Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

DON'T FLIPPIN VOLUNTEER THEN!!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 6 Replies

If you volunteer for a position please do that job.

I get it is just a volunteer position but if you don't do it things don't get done & things fall apart, this is just one of the countless reasons people hate FRG's (family readiness group).  I get so many complaints about the lack of info sent out & lack of communication.

I have POC's (point of contact) for a reason, if you don't want to do it then just say so I will be more than happy to fill that position.

We have a deployment coming up & quite a few new families, I have just started doing it all bc information was not getting sent out.  I am beyond frustrated!

So please just bc it is a "volunteer" position doesn't mean you can sit & do nothing, collect the hours to make it look good (when you really aren't doing anything).  Honestly there are people counting on you, many don't like FRG's & one of the reasons is this.  But things won't change if this things like this don't get fixed.  Some don't need the FRG some do but our's isn't just about info as we do a ton of stuff, we'd get more people if the info got out!

I know this vent is going to get a lot of "I hate FRGs" I understand that, but I just needed to vent.  I hated my hubby's old FRG they sucked but the one before that was amazing & I want this one to be like that!

I appreciate all my volunteers but a few just don't do anything!

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

bump

NeverTooMany
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:35 AM

I agree 100%! People do not realize that breaking the POC chain can cause a lot of issues for families.

happinessforyou
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Yeah- I ran into this A LOT when I volunteered at my kid's school. I always ran into the mom's who wanted to do easy things like make some phone calls, but almost nobody wanted to do the actual work. It was very frustrating..... But the good thing that came out of all that is that the core group of us became good friends and we got a lot of good things done for the schools. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

It is driving me nuts & the Commander has brought the soldiers in bc of the issues.  Do spouses not realize that this doesn't make their soldiers look good?

I know the Commander wasn't flipping on them but I know he doesn't want to remove the spouses either, he hates doing that.  The POC's are also the wive's of the Commanders of those detachments so I just don't get how hard this is.

The one commander from the detachment that is deploying finally messaged me after weeks of trying to go through his wife (who sent me no info) or my husband who relayed info the best he could (my DH is the XO for the company) and kept telling this man (they are the same rank so not real awkward) to contact me. He kept saying he was relying on his wife.  The company commander & I sat down the other day & I told him that when it comes to finding out what the commanders want in these meetings I prefer they communicate directly with me, that I don't feel it should go through the POC.  I prefer to work directly with the commanders when it comes to planning these meetings.  Company Commander completely agreed.  Not sure if that makes any sense, but between not getting info from this woman or her husband & another detachment not sending out info I am beyond frustrated.

FRG leader was kind of dropped in my lap & I don't mind but I refuse to have a crappy FRG!!!!

Quoting NeverTooMany:

I agree 100%! People do not realize that breaking the POC chain can cause a lot of issues for families.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:50 AM

Yup had this issue with our PTA which I'm also the VP of.

Those who volunteered to be in charge of communication didn't put out the info or do anything else, the core group did it all.  We are all really close but thankfully our friendships can withstand our crankiness bc we get snippy w/each other as we get burned out by the end of the year or the end of a big month.  We have Apple Fest coming up which is a HUGE fundraiser & then Trunk or Treat along w/little things in between.

We have a few new mama's who are jumping right in thankfully, we are all hoping they make it to the end of the year :)

Quoting happinessforyou:

Yeah- I ran into this A LOT when I volunteered at my kid's school. I always ran into the mom's who wanted to do easy things like make some phone calls, but almost nobody wanted to do the actual work. It was very frustrating..... But the good thing that came out of all that is that the core group of us became good friends and we got a lot of good things done for the schools. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:30 AM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured