Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Things I've wanted to say to parents in public but didn't have the guts to

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 114 Replies
25 moms liked this
In this "mind your own business" society it seems that we're supposed to exist in our own little bubble. If we notice something someone else is doing, it seems we're supposed to pretend we didn't see it. So many people seem to think it is rude to let anyone know that you've observed something outside of your own personal bubble.

Since I couldn't muster the courage to actually say something to them face to face because I wasn't sure of the sort of reaction I would get, I'll say it here.

To the lady in the green shirt who nursed her baby in the middle of the very busy restaurant, thank you. There is so much negativity associated with NIP that it can be intimidating. Your courage to do that helps to normalize it and make it easier for the women who don't have that courage.

To the man who made his young son say "May I have some pasta, please" instead of giving in when he said "I want pasta", thank you for teaching and enforcing the use of manners. So many people these days don't bother teaching their kids basic manners. Thank you for expecting your children to be respectful human beings.

To the lady that was there alone with the 2-3year old little boy and the infant, I wish I had offered you some assistance. You seemed to have your hands full, but would you have trusted me if I had spoken up? I don't know, but I wish I had more courage.
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
.Milfshake.
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:46 PM
5 moms liked this

There are situations that I definitely think people need to mind their own business, BUT there are situations that someone should definitely step in. I admit, I do judge. everyone judges, if you (general) say that you never judge you are a damn liar. anyways there are circumstances like I said, I judge hard, say for instance a child or baby is running around in public with no shoes or socks on their feet...that is absolutely disgusting and that parents needs to be bitch slapped....anyway, I agree with you.

ncbirdie
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this
I will admit that I judge. I try not to, but it is human nature. This post wasn't about being judgy. I went out to eat with my family and saw things that I really wish I had said something about. Things that would probably make them happy if they heard it. It is just with the whole "mind your own business" mentality, one really can't be sure of the reception you'll get if you admit you've noticed what they are doing.

Quoting .Milfshake.:

There are situations that I definitely think people need to mind their own business, BUT there are situations that someone should definitely step in. I admit, I do judge. everyone judges, if you (general) say that you never judge you are a damn liar. anyways there are circumstances like I said, I judge hard, say for instance a child or baby is running around in public with no shoes or socks on their feet...that is absolutely disgusting and that parents needs to be bitch slapped....anyway, I agree with you.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:53 PM
1 mom liked this

The situations where something needs to be said or action taken, in my opinion, are abuse, a child running out of a store and into a parking lot, that kind of thing.  Otherwise, I don't care if it's NIP, someone teaching their child manners at a table or in a store, or even that crying baby/tantrum throwing toddler in the grocery store, mind your own business.  The first two aren't looking for praise and I'm not interested in interrupting anyone else's parenting.  I figure the parent with the crying infant or tantrum throwing toddler has enough to deal with and I'm not going to add to it.

.Milfshake.
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I know, I totally got off topic, but I needed to get it off my chest. that ish irks me than anything else really :)

Quoting ncbirdie:

I will admit that I judge. I try not to, but it is human nature. This post wasn't about being judgy. I went out to eat with my family and saw things that I really wish I had said something about. Things that would probably make them happy if they heard it. It is just with the whole "mind your own business" mentality, one really can't be sure of the reception you'll get if you admit you've noticed what they are doing.

Quoting .Milfshake.:

Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:03 PM
2 moms liked this

you sound nice.

ncbirdie
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not.

Quoting Ms_mom_81:

you sound nice.

Ms_mom_81
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this

it's not!

Quoting ncbirdie:

Can't tell if that is sarcasm or not.

Quoting Ms_mom_81:

you sound nice.

amberbamber0213
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
As a mom of an infant and Toddler at the same time and also 5 months pregnant glad u acknowledge that. Its not easy! Lol but now they are 2 and three and it's fun now

Quoting ncbirdie:

In this "mind your own business" society it seems that we're supposed to exist in our own little bubble. If we notice something someone else is doing, it seems we're supposed to pretend we didn't see it. So many people seem to think it is rude to let anyone know that you've observed something outside of your own personal bubble.

Since I couldn't muster the courage to actually say something to them face to face because I wasn't sure of the sort of reaction I would get, I'll say it here.

To the lady in the green shirt who nursed her baby in the middle of the very busy restaurant, thank you. There is so much negativity associated with NIP that it can be intimidating. Your courage to do that helps to normalize it and make it easier for the women who don't have that courage.

To the man who made his young son say "May I have some pasta, please" instead of giving in when he said "I want pasta", thank you for teaching and enforcing the use of manners. So many people these days don't bother teaching their kids basic manners. Thank you for expecting your children to be respectful human beings.

To the lady that was there alone with the 2-3year old little boy and the infant, I wish I had offered you some assistance. You seemed to have your hands full, but would you have trusted me if I had spoken up? I don't know, but I wish I had more courage.

poietes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:07 PM
5 moms liked this
I had a few people come up to me when I was nursing in public and say "good for you". When my 4 year old tried to steal candy from a grocery store we marched back in made him give it back and stood there until he appoligized and the lady said "thank you, good job mom" I tell you what situations like that when you are already uncomfirtable and/or embarrassed if feels nice to have some one validate that you are doing something right.
Oh and when we were on the plane and dh was holding my sleeping 4 year old the lady next to me offered to take my one year old so I could use the bathroom...she was a god send.
rwcw89
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:15 PM
2 moms liked this

to the woman ignoring her baby in the shopping cart (baby wearing a shirt and diaper) , your child needs to be changed, like a hour ago, that full diaper is uncomfy stop telling your 3 other kids to shut up and pay attention to what they are trying to tell you, and actually look at your kid. 

to the parents who let their children throw stuff in stores, its not cute, or funny , that sheepish smile does nothing about the fact your child keeps throwing his / her sippy cup in my direction, stop giving it back to them and teach them manners 

to the parents who walk into stores and then let their kids roam the aisles , this is how child abductions happen

i know keeping track of kids is a hard thing to do, i work in childcare, i have to keep track of 7-9 kids between 1 and 2 years old , i need to know what they ate, drank, when they pooped peed and how they behaved, and where they are located. do i mess up sometimes OF COURSE but its not impossible to at least seem like your trying . I salute the parents who are more firm and discipline their kids no matter what age =) 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)