Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What level of involvement do you have in your child's school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a kindergartner this year. My parents had zero involvement in my school and I always felt excluded from things. Earlier this week there was a form that went home asking for $3 for a bag of popcorn. I thought to myself, um no. 

That day I went to pick my daughter up and I saw a little boy crying. His mom was on the phone telling the person how he was crying that he didn't get popcorn. I noticed all the kids coming out had their bags in hand and I prepared myself. We're a GMO limited and Organic family whenever possible so I figured I would tell her the popcorn was GMO and she'd be fine but I was praying that she wouldn't be crying.

She came out skipping and I was relieved, then on the walk home I was impressed my our conversation.

She told me that next time she would like me to send money to school so she can have popcorn. I explained the popcorn was gmo and she said "That's alright mom, I don't even have to eat it but I felt bad when everyone got a bag except me"

Point taken. Now there is a fundraiser sent home today if you sell 7 items you get to attend a BMX bike show. I know the guy putting on the show and they must have talked to the kids about him because she was reciting some of his moves. The fundraiser isn't set up for door to door, it's for family. My family isn't going to buy this stuff. I'll have DH bring it to work, but in the end I know I'll be buying stuff to get her to that 7 items mark.

Where will this end though? I'll be poor by the end of the year if she's included in every single thing but at the same time I remeber as a kid that the good students were always part of everything like that, and their mothers were at the school and people we knew.

How involved are you? Do you buy fundraiser stuff and popcorn and every little thing the school asks for? We're going to an ice cream social today at 4 pm. Ice cream is a dollar a bowl. lol

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (31-40):
Jinxed8
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

My daughter's old school did a walk-a-thon & pizza lunches to raise money for the school.  Walk-a-thon fine, I gave my own money and I HATE to bother my neighbours and friends with it so I gave a large sum, asked my parents and co-workers and that's it. To show that I, at least tried. I would buy DD the pizza lunch every month.  I volunteered when I ever in her kindergarten class.  Volonteered a few times when she was in grade one for outings and frankly was not asked in grade 2.

This year she is in a new school, they also do the pizza lunches which I will do.  Yesterday the question was asked about volonteer parents and I put my name down for occasional availability.  To be determined. I work full time so it's hard but I can do stuff at home, I offered to buy arts and crafts products and to sponsor lunches.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM

How big is the school? 

Quoting danie24:

My kids participate in everything.

And I volunteer when needed, too.

We are a chemical free family, too and only buy organic, non processed foods.. but instead of making my child feel left out, I call the school and offer to provide the snacks.

On popcorn day, I buy the organic kernels and air pop it at home, bag it in cute paper bags and bring over to the school.

No microwave crap for my babes. LOL

bex55
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM
I don't do fundraisers. I volunteer in the class 1-2 times a week, cutting, laminating, whatever the teacher needs. I organize and help at events. I will donate money to the school if I have it in lieu of fundraising. I don't believe in selling things people don't really need to get maybe half the money for the school.
sarah824
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:46 PM

We participate in a limited capacity with school fundraisers. All of our family is out of state so we leave them alone and all the neighbor kids are selling stuff too. We usually buy one item from each kid. I do NOT worry about hitting whatever *level* the school has set for them and my kids know this. They don't even ask anymore.

We attend ALL fundraising activities (santa shop, bookfair, carnivel, etc.) at the school though.

MommaGreenhalge
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I go to the PTC meetings and voice my opinions about fundraisers.  Which BTW is this: Kids should not have to go begging money or selling things.  Fundraisers should be fun cooperative and community events.  So have a silent auction, a chilli cook off, a concert.  Don't make kids sell stuff.  It's not fair to the kids who have less money or whose parents have less time to go door to door with them. 

And I will fight to make sure that the fun things at school don't cost money.  No child should feel left out because they can't afford something. 

Our school requires that parents volunteer 20 hours per year, so I'll do that and probably more if I can.  I spent 6.5 hours there yesterday running from class to class and helping with whatever was necessary.

lenashark
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM

We volunteer when practical with things like class trips at my six year old son's school, though its limited on what I can do because they have a dumb rule about chaperones needing to be 21 in order to go on certain trips. Once a year they have a fundraiser and we usually don't have trouble selling a few things to family and friends, plus my husband is a bartender and his boss doesn't have a problem with him bringing in the sale list and putting it up on the bulletin board for any customers, in the past they have even had my son come in during the earlier times when its not rowdy and just say into the microphone that he's selling things for his school and anyone who might be interested in seeing the magazine can go ask Robin and a lot of people buy through that. 

Sometimes they do food things like that, if its something ridiculous like $3 for a bag of popcorn, I don't care that we can afford it, not going to happen. Plus there are other things that we don't eat due to not agreeing with the ethics of the company that they come from, like certain kinds of chocolate, and we don't waste things so we aren't buying food that he's not going to eat, so sometimes he gets left out of things like that and that's life. I think learning how to take disappointment and not always getting what everyone else has is important for kids.

Hellobabies
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM

I am on several boards, including grade representative for the parents guild (PTO). My kids attend private school and they don't really do the send home fundraisers. The school holds two large fundraisers a year, the first one is their annual auction. It is a very huge deal in our city and the whole community participates. There is a silent auction that lasts a week and then a live auction that is held during a dinner that the school hosts. It brings in tons of money and is always a great time. The second fundraiser is the annual carnival, held in the spring. They have food, tons of bounce houses and slides, rides, and games. There is also a crafts bazaar and a frozen meals sale. The frozen meal sale is awesome because there are a couple of kids whose parents are gourmet chefs and internationally trained. They always have some awesome and different meals. I prefer their way of fundraising over selling junk.

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Umm I don't do fundraisers, I don't even see them. I don't think we have them at our school. I remember my parents taking them to work when I was a kid though.

I am not a pta mom. I volunteer in my kids classrooms, we go attend school functions (parent teacher confconferences, field days, classroom parties, book fairs, fun fairs) kind of things. I order scholastic books all the time for the kids. The spring concerts. Bake sales.
Freela

I get annoyed by fundraising.  I would actually prefer if they just asked me for fifty bucks a few times a year.  I hate how they get my kids pumped to sell things and win prizes when they have no hope of actually selling that level of stuff (we have a small family and all our friends are doing the exact same fundraisers, so the only people they really have to sell to are dh and I and my parents.)  Generally I participate but do the minimum, and I pay for trips/snacks/treats and things like that.  The only fundraiser I actually like is pizza day, because once a week I dont' have to send a lunch and I'm more than willing to pay for something my kids will actually eat that makes my day less hectic too!

SweetPea2004
I probably have over a thousand volunteer hours at her ( 4th grader) school. I am on the pta board chairing a couple committees.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)