Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What level of involvement do you have in your child's school

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I have a kindergartner this year. My parents had zero involvement in my school and I always felt excluded from things. Earlier this week there was a form that went home asking for $3 for a bag of popcorn. I thought to myself, um no. 

That day I went to pick my daughter up and I saw a little boy crying. His mom was on the phone telling the person how he was crying that he didn't get popcorn. I noticed all the kids coming out had their bags in hand and I prepared myself. We're a GMO limited and Organic family whenever possible so I figured I would tell her the popcorn was GMO and she'd be fine but I was praying that she wouldn't be crying.

She came out skipping and I was relieved, then on the walk home I was impressed my our conversation.

She told me that next time she would like me to send money to school so she can have popcorn. I explained the popcorn was gmo and she said "That's alright mom, I don't even have to eat it but I felt bad when everyone got a bag except me"

Point taken. Now there is a fundraiser sent home today if you sell 7 items you get to attend a BMX bike show. I know the guy putting on the show and they must have talked to the kids about him because she was reciting some of his moves. The fundraiser isn't set up for door to door, it's for family. My family isn't going to buy this stuff. I'll have DH bring it to work, but in the end I know I'll be buying stuff to get her to that 7 items mark.

Where will this end though? I'll be poor by the end of the year if she's included in every single thing but at the same time I remeber as a kid that the good students were always part of everything like that, and their mothers were at the school and people we knew.

How involved are you? Do you buy fundraiser stuff and popcorn and every little thing the school asks for? We're going to an ice cream social today at 4 pm. Ice cream is a dollar a bowl. lol

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
ForeverLawst
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Actually, they don't do any of that.. The music committeee just sends a letter home saying they need this much money for whatever.. Every week I am writing a check for something else. This week was for $75 for a concert dress for after marching season is over. I'm in about $700 so far.  I refuse to work concessions at the football games to offset this amount.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's different though. They are old enough to sell stuff themselves at that point.

Quoting ForeverLawst:

I would suggest you never let your kids join marching band in HS... A lot of money and volunteer work with that. I'm always broke and never bored lately.

tojalusa
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:49 PM
It doesn't end!!!! At least not in our school. I volunteered last year and joined something called the parent academy. Teachers put in special requests for things like making photo copies, laminating, bind books, cut outs, etc. And the lady in charge would send out emails to all the parents involved explaining what needed to be done and when. And whoever was available to do the job would reply and take care of it. The lady that ran it was disorganized and there would be no work to do for months. Very few of the other parents actually did any of the work. So I didnt join it this year. I volunteer to send things in for parties and I have volunteered to go on field trips.
Our school does alot of fundraisers and we try to participate. But when you have 2 kids in the same school and when DH sells stuff at work, which kid gets the credit? So it makes it hard. Besides we also do fundraisers for DD dance class. We have to pick and choose which ones we do.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I'm sure that depends on the school

Quoting ForeverLawst:

Actually, they don't do any of that.. The music committeee just sends a letter home saying they need this much money for whatever.. Every week I am writing a check for something else. This week was for $75 for a concert dress for after marching season is over. I'm in about $700 so far.  I refuse to work concessions at the football games to offset this amount.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's different though. They are old enough to sell stuff themselves at that point.

Quoting ForeverLawst:

I would suggest you never let your kids join marching band in HS... A lot of money and volunteer work with that. I'm always broke and never bored lately.

drowningmama
by vendetta on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:50 PM

I dont do fundraisers for the kids.  I refuse too.  And those stupid gifts they hand out is just that - stupid.  My kids also know we cant afford little things that arent necessary.  

Lunarprancer
by Betsy on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Yeah, my girl started Kinder this year too.  It's been 5 weeks and I've already spent quite a bit of cash.  I don't think it ends.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM

The part that I don't like is that the show she wins tickets to is TBA. How do we know we can even attend once she's hit that level? Sigh.

Quoting drowningmama:

I dont do fundraisers for the kids.  I refuse too.  And those stupid gifts they hand out is just that - stupid.  My kids also know we cant afford little things that arent necessary.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Same here, we just started and it's already crazy. There has to be a happy medium, I just don't know what it is.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Yeah, my girl started Kinder this year too.  It's been 5 weeks and I've already spent quite a bit of cash.  I don't think it ends.

Lisha77
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:55 PM
Yep...

Quoting EmmasMom0305:

Sometimes I buy, sometimes I don't.
-spork2.0-
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
I am as involved as our funds allow us to be lol.

Dd is killing me though. She was told NO to the daily pretzels etc.. and she told the teachers to sign her up bc mommy was sending in the money the next day. She kills me with that stuff.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tojalusa
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Oh and its not just the expenses for class activities and fundraisers, you also have school pictures, then more school pictures in the spring and the year book. They always have their hands out for one thing or another.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN