Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Are table manners important

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 22 Replies

Where you taught table manners? Do you teach your children them ? I waited tables for 7 years and it amazed me all the time the number of adults that eat like pigs. 

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
vegaswife2011
by Emerald Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Yes, yes, and I agree! 

PinkyPan
by Ruby Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Absolutely table manners are important. 

Snapdragon88
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:51 PM
No, I was not taught table manners... but somehow, even as a child, I realized how important they were.

I teach my son table manners.
crafteechic
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM
Yes, I was taught table manners and I teach my kids table manners
Destiny907
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:52 PM
1 mom liked this

YES I think good manners are important.   People today are getting... well, cruder and cruder.   From the way they walk around dressed in public, their language, all around.  

Like we are being lowered and lowered in the pond scum.   Things that were once considered "done only by the trashy" are being accepted as "mainstream".   So where does that leave us, but down and down....

catholicmamamia
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

Yes, yes.. of course. I know what you mean.. :o/ 

pce68
by Patti on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I taught my daughter some basic table manners - not as strict as my parents were taught - but basic courtesy. 

SalemWitchChild
by Blessed be on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

This!

Quoting vegaswife2011:

Yes, yes, and I agree! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Table manners are incredibly important to be a succesful adult. How are my children supposed to eat at business dinners if I don't teach them which fork to use and to rise when a woman leaves the table?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 17, 2013 at 8:59 PM

YES very important. We were out one Sunday recently and there was this big kid, probably 16 eating with his mouth open, talking loud. Calling on his cell phone to someone etc etc.  Now he did not appear to have any disabilities from the conversation he was having and the fact he was talking about his class schedule with his parents and his honors classes and the college was planning. He was talking about the sports he was involved in as so much better at than anyone else.  He was full of himself and we heard it all.  He just was eating rudely and being loud.  His parents seemed to think he was the bomb.  My kids knew at 2 or 3 not to eat with their mouths open.My cousin with down's syndrome ws taught the same.  Honestly you could tell he had the ability but not the care to be polite. It was disgusting.  I have seen big kids eating with their hands. Gross and disgusting. Even children that have disabilities can learn to eat correctly and may need gentle reminders but don't let your kids get away with acting like they are the bomb and have the right to talk as loudly and what not as they want. This was not a kid having a melt down or a kid that didn't know what he was doing. He had the swagger and all to go with his thought he was the bomb. The kid was sitting in my eyesight and his manners could not be missed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)