Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What level of involvement do you have in your child's school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a kindergartner this year. My parents had zero involvement in my school and I always felt excluded from things. Earlier this week there was a form that went home asking for $3 for a bag of popcorn. I thought to myself, um no. 

That day I went to pick my daughter up and I saw a little boy crying. His mom was on the phone telling the person how he was crying that he didn't get popcorn. I noticed all the kids coming out had their bags in hand and I prepared myself. We're a GMO limited and Organic family whenever possible so I figured I would tell her the popcorn was GMO and she'd be fine but I was praying that she wouldn't be crying.

She came out skipping and I was relieved, then on the walk home I was impressed my our conversation.

She told me that next time she would like me to send money to school so she can have popcorn. I explained the popcorn was gmo and she said "That's alright mom, I don't even have to eat it but I felt bad when everyone got a bag except me"

Point taken. Now there is a fundraiser sent home today if you sell 7 items you get to attend a BMX bike show. I know the guy putting on the show and they must have talked to the kids about him because she was reciting some of his moves. The fundraiser isn't set up for door to door, it's for family. My family isn't going to buy this stuff. I'll have DH bring it to work, but in the end I know I'll be buying stuff to get her to that 7 items mark.

Where will this end though? I'll be poor by the end of the year if she's included in every single thing but at the same time I remeber as a kid that the good students were always part of everything like that, and their mothers were at the school and people we knew.

How involved are you? Do you buy fundraiser stuff and popcorn and every little thing the school asks for? We're going to an ice cream social today at 4 pm. Ice cream is a dollar a bowl. lol

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (11-20):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Im not at all involved per say but I am going broke because I always send in money and always buy useless shit from the neighbor kids too.

EndlessMom
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM
I'm very involved. I volunteer, but the crap, donate, and help as much as my disability allows.
stephensmommy06
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM

i just spent over 200$ on cookie dough, soups, and frozen pizzas...so my son could ride in a hummer limo...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM

100% ~ we homeschool.  lol

EmmasMom0305
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't.
LCWAmommy
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I know how it is having a little one at home my youngest just started school this year. Ask her teacher if there is any thing you can do at home to help there are always worksheet packets to be stapled, stuff cut out and crafts to organize.

Quoting Anonymous:

Our school seems to only want money and hands on volunteering. I have a little one not in school yet so I can't really help out at the school

Quoting lapcounter:

Our school doesn't do fundraising. If they take a trip I am asked to go, if they need baking done for Halloween or Christmas I am asked to do it.

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I'm on the pta and occasionally I'll help out if needed but I'm not involved in everything. I collect boxtops and vote on the target website but I don't usually do the door to door fundraisers. If they want a dollar for popcorn or whatever I'll do that too.

adrianasmommy07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I don't peddle crap from magazines for fundraisers. I am active with the pto, on the planning committee for the largest fundraiser of the year (fall festival) , take part in all of the parties, volunteer in the classroom...etc.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM

You just gave me heartburn. I didn't even want to buy her school pictures which wee like $43.00. My Mom is a photographer, but again, didn't want her to be left out.

Quoting stephensmommy06:

i just spent over 200$ on cookie dough, soups, and frozen pizzas...so my son could ride in a hummer limo...

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Im very involved. PTA VP, boxtop coordinator and room mom for both kids.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)