Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

What do you think of the names *update*

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
Romeo for a boy and alysia for a girl? These are the names my bf has picked. I prefer jameson but it reminds him of James Patterson lol

Alysia is pronounced kinda like alijha, I thought alysia was right, kinda like Asia but with an ly stuck in. I didn't realize it would be hard to pronounce
Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM
Replies (21-30):
Christenrenee
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:20 PM

After reading more comments I realized I am pronouncing it wrong.  I thought it was more like Ah-lis-ee-uh  Like the evil kid from silent Hill.  I like that pronunciation as well.

Elena-725
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

I agree with this.  I was thinking earlier that Alysia might have difficulties with people spelling her name Alyssa or Alicia, however with this pronunciation (similar to the feminine Elijah), no one is going to assume it's pronounced that way so she'd have problems with spelling AND pronunciation.  WDYT of Alyssa, Alicia or even Elysia (eh-LEE-zee-uh or eh-LEE-zha, means "blissful")?

I do like the sound of Romeo and it would work fine just as long as you're prepared to deal with the Romeo and Juliet association.  I think it's the most common one for most of us.  Then again, I love Juliet and could see myself using that (probably as a middle name, though).

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:

Like Elijah but a girls version

Quoting susannah2000:

Romeo, absolutely NOT. How would alysia be pronounced, Aleesha or Alee see ah? It's pretty either way, but please, not Romeo. The kid will be teased his WHOLE life.

It would be pronounced ah lye sha? Just so you know, she will be spending her life telling people how to pronounce it and spell it. Her ENTIRE  life. Please, don't make it difficult for your kids.

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

How should I spell it? I've just always thought it was spelled like that. You're right and I don't want her to have to correct it all the time

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting susannah2000:

Romeo, absolutely NOT. How would alysia be pronounced, Aleesha or Alee see ah? It's pretty either way, but please, not Romeo. The kid will be teased his WHOLE life.

It would be pronounced ah lye sha? Just so you know, she will be spending her life telling people how to pronounce it and spell it. Her ENTIRE  life. Please, don't make it difficult for your kids.

No, I think this spelling is probably pronounced Ah lee sha.I don't know how you would spell it  to sounds like Elijah, unless it was something like Alijah. I don't know how you could get across the long "i" sound. However, "Alijah" is more feminine and cool sounding.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:23 PM

This

Quoting Kyndall30:

I love Alysia. I like Jameson. I do not like Romeo. At all. Not even a tiny bit.

CelestialSong
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Oh... okay with that pronunciation I don't like Alysia very much either, sorry.  If it's like Elijah I'd try to stick closer to that spelling.

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 2:30 PM

Quoting Elena-725:

I agree with this.  I was thinking earlier that Alysia might have difficulties with people spelling her name Alyssa or Alicia, however with this pronunciation (similar to the feminine Elijah), no one is going to assume it's pronounced that way so she'd have problems with spelling AND pronunciation.  WDYT of Alyssa, Alicia or even Elysia?

I do like the sound of Romeo and it would work fine just as long as you're prepared to deal with the Romeo and Juliet association.  I think it's the most common one for most of us.  Then again, I love Juliet and could see myself using that (probably as a middle name, though).

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting susannah2000:

I have always liked the name Alicia. But! It can be pronounced Aleesha or Alee see uh too! I knew a darling girl named Alaysia, with a soft sh like zsa zsa. It is very similar to what you have in mind, and it is clear how it is pronounced. Not so fond of "elyssa."
Armywifeholcomb
by Silver Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM
My niece's name is Alysia pronounced
A-lee-see-uh
I read it like that until you wrote the way you would pronounce it. Honestly if you went with another spelling it would make it easier in school etc later else there will be many times it needs correcting. Romeo... Errr idk I'd think that more for a middle name....
Elena-725
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:06 PM

Actually, it's Elysia (with an i).  :-)  I thought OP might like it since it has a similar look and sound of Elijah.  Also, OP, have you considered Elisha (eh-LIE-sha)?  It has a sound very similar to Elijah.  The only drawback is that it's a male name (albeit, an uncommon one)  that is being used more often for baby girls (along with Ezra and Noa with no h).  There is an actress named Elisha Cuthbert.  Using male names for females is not my thing, but I know many people do like doing it so I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, you might check out behindthename.com which is the most authoritative name source on the Web.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Elena-725:

I agree with this.  I was thinking earlier that Alysia might have difficulties with people spelling her name Alyssa or Alicia, however with this pronunciation (similar to the feminine Elijah), no one is going to assume it's pronounced that way so she'd have problems with spelling AND pronunciation.  WDYT of Alyssa, Alicia or even Elysia?

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting susannah2000:

I have always liked the name Alicia. But! It can be pronounced Aleesha or Alee see uh too! I knew a darling girl named Alaysia, with a soft sh like zsa zsa. It is very similar to what you have in mind, and it is clear how it is pronounced. Not so fond of "elyssa."

susannah2000
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Quoting Elena-725:

Actually, it's Elysia (with an i).  :-)  I thought OP might like it since it has a similar look and sound of Elijah.  Also, OP, have you considered Elisha (eh-LIE-sha)?  It has a sound very similar to Elijah.  The only drawback is that it's a male name (albeit, an uncommon one)  that is being used more often for baby girls (along with Ezra and Noa with no h).  There is an actress named Elisha Cuthbert.  Using male names for females is not my thing, but I know many people do like doing it so I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, you might check out behindthename.com which is the most authoritative name source on the Web.

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Elena-725:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting susannah2000:

I have heard of Elisha Cuthbert, but thought it was pronounced Eleesha. I don't know how you are going to get the "lye" sound of  Elijah for a girl.

Elena-725
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Elena-725:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Elena-725:

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting susannah2000:

I have heard of Elisha Cuthbert, but thought it was pronounced Eleesha. I don't know how you are going to get the "lye" sound of  Elijah for a girl.

My daughter has a male friend named Elisha and his name does have the LIE sound in it.  At first, I thought my daughter was saying his name was Elijah!  As I said, m>f names are not my thing, but those sorts of names are everywhere.  My daughter also has a female friend named Avery (another traditionally male name).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)