Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

You realize not every kid is the same right?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies
3 moms liked this

I see all these posts about spanking and not spanking, and I really don't see how one person decides to punish their kids should influence another person. Why make a person try to feel bad for disciplining their children in a form they see works best for their child. I don't think every child needs spanking, but I do think that some children spanking works well for them. I've seen cases in which spanking is overused, or not done in a manner benefitting the child, and I completely disagree with that. I've seen cases where children who probably could use a good spanking run amuck because their parents are too worried about their "image" and don'twant to be the spanking type. I don't think you should let someone influence the way you discipline your children. I don't think you should base your decision on how to punish multiple kids based on how one child does with certain punishments. Each child has his own way of learning. Each child has a way of discipline that works for them.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:38 AM

no one?

paulswifey11
by TashaL on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Long but true
DevinAnnesmom
by Sarah on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:43 AM
2 moms liked this
I agree. I know what works for each of my kids and discipline them accordingly. I wish more people would just start disciplining their children period, regardless of the type of punishment.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
-Kit-
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:44 AM

Hitting is not right for any kid.

Just because it "works" does not make it acceptable, useful, healthy or moral.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Exactly.    When I was little timeouts didn't work.   By the time it was over with I couldn't remember what I did to get in trouble.  I have ADHD.   Spankings got my attention and helped me to remember not to do it again.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:50 AM

Technically if it works it is helpful, and useful, and the law says it is acceptable, and it teaches a kid right from wrong, which is moral.

Quoting -Kit-:

luckysevenwow
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Some of my kids have never been spanked, some have. Each has been parented according to their personality. There really is no wrong or right way, it's what works for that child.

Now I will add that the minute an object is used to spank a child I feel it has crossed a line. There is never a reason to use anything other then your hand.

Ber-Lynn
by Count Me In on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:57 AM
I have a question for you. If your toddler kept trying to touch a wood burning stove and you redirected, told them no no its hot, put them in time out and a number of other things to try and get the child to listen, what would be your next move? Would you let them burn the shit out of their hand or would you give them a little tap on the butt to get there attention?
Before you ask the wood burning stove had the biggest baby gate found around it yet the top could still be touched by a very determined toddler. You can't watch them every single second but you also don't want them to hurt themself so what would you do.

I don't spank unless the child is trying to do something that will put them in danger. I have only had to spank once and that did the trick and the toddler lost interest.

Quoting -Kit-:

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:05 AM

There is a huge difference between hitting and spanking.DH spanks our oldest, he does not hit him,nor does he beat him.Huge difference.

Quoting -Kit-:

CafeMom Tickers

Mama to Anthony Alexander-11/11/11,Anatoly William-6/21/13,Waylon Paul-6/21/13 and expecting Baby #4 on 4/22/14!

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

ElizabethGracie
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:09 AM

Exactly this.DH only spanks our son when he's doing something that could put him in danger.In one instance,he kept pulling our older dog's ears and even though DH told him no,Ant refused to stop.He even removed Ant from the situation and Ant walked back across the room and started doing it again.DH didn't want the dog snapping at Ant and he wasn't getting the picture any other way.DH swatted him on the butt once and Ant stopped immediately.

Quoting Ber-Lynn:

I have a question for you. If your toddler kept trying to touch a wood burning stove and you redirected, told them no no its hot, put them in time out and a number of other things to try and get the child to listen, what would be your next move? Would you let them burn the shit out of their hand or would you give them a little tap on the butt to get there attention?
Before you ask the wood burning stove had the biggest baby gate found around it yet the top could still be touched by a very determined toddler. You can't watch them every single second but you also don't want them to hurt themself so what would you do.

I don't spank unless the child is trying to do something that will put them in danger. I have only had to spank once and that did the trick and the toddler lost interest.

Quoting -Kit-:

CafeMom Tickers

Mama to Anthony Alexander-11/11/11,Anatoly William-6/21/13,Waylon Paul-6/21/13 and expecting Baby #4 on 4/22/14!

"Live as if you have faith and faith will be given to you."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)