Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They passed the bill - FoodStamp cuts

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 552 Replies
6 moms liked this

I think it sounds like a great change. I do receive FS.

To sum it up if you do not have children and are able but unwilling to work you will not get benefits. If you have raped or murdered you will not get them. You are here illegally or you win the lotto you will not get them. There will be more investegation against fraud.

◾Allowing states to pursue retailer fraud through a pilot investigation program and deters retailers most likely to engage in benefit trafficking by requiring them to stock three of the four major food groups to qualify as vendors.
◾Prohibiting USDA from advertising SNAP on television, radio, billboards and through agreements with foreign governments.
◾Ensuring illegal immigrants, lottery winners, traditional college students, and the deceased do not receive SNAP benefits.
Allowing states to conduct pilot projects that adopt TANF work requirements for able-bodied adults to remain eligible for SNAP benefits, with the exception of those with a disability or with sole responsibility of a child under the age of one, or under age six if no child care is available.
◾Allowing states to conduct drug testing on SNAP applicants as a condition for receiving benefits.
◾Ending eligibility for SNAP for convicted violent rapists, pedophiles and murderers.
◾Removing the ability for states to get waivers for the work requirement for able-bodied adults without dependents.
◾Allowing states that adopt TANF work requirements in SNAP to receive the 50 percent match for employment and training activities.

After fiery debateson the floor through the afternoon, the House of Representatives passed a bill defunding part of the nation’s food stamps program. The measure passed by a narrow vote of 217 to 210, with 15 Republicans voting against it and zero Democrats voting for it. One lawmaker who voted in its favor argued with MSNBC’s Martin Bashir over which people would get hit from the potential cuts and how those people would be targeted.

If you’re committing fraud, you’re not going to receive the benefit,” said Rep. Andy Harris, a Republican from Maryland. “If you need it, you will. All those women and children, and the working poor, are going to receive the benefit. They aren’t affected at all. This is not an across-the-board cut. This is surgical.”

The bill, which other Republicans have called “draconian,” would decrease funding to the nation’s Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, called “SNAP,” by about $39 billion over the next 10 years, cutting the program by 5%. The Congressional Budget Office estimates that around 3.8 million people will lose access to these benefits.

Republicans voting in favor of the bill have been pushing the claim that the nation’s food stamp program is suffering because of an excess of fraud and abuse, and that their legislation is aimed more at eliminating loopholes rather than cutting people who need the assistance.

The U.S. Department of Agriculture, which helps administer the program, reported last month that SNAP actually “continues to have one of the lowest fraud rates for Federal programs.” Over the last 15 years, they say, the trafficking rate of food stamps has actually gone down from 4% to about 1%.

“Every American believes a program that big has waste, fraud, and abuse. We need to empower states to go after it,” Harris said to Bashir.

Bashir said, “This is essentially for the working poor. These people are not feckless freeloaders.”

“You are hurting the vulnerable for the sake of beliefs that frankly have no basis in fact,” he said. “The volumes of people that will be hurt are just enormous.”

Harris defended himself and his colleagues, “This discourages fraud, allowing more money to flow to the people who we all want to help. There’s no one in the Republican side who doesn’t believe that the food stamp program is important to get to those people who deserve it and need it. This bill doesn’t touch them.”

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 6:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:05 PM

bump

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds good to me

mom2_2542
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:08 PM
5 moms liked this
It doesn't affect me. However I hope it works.out and doesn't harm children or the elderly or disabled. I know what it says...I just hope they're.thorough enough.
cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont really care so much about who recieves FS. As long as the child is being fed and you are not abusing the system and or sitting on your butt doing nothing then i have no objection. After reading this a lot of illegal work here obv illegally but they have kids as well so im afraid of whats to come when feeding their children

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM
12 moms liked this

People who are here illegally will continue to get them on behalf of the children that they come here 9 months pregnant to have and for the children who are born after that one. They will never have to pay taxes and they will collect every kind of PA they can for their children. I see this every single day as I am a PA caseworker.

Kyndall30
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds reasonable to me.
lovinmyboys...
by Gold Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:10 PM
2 moms liked this
Good.
AVSpecWife4
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Sigh
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:11 PM
6 moms liked this

ABOUT TIME!

Hopefully it helps, but I also believe that the amount needs to change.

Where I live I find it ridiculous for a family of 4 to be getting $600+ in foodstams.  It isn't needed and is a waste of money!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:12 PM
Looks fine to me.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN