Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

They are mad because I didn't bring a gift!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 133 Replies
1 mom liked this
This past weekend my niece was christened. My husband works weekends so I had our very active 2.5 year old by myself. Completely forgetting about the crying room at the church I decided I did not want to chase my son nor deal with tantrums that may disrupt the baptism and decided to go right to the brunch at my brother's house. While getting out the door my son had one of his hissy fits about something and in my haste to get him in the car kicking and screaming I forgot all about the christening gift on my kitchen table.
When I got to the brunch both my brother and my sister in law were busy entertaining guests and I saw them and talked to them a few times but did not get the chance to let them know I forgot my gift at home.

The next morning I get a text from my brother telling me that I was the only person who didn't bring a gift to the christening and why wasn't I at the church? He says his wife was very upset with me and that I dug my own grave when it comes to getting invited to more of their family events.

I explained I had the gift but I forgot it at home and the reason I didn't go to the church, both of my excuses are being deemed not acceptable.
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michelles89
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Well they're acting like 2 year olds I'd just say well I have the gift if you want it you guys can come over otherwise I'd let it go. Wow
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katt709
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow. They're horrible. Take the gift back!
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:36 PM
17 moms liked this
I would of taken a picture of the wrapped gift sent it to him and tell both of them to go to hell. Sounds like it was about presents and not the actual christening.
ColieO
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
Good riddance.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

I would have texted back "woo-hoo!  No more invites from you guys!!"

Jinxed8
by Gold Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:38 PM

wow ... that's really petty of them !

KyliesMom5
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this

I'd be telling my brother if all they cared about was the gift then I would not want to go to any more of their family events.  And I would tell him just wait until his child is the same age and then maybe he would understand. Honestly, I think you did the right thing so that your son would not be disruptive. If you had gone I bet his wife would be complaining about your son throwing a tantrum.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:39 PM
14 moms liked this

OMG, a single two year old you had to handle!!! And all by yourself!!!!

Wow, I don't know how you do it.......

I wouldn't have cared about the gift, but I would have cared that you couldn't be bothered to show up for the ceremony.

MommyAddie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this
It's never acceptable to expect a gift or to comment on the lack of one. Never. Very tacky of them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bama410
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:40 PM
2 moms liked this
Wow! I didn't even realize that you are supposed to bring a gift to a Christening! I have only been to one---maybe bringing no gift explains that. LOL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN