Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What's the most awful thing you've accidentally done to your kid?

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
  • 198 Replies

'The Worst Thing I Ever Accidentally Did To My Kid': Parents Confess Their Biggest Fails

by Linda Sharps

Have you ever managed to hurt or scare your own child? (By accident, of course.) I think it's safe to say most of us have been there at one time or another. I have some pretty cringeworthy memories of several major parenting fails from when my boys were little, including banging my newborn baby into a doorway, giving a toddler a sippy cup filled with mold, playfully leaping out and shouting "BOO!" at a child before he instantly dissolved in fearful tears, and smooching a small child on the cheek only to watch in shock as a giant kiss-shaped WELT appeared courtesy of the capsicum-filled lip plumper I'd been wearing at the time.

For anyone who's had to deal with the soul-crushing sensation of not only failing to protect your child, but actually being the person who caused the damage, take heart -- lots of parents have horror stories that are just as bad (and in some cases, much worse) than yours. Take a look at this it's-only-funny-in-retrospect list of OMG I Broke My Kid moments:

I closed her fingers in the sliding glass door and tried to lock it, thinking she was crying because I wouldn't let her outside. Also, the day after she had kidney/bladder surgery, we misread her pain medicine dosage and gave her 0.1mL instead of 1.0mL ALL DAY. -- TemerityJane

Kid asks for apple juice & I accidentally pour him apple cider VINEGAR. He says it tastes weird & I'm ANNOYED at him. #dadfail -- Aaron

I couldn't figure out why the heavy lid of our upholstered storage ottoman wouldn't close - my 18-month-old's head was in the way. -- Hannah

Touched his face with oven-mitts I had just used to take meat out of the oven. To the same kid: I once caused blistering burns when I sat him on a plastic water-filled toy that had been cooking in a hot car in July. -- Zoot

I accidentally used his washcloth to wipe icy hot off my fingers right before he went to wash his face. Of COURSE it got in his eyes. -- gwennyrah

2 of my children have been driven home from somewhere as infants, completely unbuckled on their carseats. Gaaaaah. -- Jennifer

I ran him over with my car. I WIN. (He's fine. Was fine then, too.) -- Emily

Left my 6mo sitting on the kitchen counter. As in, I was holding her there and then just left her and WALKED AWAY. -- MomCheri

I gave my congested 4-month-old Little Noses drops... then realized it was Swim-Ear. Dang bottles are identical. We both cried a lot. -- Lori

I thought my daughter was overreacting to some minor injury while SCREAMING because no visible injury... turned out a bee had gotten inside her shirt and was stinging her over and over. -- PinkHerring

Husband dropped our one week old's head in a bowl of cereal. He flew backwards. Thank god he didn't choose oatmeal that morning. -- Jo

I gave my kid rancid milk one time. He drank half like a champ and then stopped. I tasted to show him it was ok. It was NOT OK. :( -- Josh

Didn't realize my daughter needed new shoes until a daycare worker told me she'd outgrown them. Also, told my son to "play through the pain" after a sports injury and found out later he needed ACL surgery. -- Heidi

I  left out my flat iron (turned on) so my 2yo son could put it up to his MOUTH and burn his lips. -- Courtney

I was making caramel sauce and not thinking let my two year old stick his finger in to taste it. Second degree burn ftw -- JB

I just had surgery, K was running to give me a hug, I said "Stop!" and blocked with my crutches, and she headbutted the crutch. -- Wendryn

How bout accidentally cutting off the tip of my 5 yr olds ring finger in a door jam , she's now 23. -- Diane

My 5 yo & I were battling (in a fun, playful manner) &just as he moved his head I moved my knee and chipped two of his bottom teeth! -- Honeybecke

I punched my kid in the face zipping up a jacket. My hand just flew off the thingy like a log ride! -- DR Hoctor

I dropped a cell phone on my baby's head. She's ok, it seems. -- Anne

I was in a pitch black nursery putting my son back to sleep. I greatly misjudged proximity and BASHED his head on the side of the crib rail. I can still hear the sound of his head hitting the wood and feel sick. -- Samantha

I can't think of anything I've done to my own child, which mean it will definitely happen tonight. -- Beth

Okay, your turn -- what's the most awful thing you've accidentally done to your kid?

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 8:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I accidentally pinched my son's fingers in the mailbox yesterday. I was grabbing for the mail and didn't see him stick his hand in there and I felt awful. 

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Pinched ones leg with the buckle putting her in the carseat. They've both had their fair share of getting their heads bonked on walls...

SyllabaryBisque
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:03 AM

I rolled up the car window without realizing that my son was holding onto the glass. Squished his little fingers. We both cried our eyes out. :(

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:04 AM

I rolled up the window of the car and smashed his finger. I think I cried more than my son did.

ZazaGoszzy
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I accidentally punched him in the eye when I lost grip of his car seat buckle. That's when I realized it was too tight. :-/

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I back handed my daughter across the face a few years ago.  I did not realize she was standing as close as she was to me and I swung around and nailed her. I felt so bad!

Zanny
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Slammed my daughters hand in the car door....

black_sun99
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I broke my son's leg by falling on top of him.  I slipped and fell in the driveway.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:27 AM
2 moms liked this
I was tossing odd up in the air in our old apartment. We had really high ceilings in most of the place. I side stepped and went to toss her, and she went head first into the ceiling at a low spot. I felt so bad. Dh couldnt stop laughing and dd who was 2 at the time thought it was the funniest thing. She then proceded to smash her head into ever wall she could.

Ydd i have pinched her legs in the carseat countless times (she was a squirmer). She has had a drink from a moldy cup. That was the worst.
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Sep. 19, 2013 at 9:28 AM
When lizzie was a baby i was pulling her out of her carseat really fast (it was pouring, i planned to grab and run) and i whacked her face on the door frame of the car, busted her lip pretty good
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)