Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

handicap parking

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
  • 146 Replies
3 moms liked this
I have MS and have my placard. Today I went to the store and pulled up into a spot, pulled my placard out and hung it up. Came back from the store and found a nasty note exclaiming how I shouldn't use a placard that belongs to someone else. I wish this person had had the huevos to ask me themselves so that I could have had my chance to explain that not all disabilities are visible to the naked eye. How does everyone else feel when they see someone park in a zone and they view nothing wrong with the person? Are you so quick to judge as this person?
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
baquick
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this
If there is no pass and no visible disability and they park in Handicap, yes I will judge them and think nasty thoughts.

If there is a pass and they appear "fine" I usually don't just bc I know it could be a variety of things.
bullemhead
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm quick to judge when I see a strapping 20 something in perfect health driving a Hummer 3 feet off the ground, leap out like a Gazelle and run in the store. Yup. But other than that....I'm pretty low key about it.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:54 PM
2 moms liked this

I only get irritated w/ ppl that don't have a sticker or hang tag and park in the HC parking. 

You are right, no one knows what is wrong w/ you.  F 'em!

thefiregoddess
by MotherDucker on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep.. me too. I get shity comments especially about my weight (you're not disabled you're just fat!)
Yeah then they fell like an.ass when I pull out my wheelchair.
Elyce225
by Ruby Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I've never gotten a note but I have gotten the evil eye so many times. It's because I look young and usually have my children with me. When I start walking it goes from the evil eye to the sympathy eye. I have had people who stared and judged me at the beginning come up to me and ask if they could help me with anything.

I do judge people who park in them who whip around like nothing is wrong.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BEXi
by BEXi on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:57 PM

I dont judge. My BIL has one, but you could never tell just by looking at him.

3MusketeerMama
by EmmaRye Pie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 7:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't judge. A lot of auto immune diseases aren't noticeably visible yet it affects a person's ability to easily move around or causes them pain. My mom has a permanent placard but you wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her unless you got a close look at her hands. She has rheumatoid arthritis and has considerable joint pain.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:00 PM
I hate it when ppl don't have a placard but otherwise I don't care
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm on supplemental oxygen and after I parked once I was approached my a woman with a nasty look on her face. She started to tell me I should be "ashamed of myself". The look on her face when I took my tank out of the car was priceless! I don't know how she didn't see the cannula in my nose in the first place though :/

xixCandyxix
by Platinum Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM

My dad uses my brothers placard when my brother isn't with him. Uses it for convenience and to avoid paying the parking meter.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)