Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

new carseat regs to start in 2014, but imo shouldnt wait!

Posted by   + Show Post
In 2014 new laws will go into place regarding the use of the latch system for carseats. Personally i dont see why they are waiting to impliment this! For those who cant get to the articles, basically you need to weigh your child and carseat. If the combined weight is 65lbs or more you cant use latch and need to use the regular seatbelt. Latch was not designed to hold carseats that could hold kids up to 100lbs plus the weight of the seat. It may not hold the seat if you are in an accident.

http://www.pediatricsafety.net/2012/06/car-seat-latch-rules-to-change-in-2014-please-read-this-today/

http://carseatblog.com/20202/weight-limits-the-death-of-latch/

ETA: you can not use BOTH the latch and a seatbelt. Here is why:
Should I use both the seat belt and the lower anchors to be sure my child is extra protected?
Securing the child safety seat by using either the lower anchors or the seat belt ofers the same level of protection when used correctly and according to both the child safety seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual. There is no evidence that the child is aforded additional protection when the lower anchors and the vehicle seat belt are used in conjunction with one another.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2FTraffic%2520Injury%2520Control%2FArticles%2FAssociated%2520Files%2FLATCH_faq.pdf&ei=7AI_Us6NCYHK9gSy_YCYAw&usg=AFQjCNGxtsgdQB630R7XXM7afTYfQ9R4iw

ETA 2:
Lots of parents want an extra measure of security when it comes to their baby's protection on the road. This leads many parents to install car seats with both a vehicle seat belt and the LATCH system. Using two installation methods is not as safe as it sounds, though.

You should choose the installation method that allows you to get the best fit in your vehicle. The car seat is installed correctly when you can't move it more than an inch in any direction when you grab the car seat at the belt path, and when the car seat is at the proper angle, such as when rear-facing.

Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat.

The rule of thumb to follow with installation is to never use your baby's car seat in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer. When you install the car seat using methods not outlined in the instruction manual, you are, in essence, using your child as the crash test dummy. We cannot be sure of what will happen when car seats are used in ways that have not been crash tested and approved. Read your car seat instructions and your vehicle owner's manual to find out how your car seat can be installed. If you cannot get the car seat installed tightly using either the vehicle seat belt or the LATCH system, find a certified child passenger safety technician or a car seat inspection station by visiting Safe Kids USA.

Heather Corley is a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician.
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Replies (41-50):
RandiBear
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:17 AM
I am told that a lot but how would it being fully secured make it dangerous? That doesn't make sense.
Quoting Anonymous:

The seat is not tested that way. It could be dangerous.

Quoting RandiBear:

I have always used a combination of them. It seemed the smartest move. The latch system held the top and bottom firmly against the seat and the lap belt reinforced them.

kaycersmom
by Katie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:21 AM
Why not both?

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Thats why there are latches. Makes it easier to install and they are safe. Choose either one but not both.

Quoting kaycersmom:

We've always used seatbelts and latches I've never heard of just using latches and I didn't realize they had a weight limit, interesting

Sweety1018
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:25 AM
I use both too I didn't know there was a weight limit.

Quoting kaycersmom:

We've always used seatbelts and latches I've never heard of just using latches and I didn't realize they had a weight limit, interesting
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM
1 mom liked this
That is super dangerous.

Quoting LilrockerMama:

I've always used latch plus seatbelt? The one my daughter is in now has one on each side one on the back and then I run the seatbelt through and keep it snapped all the time.
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:28 AM
Very unsafe just so you know

Quoting Sweety1018:

I use both too I didn't know there was a weight limit.

Quoting kaycersmom:

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:29 AM
Car seats need movement in a crash. Seatbelt and latches make it too tight so in a crash they are more likely to snap.

Quoting kaycersmom:

Why not both?

Quoting starbuckmom03:

Thats why there are latches. Makes it easier to install and they are safe. Choose either one but not both.

Quoting kaycersmom:

jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:31 AM
It's funny, I think the seatbelt is easier then the latch anyway getting the seats in and out.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:32 AM

putting too much strain on the plastic will cause it to break...and that is what using both does. If you read the car seat manual, OR the car LATCH manual, they both explain to use one or the other, but not both. car seats were meant to give, and move, and stay near the child to protect the child, NOT to stay adhered to the seat, causing the child to launch forward and risk injury...

Quoting RandiBear:

I am told that a lot but how would it being fully secured make it dangerous? That doesn't make sense.
Quoting Anonymous:

The seat is not tested that way. It could be dangerous.

Quoting RandiBear:

I have always used a combination of them. It seemed the smartest move. The latch system held the top and bottom firmly against the seat and the lap belt reinforced them.

Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM
There is a metal clip that you are supposed to use to secure the seatbelt. Using both the patches and seatbelt is very dangerous.
"Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat. "

Quoting RandiBear:

Weird. The seat doesn't feel that secure with just the belt in our van. In the car, it's a non issue because we don't have a latch system in it. I don't see how one would negatively effect the other though.

Quoting momager2two:

When i was pregnant with my first i went through a carseat safety class. They helped me install dds seat. They said that is one of the biggest mistakes people make ia using both the latch system and the seatbelt. I dont know why though. Never looked into it or queationed it.

Quoting RandiBear:

momofpreemieboy
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:33 AM

Never used the latch I felt it never looked safe enough and if I did I still used the seatbelt with it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)