Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

The dentist got him stoned?!? WWYD?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 142 Replies
1 mom liked this
I took my 12 year old son to the dentist today for his first filling in about six years. I waited in the waiting room with my two year old while the worked on my older son. About half an hour later I noticed my son was standing at the receptionist's area and he looked really flushed like he had been crying. They called me over and my son looked at me and smiled. He asked for the car key and I gave it to him because he always waits in the car while I finish the checkout process. He left. The dentist told me that my son needed quite a large filling because it seemed as if his enamel was defective on that one tooth, but the other molars looked good. He then left me to deal with the receptionist who informed me that my son seemed a little anxious about the filling so they had given him laughing gas and it's not covered by my insurance. That my balance was $38. I was dumbfounded. Don't they need my permission to give him that gas and shouldn't they have asked before giving him something they knew was not covered by insurance? I just paid my previous balance from his sealants he had done two weeks ago and told them I'd get back to them in two weeks on the $38.

I got to my car and my son was sitting there giggling and his head was rolling from side to side. He said he really liked that stuff could he have it next time? He was saying that he couldn't feel his arms while they were filling his tooth and he kept shaking them to make sure they were still there. What if he had had a really horrible reaction to the gas? I didn't even know they were giving it to him.

I'm furious! I'm really thinking of calling them tomorrow and telling them I'm not paying for an uncovered medication they gave my child without my permission. What would you do?
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes, they should have definately got your consent for the gas AND the fee.

copperked
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:54 PM
They absolutely should have asked.
FoxFire363
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:56 PM
I'm no help here. I specifically asked them to give dd the nitrous when she had a larger procedure done, because she was nervous. I've never heard of anyone having a bad reaction to it. I have it every time I get anything more than a cleaning done, and they turn it off anytime the hygienist or dentist leaves the room, so the patient is monitored the whole time it's being administered. In short, I think you're overreacting to them using a common medication.
braybrat30
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:57 PM
2 moms liked this
I wouldn't pay it. I'd probably see about a lawsuit on them. They don't have the right to give any form of medication without your knowledge & approval.
omm76002
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:58 PM
They should have asked you. But I'm the same way! If I'm not loopy and dfaf they can't get near my mouth!
corib4687
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:59 PM
6 moms liked this
My assumption would be that you signed some type of waiver/disclaimer when you filled out your new patient paperwork.

I am not a dentist nor do I work in a dentist office...but I would assume that's how it works
anon1986East
by Kali on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:00 PM

I'd be livid. I'd call them and tell them you won't be paying any bill or making anymore appointments until you speak to a lawyer.

Liastele
by Lauren on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:01 PM
11 moms liked this

You filled out a form when you went to the dentist the first time and it asked you to list known allergies to medication. If he was allergic to laughing gas you would have put it down, then you SIGNED the form (years ago) which gives them consent.

If you don't want to pay, that is fine. The dentist can sell your debt to a collection agency and you can find a new dentist. Or you could like, pay what you owe and be happy they helped your son relax. He is 12, not 4. He is fine.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
3 moms liked this

No your son was not laughing his ass off etc,  the effects of laughing gas only last seconds. I get it every time i go to the dentist and drive home straight after.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:02 PM
2 moms liked this
Really now?? What would be the basis of your lawsuit? What are you sueing for?

Quoting braybrat30:

I wouldn't pay it. I'd probably see about a lawsuit on them. They don't have the right to give any form of medication without your knowledge & approval.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN