not rude?

Boy...nostalgia is romantic, isn't it?

mom2theA-team
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Neither. I think the parents are rude and the children are learning from their behavior. I see parents attempt to correct the bad behavior from their kids... but the same women I know are bitches all around. 

rosewind13
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:08 PM

You're 100% correct. Everyone is told it is wrong to discipline their children so no one does. Then they grow up never expecting consequences and feeling like they are being wronged when there are consequences for their bad decisions. Welcome to the age of entitlement. 

Quoting laranadtony:

Because they don't have 50 "parents" like we did.

We did not mess around in mrs davis' garden because she would paddle our butts, then both parents would paddle our butts and we had better home grandma was not mrs davis' friend because she was coming from atlanta to paddle our butts.

Kids have NOTHING  to fear now because it is "wrong" to put fear in them.

JTE11
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:09 PM

I'm thinking that even if they are getting so many bad examples from media their parents are still responsible for letting them see it, and if they don't mind them seeing all of that they probably aren't going to be concerned about the kids imitating the bad behavior. Parents are at the source, either way.

RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Lack of discipline and parents wanting to be 'friends' instead of parents.
rosewind13
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Exactly... I heard a little boy telling his mom "F-ck you!" in the store the other day. She did nothing. If I said that as a child I wouldn't have been able to see straight for a week. And I would have deserved it, too.

Quoting grannie_kel:

Spare the rod/spoil the child.  Words from long ago when children did learn respect.  These days not enough people believe in those words and children have no respect for anyone, even their parents. 

cupomeow
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Both
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)