Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I AM TOTALLY ICKED OUT!!

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 34 Replies
My 8 year old son was taking a shower and had left the bathroom door open. We were in the living room and started hearing......noises. As they continued for a little while I walked down the hallway and peeked into the bathroom. I noticed the shower curtain moving in time to the noises. I didn't say anything and walked quickly back down the hallway. Do you think he was really doing.....that? He is only 8!!! How would you handle this? Would you talk to him, let his dad talk to him, or bury deep into your subconscious and pretend it never happened? I should mention that we have noticed over the last month or so, he has started taking 30 minute, or longer, showers.
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Bump!
purpleducky
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Have you had the sex talk with him yet?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:31 PM
3 moms liked this

Have you had any talks with him about puberty and sexuality?

If not, it might be time to start.  Some boys are hitting puberty by age 9 these days.

For now, I would talk to him about privacy and that he needs to remember to keep the door closed while showering.  If you see him playing with himself out and about, tell him that is behavior for his bedroom or the bathroom, it is rude to do in public.  Remind him to wash his hands, too.

You and DH need to sit down and decide what to say and when.  Your pediatrician should be able to suggest some material to help with the topic should you need it.  It's going to be important for you and DH to have a united front.  It's also going to be important that you not allow him to see you being grossed out or uncomfortable, as that can make him less likely to come to you with questions down the road.

Good luck.

plumbobtoggle
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:33 PM

As long as he's keeping it private, don't even acknowledge it. Unless he's running up your water bill, in which case just ask him to take shorter showers.

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:35 PM
0____o

I would say its time for the sex talk.
Dad and I would be giving it.

krazymom2boyz
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
We have had a few talks about sex and puberty, I guess we need to have a few more! Lol I am absolutely not going to let him see me be grossed out, I agree I don't want him ashamed of it or himself. I read my hubby your reply and he laughed at the line about him washing his hands. Since the soap in their bathroom has been disappearing, we think j his hands are very clean. Ew and yet lol, sort of.

Quoting Anonymous:

If not, it might be time to start.  Some boys are hitting puberty by age 9 these days.

For now, I would talk to him about privacy and that he needs to remember to keep the door closed while showering.  If you see him playing with himself out and about, tell him that is behavior for his bedroom or the bathroom, it is rude to do in public.  Remind him to wash his hands, too.

You and DH need to sit down and decide what to say and when.  Your pediatrician should be able to suggest some material to help with the topic should you need it.  It's going to be important for you and DH to have a united front.  It's also going to be important that you not allow him to see you being grossed out or uncomfortable, as that can make him less likely to come to you with questions down the road.

Good luck.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
My daughter is 4 and has been doing "that" for years. My son is 2 and likes to play with himself but not to the extent that my daughter does. They both just know its something that makes them feel good and I don't think of it as a sexual thing because they are both too young to be sexual. Talk to him about privacy but don't shame him for something kids do naturally from a very young age.
amberbamber0213
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Your daughter has been doing that for years Ithink is odd. My daughter is 3 and dont even know that part of herself yet thank god

Quoting Anonymous:

My daughter is 4 and has been doing "that" for years. My son is 2 and likes to play with himself but not to the extent that my daughter does. They both just know its something that makes them feel good and I don't think of it as a sexual thing because they are both too young to be sexual. Talk to him about privacy but don't shame him for something kids do naturally from a very young age.

brettsmomma
by ~Tammie~ on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Respect his privacy.

Photo: -Randi.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:44 PM

LOL

Well, as a head's up:

You might want to start teaching him to keep tissue in his room and get him a trash bin.  And teach him to change his sheets.  I've heard some stories of Moms who went to change the sheets and they were crusty and crackling!  If he messes his sheets, it's his mess to clean up.

Good luck.

Quoting krazymom2boyz:

We have had a few talks about sex and puberty, I guess we need to have a few more! Lol I am absolutely not going to let him see me be grossed out, I agree I don't want him ashamed of it or himself. I read my hubby your reply and he laughed at the line about him washing his hands. Since the soap in their bathroom has been disappearing, we think j his hands are very clean. Ew and yet lol, sort of.

Quoting Anonymous:

Good luck.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN