Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

He's reading at a kinder level but his math is on a 2nd grade level

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 64 Replies
Monkey is 4 and I picked up some workbooks for him that say k-1. One is for math and the other is reading. He flies through the math quickly, I usually don't even get through the directions before he's filling in the answer.

Reading on the other hand is a bit slower, he's having a hard time grasping the concept of sounds even though we've worked on them for the last 2 years.

So my question is should I look for a 1-2 grade math book for him? What I wonder about is how kindergarten will go next year if he's doing math at a 2nd grade level.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:19 AM

don't you think he's going to get enough academics in the 13yrs he's going to be in school?  What are you trying to do? Turn him off of learning?  And pushing him into reading is going to frustrate both of you if he isn't ready

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:20 AM
You're thinking too much. Don't push him. He's fine. He'll be fine in K.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:21 AM

My dd is exactly like that and is in kinder this year. Math is just her thing and is easy for her. So, during class math time, the teacher lets her help (write numbers, pass out papers, etc.). When she finishes her work and everyone is still working, she's allowed to color in her coloring book. Her teacher said once the other kids get settled in a routine, she might hunt down harder (1st or 2nd grade) worksheets for dd.

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
He WANTS to do the workbooks, I don't force him and we go at his pace. I was busy doing a ton of things yesterday and he asked me if we could do his workbooks and after going through 10 pages of math I told him to go play for a bit and he got upset because he was enjoying his homework as he calls it.

Thank you for not answering my question

Quoting Anonymous:

don't you think he's going to get enough academics in the 13yrs he's going to be in school?  What are you trying to do? Turn him off of learning?  And pushing him into reading is going to frustrate both of you if he isn't ready

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:23 AM
4 moms liked this

Not to  burst your bubble, but those books are not an accurate reflection of how your child will do in school or what "level" they are working at. 

Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Hmm hadn't even thought about that, hopefully he gets a teacher like that.

Quoting Anonymous:

My dd is exactly like that and is in kinder this year. Math is just her thing and is easy for her. So, during class math time, the teacher lets her help (write numbers, pass out papers, etc.). When she finishes her work and everyone is still working, she's allowed to color in her coloring book. Her teacher said once the other kids get settled in a routine, she might hunt down harder (1st or 2nd grade) worksheets for dd.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Roxygurl
by Emerald Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:24 AM
I've been using his sisters worksheets from actual kinder and first grade as well and he flies through those.

Quoting Anonymous:

Not to  burst your bubble, but those books are not an accurate reflection of how your child will do in school or what "level" they are working at. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
2 moms liked this
He's 4 and your worried because he can't pick up reading after working on sounds for 2 years?? He was 2 years old 2 years ago!!!! I hate when parents try to push their kids to be advanced. He's not doing math at a second grade level.....I promise you that. Just let him be a kid before school consumes his life. I have a 4 year old also and she loves working on "school" type stuff but I am more proud of her when she uses her imagination to make up a game.
LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:27 AM
Then why not focus on his reading/phonics?

Quoting Roxygurl:

I've been using his sisters worksheets from actual kinder and first grade as well and he flies through those.

Quoting Anonymous:

LyTe684
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:29 AM
Also there are so many other things you can focus on. Like colors, shapes, spelling and writing his name and alphabets. Drawing, coloring.....

Quoting LyTe684:

Then why not focus on his reading/phonics?

Quoting Roxygurl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured