Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The Customer is NOT Always Right. I am LIVID At My Boss Right Now...***UPDATE***UPDATE 2***

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 235 Replies
15 moms liked this

I work at a truck stop deli and I have worked here for seven years and I am one of the managers. About six months ago, my boss hired a sixteen year old girl and fired her a month later because she showed up for work high as a kite. We have a strict no drugs policy so she was canned. My boss hired another sixteen year old girl and she is just as sweet as she could be. She works hard, she is always on time, she is great with the customers, she never calls in, and she is sober. I work five days a week from noon to eight and she works from four to eight five days a week so she and I work together.

So, yesterday, the girl that was fired came in with her mother near closing time. I was working in the back but I could hear everything. The woman asked for a pound of honey ham. The employee, we shall call her Jenny, had already taken down the slicer and was in the process of cleaning it but, as she is supposed to, she said that it would just be a minute and she could finish and put the slicer back together (she had to take it apart again and clean it again, which is a royal pain but hey, its our job so we do it anyway). She sliced the ham for her and put the label on it. The woman came back a few minutes later and said that she put the wrong label on it. She realized her mistake (she put in the code 4123 instead of 4132. Honest mistake). She put on the new label and handed back the meat. The woman came back a few minutes later and said that the price was wrong. She looked at it and said it was right. The woman said that the honey ham was on sale for $3.99/lb. It was in the paper and she wanted what it said in the paper. Jenny told her that the sale listed in the paper was for a three day sale which started the next day (which was today, since this all happened yesterday). The woman got huffy and said that she WANTED the price in the paper and Jenny told her that the sale was tomorrow so she huffed and said "Fine, I'll come back tomorrow then." She left the meat we sliced so we put it in the cooler and someone else came up a few minutes later and wanted the same thing so we gave it to them. Now, if she hadn't been so rude, I would have told Jenny to go ahead and give her the sale price. During the entire incident, the sixteen year old who was fired, we shall call her Debbie, was smiling this evil little smile.

Today, I show up for my shift and my boss told me that Jenny was fired. I asked why and I was told that a customer called to complain this morning. The customer (three guesses who) said that she came in for the ham that was on sale (the smoked ham was on sale all week. The honey ham was just for the three day sale. She lied and said it was the smoked ham she wanted). She said that Jenny was huffy when asked to slice the ham and tried to tell her that the slicer was broken. After she was pushed, she was finally told that it was being cleaned and that we didn't like to slice after it was clean because then we had to clean it again. The customer asked said that she would just get it tomorrow and Jenny snapped and said that she would do it just a minute but she would have to wait until she felt like cleaning the slicer. The customer said thank you for her trouble and left to finish her shopping and came back to get her meat. When she came back she discovered that, on the tag ("Which I am so glad that I checked") not only was she not given the sale price, but she was charged $1 more than the regular price. She pointed out the mistake to Jenny ("because I just assumed that it was an honest mistake"). Jenny than was rude and said that she charged her more because they had to clean the slicer again and she should have to pay more for the extra trouble. She told her that she wasn't going to pay that and Jenny said she had no choice. The customer left the meat on the counter and walked away and, as she was leaving, Jenny shouted "Cheap bitch!" I told my boss that that was complete bullshit but my boss said that I was mistaken because the customer said that Jenny was there alone. I told my boss that the aformentioned rude customer didn't realize that I was in the back listening to the entire conversation. My boss said that the customer is always right and she had to go by what the customer was saying, not the other employees because, as she sees it, we might lie to defend each other.

I was pissed off at my boss and I insisted that my account of what happened was the truth but I was ignored. Jenny didn't deserve to get fired. She was a good worker and this was just wrong and I am furious. Debbie and her mother came by a little later, to get the meat for the sale price and I confronted her. I asked her why she lied about what happened. She swore that she didn't lie and that was what happened and I said that I knew that wasn't true because I was standing in the back and I heard the entire thing. She said that I was just lying to defend Jenny. I told her that Jenny was fired because she lied and Debbie gave me her little evil smile again and her mother said "Good. Maybe if we get enough teenagers fired, your boss will have to give Debbie her job back." I was floored. Your teenage daughter shows up to work high as a kite and, instead of being a parent and punishing the behavior like you should, you lie and get an innocent girl fired because, in your twisted mind, it will get your child her job back? What a bitch! My boss didn't get the law or CPS involved with the minor using drugs, like she could have. It could have been worse for her and her little snowflake. Instead, she just fired her.

My boss heard the conversation from the back and I asked her if Jenny was going to get her job back and she said no. She told all of the other employees why she was fired (trashed the girl to her coworkers before she even heard her side or a witnesses testimony) and it might weaken her authority if she rehired her. So what? Tell the other employees the truth. Or, better yet, tell them that it is none of their damn businesses. She said they won't respect her if she gives Jenny her job back and I flat out told her that I don't respect her because I know the truth and she knows the truth and she is still going to take a job from a girl that needs to work. She isn't useless, like the other teenagers that work here, and she isn't working this job because mommy and daddy won't give her money to go to the movies and buy video games. Her mother has cancer and is out of work so the SIXTEEN YEAR OLD CHILD is working to pay the bills and buy the groceries that her mother's disability and their food stamps will not cover. She works hard and is certainly more responsible than I was at her age. This child has the weight of the world on her shoulders and she shouldn't lose her job for something that wasn't her fault!

I'm going over my bosses head because this is just wrong. I really wish that I didn't need this job and I could quit in protest. I can't work for someone who treats their employees like this but I also can't afford to go even a week without a paycheck because I am a single mom.

***UPDATE***

I talked to the store manager (my boss is the deli manager) and told him what happened and what my boss said. He told me that he would speak to my boss and to Jenny and find out what was going on. I'm hoping to find something out when I get to work tomorrow. I called Jenny this afternoon, when she got home from school, and she said that she was still upset but she would be ok. I told her that I talked to the manager and I told him what happened. She told me thank you for standing up for her but she doesn't want me to get in trouble for this. I told her that I won't get in trouble.

Also, for the people who call troll because the sixteen year old was using the slicer: Yes it is illegal, technically, but my boss told me to go ahead and let her if someone wanted meat while we were closing up. I do inventory in the back and, if I stop to slice meat, I will never get it done. I only do inventory once a week, at closing. There isn't a lot of demand for sliced meat at closing time. That is usually a lunch rush thing. She has only had to do it a couple of times.

***UPDATE 2***

The boss talked to Jenny and my boss. He told my boss what I said and she pretty much gave him the same BS about her employees not respecting her if she gave in and gave the girl her job back. The boss said the same thing I did, that they don't respect her because she won't admit she is wrong. He told her that there was no reason to fire Jenny and he wanted her to hire Jenny back and apologize.

Long story short, Jenny got her job back. She and I are both looking for employment elsewhere. Neither of us want to stay here but we are here out of necessity.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
neveragain17
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:23 AM
9 moms liked this
I didn't read it all .. But your boss sucks!
bonitalilmama
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:25 AM
7 moms liked this

Oh wow that's sad, I hate the fact that companies stick to the customers are always right all the time. All it means to me is that a business will kiss a customer's ass to keep them as a customer. My thing is i would rather loose a shit starting  customer and could care less, then to fire someone who you know  didn't do anything wrong. I believe in karma and your boss will suffer

bonitalilmama
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM

I schemed over it as well lol

Quoting neveragain17:

I didn't read it all .. But your boss sucks!

petitekatie
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:26 AM
2 moms liked this
Wow. I'd be pissed as well. I'm glad you are going to the higher UPS.
got2monsters
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:28 AM
I hope everything works out best for you and "Jenny". Sorry. :( your boss is being a dipshit.
fanci64
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM
3 moms liked this

Is there someone above  her? This is aweful thats  for sure... I'm sorry. You are like me. I can't let shit like that go. You are so right about the not respecting her anymore I wouldn't either.

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM
12 moms liked this

WOW.....Your boss is an IDIOT and an Asshole.....smdh

I would go over her head also......smdh

I would also tell all the other employees what exactly happened and how the manager handled it. They still won't respect her....smdh

Elle.tea.22
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:32 AM
4 moms liked this
Wow seriously? Everyone there should quit at the Same time to see what the fuck the boss will do on short notice.
-MidnightKarma-
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this
I would totally go over the bosses head. That is complete bullshit.
Supervane
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 3:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Oh gosh that poor girl. It's sad that your boss didn't even want your account of the.situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)