Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Unreasonable request or perfectly normal?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 80 Replies

My SIL, whom I love, is getting married next Summer.  We live really far away and never expected to be asked to be in the wedding because of the distance and DH has a huge family.  However, when we were there for a visit this summer she asked my husband to be an usher and my 2 year old to be her flower girl.  All of this is fine. No problem.  Then, she asks me to be her "personal assistant" for the day.  She said it just like that, "I was thinking that you can be my personal assistant".

At first, I said okay because I just didn't know what else to say.  But isn't that a little weird? Would you be offended by this?  Isn't this what bridesmaids do?  Her mom (my MIL) told me I would just be available to take care of all her needs and be the go-between for caterers and the photographers...so nobody bothers her on her special day. This made my husband kind of chuckle but he thinks I should just go with it.

All I can think is that It will cost us around 2,000 to fly out there not to mention the other expenses that go with it.  We have a tight budget and this will make things...tighter.  Not to mention the fact that none of dh's siblings came to our wedding. To be fair, it was very small compared to what SIL's will be. I also have, what will be, a three year old to look after while I'm acting as this personal assistant.  IDK.  I imagine that I will end up doing this but I am dreading it.  It feels unfair and, sometimes, I feel like saying something.  WWYD? How would you feel?  Am I being totally out of line by being annoyed by this?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM

bump

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:46 PM
7 moms liked this
So basically,she wants you to be her bitch for the day??
poshkat
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM
Lol, no. I would tell them no. It's so rude!
TheDoctorsWife
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:47 PM
If probably feel honored that with this big family, my SIL wanted to include me. You seem fine with dh being an usher and dd being a flower girl
katydid150
by Silver Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:48 PM
2 moms liked this

I would tell her no.  You will have to run herd on the flower girl, no way you can be her assistant. 

cateringtomel
by Anna_Elijah on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:49 PM

lol

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM

LOL. Seems so. That's kinda what dh said but he just laughed it off.   He said I should do all of my "personal assisting" from the bar.

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:51 PM
It's family :( I would do it .. I don't think it rude, I'm sure she wanted you to just be part of the wedding.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM

ugh. Thank you.  I think I just need to feel validated here.

Quoting poshkat:

Lol, no. I would tell them no. It's so rude!

vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Sep. 19, 2013 at 7:52 PM

I'd do it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN