Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Dad Slams Judgmental 'Child-Free' Busybodies in Amazing, Viral Blog Post

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM
  • 176 Replies
5 moms liked this

Dad Slams Judgmental 'Child-Free' Busybodies in Amazing, Viral Blog Post

by Jenny Erikson

Matt Walsh is a blogger, talk radio host, and dad to twins, and he recently had some words for a judgey non-parent about his deplorable attitude toward a young mom with a tantruming toddler in the grocery store.

Apparently, Matt was out shopping for ingredients to make chili when two things happened. One, he was recognized by a fan, and two, a mom was doing the best she could to manage her unruly toddler, who seemed to be ticked off because mom wouldn’t let him have the sugary cereal.

Matt writes:

I felt the woman’s pain ... She could bribe her kid into silence, but she was sticking to her guns. Good for her, I thought. Sure, if she’d only meet his ransom demands, my bean purchasing experience would be a bit more pleasurable, but I was rooting for her nonetheless. Not everyone felt the same way, apparently.

This is when the aforementioned fan loudly said, “Man, some people need to learn how to control their f**king kids.” Matt surmised that the guy looked about 19 or 20 and, with that kind of attitude, was obviously not a parent. It was also obvious that the mama heard the rude comment, so Matt said what any totally awesome, ballsy, knight-in-shining-dad-armor would:

Man, some people need to learn how to shut their mouths, watch their language, and mind their own business.

Parenting kids, especially little kids, is tough work, and Matt spends the rest of the post describing how not only non-parents turn into Judgey McJudgersons around young families, but how sometimes the older generation does too. He writes that parents of grown children sometimes “tend to dismiss the fact that modern parenting presents unique challenges, some of which didn’t apply several decades ago.”

And that brings us to one of my favorite lines written on the Internet this week:

I always love the older folks who lecture about how THEIR kids weren’t as 'attached to electronics' as kids are nowadays. That’s probably true, but mainly because, well, YOU DIDN’T HAVE ELECTRONICS. You had a toaster and a black and white TV with 2 channels, both of which were pretty easy to regulate. But, sure, congratulations for not letting your kids use things that didn’t exist. On that note, I have a strict 'no time machines or hover-boards' policy in my home. It is stringently enforced. I’m thinking of writing a parenting book: 'How to Stop Your Child From Becoming Dependent Upon Technology That Isn’t Invented Yet.'

Thank you Matt Walsh, from the bottom of this mama’s heart. If I could reach through the computer and give you a hug, I would.

Has your attitude on unruly toddlers changed since you became a parent?

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GaleJ
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM
No not at all, I understand the reasons for the behaviors and since it is part of a normal range I have never felt it was a big problem for me as an observer. I have however become upset with parents when they have not handled the situation in an appropriate manner and by that I mean by hitting or other extreme means.
mom2the.rescue
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this

lol, oh yes.  I used to think it would never be my kid throwing a tantrum in a store.  Or my kid would never talk back to me.  Blah blah blah.  The moms who end up with the kids who never do the stuff kids do...either have weirdo kids or they'll be weirdos one day.

november117
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:03 AM
I was never one to judge even when I didn't have kids. I know kids will be kids.

However, totally unrelated, I CANNOT stand people who whistle throughout the store. It bugs the ever living daylights out of me. Lol.
anyotherday
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:08 AM
4 moms liked this

And you know what. The childfree dont give two cents about what he had to say. They, and a good portion of us with kids, still believe that you should keep your damn kids under control in public. 

My mom once left a weeks worth of groceries sitting in the middle of the grocery store because us kids were being BRATS. She taught us that misbehaving at the grocery store=sandwiches and cold cereal for a week (she must have gone back while we were in school for milk and the veggies we still had to eat at supper time, but we were little and didnt understand that)

consequences. CONSEQUENCES. We didnt act like that again, for sure. Just because she was sticking to her guns about the cereal does NOT mean she was doing the right thing by keeping him in the store. 

fiddlerbird555
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I was childless for many years. I found that in the eyes of certain "mommies" that meant it was totally impossible for me to say anything intelligent or sympathetic about children. Even to observe, "that's a tantrum, all right" with absolutely no comment about whether it could have been prevented (and I was thinking, "what a bummer that those things happen" and not "obviously she's failing as a parent")  got my sister (I point this out, because I wasn't a stranger) totally offended and not speaking to me for the rest of the year.

My brother, a teacher without children in his household, has obseved the same thing "YOU'RE NOT A PARENT" rhymes with "YOU IGNROANT FOOL, YOU", though in some ways he knows more about kids than most parents.

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
She could have left the store. Problem solved. I really hate parents that inflict their screaming children on the public just because they want to.
kellysparkles
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I read this yesterday and I LOVE it!!  I love the quote, "Parenting is the easiest thing to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing to do."  

My DD is only 8 months and I've had the embarrassing fit in the store and have gotten dirty looks (even though she's an infant and there's no controlling those), so this article made me feel better :)

JDmommyJD
by the sauce is boss on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM
29 moms liked this

The underlined part..

1- how rude and inconsiderate to the grocery worker who had to go put all that shit away.

2- I dont think we should let our kids dictate us. You act up so I say fine and discontinue my task? Oh no no, I do not think so. You will be handled, but do not dare think you are going to decide what I do- and when. There will be consequences, and you will not be happy...and IF that means first, other shoppers will have to deal with you whining for 5minutes, boo friggen hoo. They will get over it, I promise.

Quoting anyotherday:

And you know what. The childfree dont give two cents about what he had to say. They, and a good portion of us with kids, still believe that you should keep your damn kids under control in public. 

My mom once left a weeks worth of groceries sitting in the middle of the grocery store because us kids were being BRATS. She taught us that misbehaving at the grocery store=sandwiches and cold cereal for a week (she must have gone back while we were in school for milk and the veggies we still had to eat at supper time, but we were little and didnt understand that)

consequences. CONSEQUENCES. We didnt act like that again, for sure. Just because she was sticking to her guns about the cereal does NOT mean she was doing the right thing by keeping him in the store. 

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:34 AM

No, I always knew toddlers were not perfect. I know my SIL's views changed.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:43 AM
2 moms liked this

I've never had a problem with kids having tantrums. I tune them out

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)