Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What is WRONG with you?!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 21 Replies

So, I'm a fairly messed-up individual. My brain is just absolutely screwy. I have verbal disorders, auditory disorders, sensory disorders, mental disorders... I need a new brain, lol.

One of the main things that really trips everyone up (including myself) is auditory processing disorder. It's like dyslexia for the ears, basically; if someone says something to me, I might catch a word or two, but everything else literally sounds like gibberish. Basically, "Blarbgek fuchitoo pizza smismif cheese?" Lmao.

Point being, no one believes me; hell, I've even given up on explaining it to my boss, and instead, I just went with, "I'm partially deaf, I can't hear what you're saying." And DH especially gets PISSED when he has to repeat himself. Half of the time I can only understand what someone says because I can read their lips and at least guess most of it, but he has a habit of not looking full-on at me when he talks (i.e., when playing a game or changing a diaper), or trying to tell me something from another room. So I end up having to have him repeat it three or four or more times, and he just rolls his eyes and sighs, saying "Nevermind. Jeez."

I've explained it all to him before, how my brain doesn't process speech correctly, how he might need to just look me in the eye and repeat what he said, slowly, once, and that should be fine... Like seriously, how hard is it to just look at me and speak a little bit slower? If he were to do that, I wouldn't need him to repeat things five times. Just once, slowly, and I can manage. We've been married over a year now, and together twice that.

I'm really getting frustrated over this, and so is he. He feels like I'm not paying attention to him, or that I'm ignoring him; I feel like he's making it harder on both of us because he already knows the simple thing he needs to do for my brain to process what he's saying, but he'd rather speak rapid-fire at me over his shoulder six times and then get exasperated instead of just meeting my eyes and speaking normally.

Anyone else experience anything like this?

Is there a way I can get it into DH's head that I'm NOT ignoring him?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mariesmama
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:40 PM

and picture this disorder in a 4 yr old,in a school setting,getting no help whatsoever for it and people wonder why she bites

TiffanyRose06
by Queso<3 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Your husband is really dumb :/

If anyone should be understanding its him
Supersam1702
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:42 PM
I feel like I have this. I have to see someone's mouth to hear them. Unless I already know the topic of conversation and then I can guess. You just have to kindly tell him that you NEED to see his lips when he's talking
Caera
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:45 PM

Didn't he know about it when he married you, or is this something that just developed? 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Ugh me!!!! Dh gets so aggravated with me, it's not like I can help it!! To top it all off, I actually am partially deaf in my left ear, so I REALLY struggle, lol. (Not saying you don't, op....just to clarify, since this is cafemom lol)
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
I swear I have that although I have never been tested. Sometimes it takes a good 5 to 10 mins for me to understand what someone said to me. Sounds like gibberish until my brain processes it. no advice on convincing your dh. mine is like that with my sleep disorder. he could go to the dr with me and have the dr explain very clearly what's going on and still get mad at me because I "want" to sleep all the time. ugh!
almondpigeon
by Ruby Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM
Me....I'm the exact same way. For whatever reason, my dh and oldest ds both act pissy when I can't understand them. I repeat things back to them when I'm not sure if I heard them correctly and they will huff at me. Talking on the phone is difficult too. There are some people (especially those with any kind of accent) who I honest to god just cannot understand. It sucks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:47 PM

He knew about it. Idk, I think it might just be stress. We used to be really understanding of each other, give each other the benefit of the doubt, and so forth, but lately I guess we both have short fuses. He seems more exasperated by it now than before.

Quoting Caera:

Didn't he know about it when he married you, or is this something that just developed? 

ElitestJen
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:49 PM

I have that problem, except mine is an actual hearing loss.  I cope with it much the same way, though by reading lips and putting the pieces together.  In a crowded or loud area....or just a lot of ambient noise, forget about it.  I'll just sit there and stare at the walls because I can't hear or understand a damn thing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:50 PM
I'm not going crazy after all! Thanks for posting. I never thought of trying to read lips. I think it has something to do with all the pills and weed in high school.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN