Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What level of involvement do you have in your child's school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a kindergartner this year. My parents had zero involvement in my school and I always felt excluded from things. Earlier this week there was a form that went home asking for $3 for a bag of popcorn. I thought to myself, um no. 

That day I went to pick my daughter up and I saw a little boy crying. His mom was on the phone telling the person how he was crying that he didn't get popcorn. I noticed all the kids coming out had their bags in hand and I prepared myself. We're a GMO limited and Organic family whenever possible so I figured I would tell her the popcorn was GMO and she'd be fine but I was praying that she wouldn't be crying.

She came out skipping and I was relieved, then on the walk home I was impressed my our conversation.

She told me that next time she would like me to send money to school so she can have popcorn. I explained the popcorn was gmo and she said "That's alright mom, I don't even have to eat it but I felt bad when everyone got a bag except me"

Point taken. Now there is a fundraiser sent home today if you sell 7 items you get to attend a BMX bike show. I know the guy putting on the show and they must have talked to the kids about him because she was reciting some of his moves. The fundraiser isn't set up for door to door, it's for family. My family isn't going to buy this stuff. I'll have DH bring it to work, but in the end I know I'll be buying stuff to get her to that 7 items mark.

Where will this end though? I'll be poor by the end of the year if she's included in every single thing but at the same time I remeber as a kid that the good students were always part of everything like that, and their mothers were at the school and people we knew.

How involved are you? Do you buy fundraiser stuff and popcorn and every little thing the school asks for? We're going to an ice cream social today at 4 pm. Ice cream is a dollar a bowl. lol

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM

My mom stopped letting me do those candy ones as a kid because I ate the entire thing and then got another box to sell that I promptly ate. She is still pissed. I think now that Im thinking about it Im gonna get her a full box this year and give it to her for her birthday lmao.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Everytime, those fundraisers come home I want to just send them back and tell them we won't participate. But of course, my daughter is exicited about the prizes. So I end up buying a couple of things (usually just wrapping paper) and then let her show it to a few people.  I won't particisipate in all of the fundraisers throughout the year. The other one I usually do is Jump rope for heart. Last year, the school did one of those fundraisers that you brought home a box of candy bars and if the kids did not sell all of them I had to buy them. I signed the paper stating we would not be participating. I had to wonder how many actually did that one.

HumanBeing
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
Very involved! We have 3 kids in elementary. So far this year I've bought 3 school shirts, $60 in 1 fundraiser, donated school supplies, a ton of snacks and picture day is next week.

The school my younger 2 attend does fundraiser sat restaurants and Fresh and Easy markets and we always show up to those too.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM

My child has always had a small allowance so she takes the money for popcorn (or in our case ice cream) herself, also they sell mascot tattoos and ribbons on fridays before games.. again it comes out of her money.. so if she wants to get one of those things she just takes it out of her money.. i do school events whenever possible and as for fundraisers... UM NO! we occasionally buy or sell if its decent but if its crap then we dont

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM

That's funny! I could so see my daughter doing that.

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom stopped letting me do those candy ones as a kid because I ate the entire thing and then got another box to sell that I promptly ate. She is still pissed. I think now that Im thinking about it Im gonna get her a full box this year and give it to her for her birthday lmao.

Quoting KyliesMom5:

Everytime, those fundraisers come home I want to just send them back and tell them we won't participate. But of course, my daughter is exicited about the prizes. So I end up buying a couple of things (usually just wrapping paper) and then let her show it to a few people.  I won't particisipate in all of the fundraisers throughout the year. The other one I usually do is Jump rope for heart. Last year, the school did one of those fundraisers that you brought home a box of candy bars and if the kids did not sell all of them I had to buy them. I signed the paper stating we would not be participating. I had to wonder how many actually did that one.

ForeverLawst
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I would suggest you never let your kids join marching band in HS... A lot of money and volunteer work with that. I'm always broke and never bored lately.

danie24
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
My kids participate in everything.

And I volunteer when needed, too.

We are a chemical free family, too and only buy organic, non processed foods.. but instead of making my child feel left out, I call the school and offer to provide the snacks.

On popcorn day, I buy the organic kernels and air pop it at home, bag it in cute paper bags and bring over to the school.

No microwave crap for my babes. LOL
LovlyRita
by Meter Maid on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Parental involvement and fundraising is why our school is so good. Last year the PTA spent $60,000 on smart boards for every classroom. I am as involved as I can be. Tonight we will attend the Back to School picnic and movie. I will buy our fair share of giftwrap and hit up the grandparents. I can't volunteer due to work, but I can open my checkbook.
rhiannonaisling
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I'm not involved. And my son's teacher rarely, if ever sends fundraisers home.

jakesmom323
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I get hit up everywhere for $ and involvement. Down to the point of getting a 3 page, back and front list of all the teacher's wants for teacher appreciation week. I pay for a church program and childcare during...got hit up on the first week to do childcare appreciation week. Its exhausting! You just learn to shop savvy and Dollar General;)
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

That's different though. They are old enough to sell stuff themselves at that point.

Quoting ForeverLawst:

I would suggest you never let your kids join marching band in HS... A lot of money and volunteer work with that. I'm always broke and never bored lately.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)