Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

to seal the molars or not?

Posted by   + Show Post
At DDs dental appt they said her 6 yr molars were coming in and asked me if I wanted to get them sealed. I asked what they did, they said its basically like painting your nails, its a coating that will protect her teeth from getting cavities. I said okay and we scheduled it, because I was like cool, they can just put a coating on her teeth and shes good to go?

Shes already pretty anal about brushing multiple times a day and she has no signs of decay, just an underbite. Ive now read up on it and I am not quite sure what I want. Basically they are putting something on her teeth to damage them to create a rough surface, and then putting the coating on them, then using the blue light to set it.. and there is a 50% failure rate within 5 years anyway? What? Is it really worth it?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Replies (21-26):
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:43 PM
There isn't really anything to compare it to. Its just a type of resin. Think about it this way... there aren't any cases of someone who had a bad reaction to sealants, unlike both types of fillings which you are more likely to need. The failure rate is high because they want it to come off every few years. Failure rates of fillings mean taking away more natural tooth structure. There are trace amounts of BPA from the manufacturing process (the material is stored in plastic syringes) in 1/10 of sealants. You get more BPA from a can of tomatoes.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

What the coatinf have in it? 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Yes absolutely. I was a dental assistant and did several every day. I even did my son's.

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Thanks for the info. 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

There isn't really anything to compare it to. Its just a type of resin. Think about it this way... there aren't any cases of someone who had a bad reaction to sealants, unlike both types of fillings which you are more likely to need. The failure rate is high because they want it to come off every few years. Failure rates of fillings mean taking away more natural tooth structure. There are trace amounts of BPA from the manufacturing process (the material is stored in plastic syringes) in 1/10 of sealants. You get more BPA from a can of tomatoes.

Quoting P.V.Hawkwind:

What the coating have in it? 

Quoting quickbooksworm:

Yes absolutely. I was a dental assistant and did several every day. I even did my son's.

SuperPickle
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:46 PM

I had mine done as a kid several times and again when I was 23 never had any cavities until I was 30.

My kids have all had them done and my oldest has only had one small cavity that snuck in because the tooth was not FULLY erupted when they first did the seals.

TrouserMouse
by Emerald Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:48 PM
My kids had theirs done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Neither of my older kids had it done and they have zero cavities. One is completely anal about oral hygiene and the other is completely careless. They just do not have the bacteria in their mouths that cause cavities.
cfcf
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 7:53 PM
I had it done as a kid. I've only ever needed one filling and it was so tiny I was in and out of the dentist office in 10 min without any numbing...so yes, I will do it for dd.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured