Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

staying home from school for this?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies
Eta: She went to school today after getting herself up and dressed. She has less than 2 hours left so I guess she is making it through. :)

If your child was up half the night because of a nightmare, do you let them stay home from school?

Dd is 6, she has very... vivid... nightmares. She was up for a good 4-5 hours last night because of it. Thats almost half what she sleeps.

Idk if I want to keep her home or not. Shes going to be exhausted in class.. but I cant do this everytime.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AustinsMommy007
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM
I wouldn't be able to if I wanted to because the kids go to their dads when I go to work but if you can stay home with her I would probably let her sleep in a little extra and take her to school late.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Nope. I make them go and know that they'll fall asleep easier the next night and sleep deeper and have no nightmares.

amanda_n_e
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:19 AM
1 mom liked this
I would keep her home. She isn't going to be able to function properly with so little sleep.
As long as it isn't something that happens all of the time I don't see a problem with letting her rest today.
justpeachy71904
by peachy on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:22 AM
At that age, I would keep her home.

How will she function? She will be falling asleep! It isn't like she was awake playing! And you are aware of the night terrors :-( poor darling
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:23 AM
The nightmares are regular. 2-3 a week. Not usually this bad though :(

Quoting amanda_n_e:

I would keep her home. She isn't going to be able to function properly with so little sleep.

As long as it isn't something that happens all of the time I don't see a problem with letting her rest today.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:26 AM
She gets the nightmares 2-3x a week regardless.

Quoting Anonymous:

Nope. I make them go and know that they'll fall asleep easier the next night and sleep deeper and have no nightmares.

Lauriemom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:30 AM

At six, I would keep her home for sure. No need to force her to go in she won't function anyway. My dd has awful insomnia, and I've had to keep her home due to being up all night.  I make no apologies for it either.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:46 AM
I would take her half a day. but in my kids school they can only miss 3 days without a doctor note.
Islandmom2boys
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:48 AM
I would keep her home.

My 5 year old has horrible nightmares too and they ruin him for a day.
bcoll
by Brandi on Sep. 20, 2013 at 6:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I'd be concerned about nightmares so often. Have you talked to her doctor? That's got to be hard on her :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN