Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this weird?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My kids calls dh papa and me mama.

Is it the norm or a bit common to hear papa around where you are? We live in Boston and its not really popular here but I think it's semi-normal where we're from; Utah.

....I know mama is common. I was asking if papa was common or normal to you.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:49 AM
Replies (11-16):
kriss1023
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:17 AM
I'm from OK and all the men called papa that I know are grandfathers. That what I called my grandfather and what the my kids call my dad.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

My husband's dad went by Pops to his kids and now Papa to the grandkids but it isn't very common for a dad to be Papa where I live except with Hispanic cultures. My FIL is from OK but I don't know if it is a more popular name there too. 

I don't know how I hit the italics button, sorry.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:37 AM

Oh, Papa is used fairly frequently here for grandpas but I rarely hear it used for dads unless the child is Hispanic. Do the dads in OK get called Papa or is it only when they become grandfathers?

Quoting kriss1023:

I'm from OK and all the men called papa that I know are grandfathers. That what I called my grandfather and what the my kids call my dad.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

My husband's dad went by Pops to his kids and now Papa to the grandkids but it isn't very common for a dad to be Papa where I live except with Hispanic cultures. My FIL is from OK but I don't know if it is a more popular name there too. 

kriss1023
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:46 AM
I don't know any fathers that are called papa by their children. All I know are grandfathers the are called that by the grandkids.

We live in a town with a very large Mexican population, the kids in my neighborhood, that I've heard at least, all call their fathers.... poppy or dad.

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

Oh, Papa is used fairly frequently here for grandpas but I rarely hear it used for dads unless the child is Hispanic. Do the dads in OK get called Papa or is it only when they become grandfathers?

Quoting kriss1023:

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

avulgamo
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:05 AM
I'm mommy, dh is daddy. Grandpa is papa and grandma is mawmaw. My son came up with these on his own.
Livv066
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:15 AM
Just mommy or Daddy in our house.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 4:15 AM

I'm in Wi and it seems to be pretty normal here. On the other side of things I have a Mema and that gets me looks like you wouldn't believe lol. I think Nana and Papa is what most people here seem to go with. ETA: Oh sleep deprived brain, we're talking about parents and not grandparents lol. No, Papa isn't the norm for dad's here, sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured