Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is there any legal way I can get to see my grandchildren more often?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 140 Replies

I have two sons one is 29, married, and has a 2 year old whom I see at least once a week. My other son has three children (age 5, 2, 2) with three different women and I don't really get to see them at all. He is 27 and is currently serving two years in prison for a drug possession charge. He doesn't have any contact with any of the children so I don't neither. Does anyone know if I can do something to see my grandchildren more often?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:16 AM
5 moms liked this

Leave them alone.  It's their mother's choice.

Steph1499
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:17 AM
6 moms liked this

I would suggest reaching out to the mother and asking.  If they do not want your son involved in the lives of their children then respect that.  

Alchemist_Momma
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:19 AM
8 moms liked this
I agree with this. Its the mothers choice, and I can see where they would say no, for fear of when he gets out he may be living with you, and they don't want the kids around him.

Quoting Steph1499:

I would suggest reaching out to the mother and asking.  If they do not want your son involved in the lives of their children then respect that.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:27 AM

BUMP!

PoisonEyeV
by _ on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:30 AM
1 mom liked this

What state are you in?  Search for grandparent rights in your state.  Do you and all 3 of the mothers (oh boy) get along? Maybe before doing anything legally you could talk to them.  Idk, I hate the grandparents of my daughters and I'd hate if they tried to force something.  Do what's best and what's right please.

crowbait
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:38 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, you can take the parents to court just as you would a child custody case.

http://www.grandparents.com/family-and-relationships/grandparents-rights/grandparent-rights-united-states

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:44 AM

From what I understand  MOST states  do not  have Grandparents  rights law.   All I can suggest  is to reach out to the mothers and   let them  know  you  would like to be a part of their life.    If they say  no  then  start a  journal  and some letter writings  for them  and save them  for the future   when they  are older they may want to contact you. Maybe  you could send them  birthday  cards and small gifts.   If  you have a FB page  you  can  create  a photo album  for  each one  and  take pics of the presents  you  send them.  When they get older  they  may  recognize the  gifts  if they  get them  and in the notes section  you  can  write about  your  daily  thoughts of them .

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:45 AM
This. As much as I love my son's grandmother, with his bio dad living at her place now, after he got outta prison, their relationship is suffering and I hate it but I don't want ds around his abusive ways. Once he leaves, I'll bring ds around again. But until then, it'll be limited.

Try to contact the mothers. That's all you really could do

Quoting Alchemist_Momma:

I agree with this. Its the mothers choice, and I can see where they would say no, for fear of when he gets out he may be living with you, and they don't want the kids around him.

Quoting Steph1499:

TheSilence
by Tá mé an mó on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:18 AM
3 moms liked this
Well you should completely blame this on your son. Sounds like he burned those bridges for the whole family.
You could reach out to the women but I wouldn't be surprised if they said no thanks.
BeautifulFey
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:19 AM

In Australia you can apply for grandparents rights. Not sure about America, sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)