Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

new carseat regs to start in 2014, but imo shouldnt wait!

Posted by   + Show Post
In 2014 new laws will go into place regarding the use of the latch system for carseats. Personally i dont see why they are waiting to impliment this! For those who cant get to the articles, basically you need to weigh your child and carseat. If the combined weight is 65lbs or more you cant use latch and need to use the regular seatbelt. Latch was not designed to hold carseats that could hold kids up to 100lbs plus the weight of the seat. It may not hold the seat if you are in an accident.

http://www.pediatricsafety.net/2012/06/car-seat-latch-rules-to-change-in-2014-please-read-this-today/

http://carseatblog.com/20202/weight-limits-the-death-of-latch/

ETA: you can not use BOTH the latch and a seatbelt. Here is why:
Should I use both the seat belt and the lower anchors to be sure my child is extra protected?
Securing the child safety seat by using either the lower anchors or the seat belt ofers the same level of protection when used correctly and according to both the child safety seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual. There is no evidence that the child is aforded additional protection when the lower anchors and the vehicle seat belt are used in conjunction with one another.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2FTraffic%2520Injury%2520Control%2FArticles%2FAssociated%2520Files%2FLATCH_faq.pdf&ei=7AI_Us6NCYHK9gSy_YCYAw&usg=AFQjCNGxtsgdQB630R7XXM7afTYfQ9R4iw

ETA 2:
Lots of parents want an extra measure of security when it comes to their baby's protection on the road. This leads many parents to install car seats with both a vehicle seat belt and the LATCH system. Using two installation methods is not as safe as it sounds, though.

You should choose the installation method that allows you to get the best fit in your vehicle. The car seat is installed correctly when you can't move it more than an inch in any direction when you grab the car seat at the belt path, and when the car seat is at the proper angle, such as when rear-facing.

Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat.

The rule of thumb to follow with installation is to never use your baby's car seat in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer. When you install the car seat using methods not outlined in the instruction manual, you are, in essence, using your child as the crash test dummy. We cannot be sure of what will happen when car seats are used in ways that have not been crash tested and approved. Read your car seat instructions and your vehicle owner's manual to find out how your car seat can be installed. If you cannot get the car seat installed tightly using either the vehicle seat belt or the LATCH system, find a certified child passenger safety technician or a car seat inspection station by visiting Safe Kids USA.

Heather Corley is a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician.
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Replies (11-20):
kitty8199
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I use seatbelts. But good info
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bcoll
by Brandi on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:03 AM

Thanks for sharing.

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM
4 moms liked this
Or people could be smart enough and read their car manual. They state the child's weight limit for the latch for your model.
DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM

This doesn't apply to me, so here's a bump. =)

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:07 AM

People are supposed to read those??? No!

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Or people could be smart enough and read their car Manuel. They state the child's weight limit for the latch for your model.

Jennyanne322
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Lol. You would think people would, but I guess not?

Quoting DanaG70:

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Or people could be smart enough and read their car Manuel. They state the child's weight limit for the latch for your model.

DanaG70
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

It's like a man putting a kids bike together on Christmas eve, why follow the instructions? They know everything. =)

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Lol. You would think people would, but I guess not?

Quoting DanaG70:

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:10 AM

We're past the carseat crap.....

P.V.Hawkwind
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Fields456:

I have never used the latch system I have always used the seatbelt

momager2two
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:18 AM
1 mom liked this
This is new due to aap changing carseat recommendations over the past few years and carseats being able to hold children up to 100lbs now.

Quoting Jennyanne322:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)