Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

new carseat regs to start in 2014, but imo shouldnt wait!

Posted by   + Show Post
In 2014 new laws will go into place regarding the use of the latch system for carseats. Personally i dont see why they are waiting to impliment this! For those who cant get to the articles, basically you need to weigh your child and carseat. If the combined weight is 65lbs or more you cant use latch and need to use the regular seatbelt. Latch was not designed to hold carseats that could hold kids up to 100lbs plus the weight of the seat. It may not hold the seat if you are in an accident.

http://www.pediatricsafety.net/2012/06/car-seat-latch-rules-to-change-in-2014-please-read-this-today/

http://carseatblog.com/20202/weight-limits-the-death-of-latch/

ETA: you can not use BOTH the latch and a seatbelt. Here is why:
Should I use both the seat belt and the lower anchors to be sure my child is extra protected?
Securing the child safety seat by using either the lower anchors or the seat belt ofers the same level of protection when used correctly and according to both the child safety seat instructions and the vehicle owner’s manual. There is no evidence that the child is aforded additional protection when the lower anchors and the vehicle seat belt are used in conjunction with one another.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=3&ved=0CDkQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.nhtsa.gov%2FDOT%2FNHTSA%2FTraffic%2520Injury%2520Control%2FArticles%2FAssociated%2520Files%2FLATCH_faq.pdf&ei=7AI_Us6NCYHK9gSy_YCYAw&usg=AFQjCNGxtsgdQB630R7XXM7afTYfQ9R4iw

ETA 2:
Lots of parents want an extra measure of security when it comes to their baby's protection on the road. This leads many parents to install car seats with both a vehicle seat belt and the LATCH system. Using two installation methods is not as safe as it sounds, though.

You should choose the installation method that allows you to get the best fit in your vehicle. The car seat is installed correctly when you can't move it more than an inch in any direction when you grab the car seat at the belt path, and when the car seat is at the proper angle, such as when rear-facing.

Car seats are designed to handle crash forces in specific ways. While we know, thanks to federally mandated crash testing, that baby's car seat will withstand crash forces when installed with the seat belt, or with the LATCH system, we do not know if the same car seat will withstand crash forces when both systems are used at the same time. Putting two installation belts through the same belt path could put stress on the car seat shell from two different angles during a crash, causing breakage. Using two installation belts could also concentrate more crash force on a small area of the car seat.

The rule of thumb to follow with installation is to never use your baby's car seat in a way that was not intended by the manufacturer. When you install the car seat using methods not outlined in the instruction manual, you are, in essence, using your child as the crash test dummy. We cannot be sure of what will happen when car seats are used in ways that have not been crash tested and approved. Read your car seat instructions and your vehicle owner's manual to find out how your car seat can be installed. If you cannot get the car seat installed tightly using either the vehicle seat belt or the LATCH system, find a certified child passenger safety technician or a car seat inspection station by visiting Safe Kids USA.

Heather Corley is a certified Child Passenger Safety Technician.
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
Replies (511-520):
Abbeysunshine
by Member on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I always used both cause thats what the instructions said to do
newmomma2011
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:11 PM

ok well the reason i didnt read it is my friend went to a carseat saftey class that how she got her daughters carseat and she told me how to do it i did look into it and my son and is carseat are not over the limit but ill be useing the seatbelt from now on thx very much  

Quoting RobinBright:

This is why you really need to read the carseat manual... you can't just toss it in the car and go.  There are rules and requirements for proper installation.  

The briefest answer is that the seats DO NOT pass safety tests with both systems engaged.  

The physics: the carseat is supposed to move forward slightly with the child's body, allowing the incredibly high forces of the crash to disperse.  One of the most common risks of using both systems is that the seat is installed TOO tightly, leaving insufficient "wiggle room" for the forces to be exerted.  The result is that the only thing moving is your child's head, leading to whip lash (best case scenario) or internal injuries to the spinal cord and neck.  

Further, the seat is designed to withstand extreme force to EITHER the seatbelt path OR the lower anchors.  It is not designed to have both of these areas put under high pressure at the same time.  By using it improperly and stressing both the beltpath and the anchors simultaneously, you run the risk of fracturing the plastic, causing the seat to dislodge in an accident. 

Again, while the carseat manual does not explain the details of WHY you can't use both, it does state specifically that you cannot do it.  Using your carseat in any way that violates the manufacturer's instructions is not only dangerous, but illegal under proper use laws. 

The moral of the story is that you must choose one or the other.  Either system is perfectly safe, as long as it is used correctly.  Using both together might seem like a way to keep your child safer, but it is actually more dangerous.  

This video is an example of what can happen to your child when you use LATCH and the seatbelt together.  Since the seat is held too tightly and cannot release the crash forces, the only thing that moves is the child, likely breaking the neck if it were a human.

Quoting newmomma2011:

Oh well I didn't know that thought it was safer I was useing all 3anchers and the seat belt can u explain to me y it not ok I'm just criouse

Quoting RobinBright:

It is not that you "don't have to use both."  You CANNOT use both.  This is clearly stated in every car seat manual.  

You can use the seatbelt and the top tether together, but you can never use the seatbelt and the lower anchors together. 

Quoting Anonymous:

thats good to know but i didnt know you could use just the latch ive always used both seat belt and the latches to the seat so i guess im ok with that but i was supprised to know u didnt have to use both 

jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:21 PM

On what seat??  NO instructions EVER have said to use both. Because they know it's dangerous.

Quoting Abbeysunshine:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:09 PM
My regular vehicle does not allow for the Latch system but my husband's 2010 car does. Here's the funny thing though. Using just the belt system in my 1996 van works. I can't move it as instructed. When I install the car seat in my husband's car, I HAVE to use both to keep the seat from moving more than an inch?! What is up with that? With that in mind, I do feel that my child is safer with both systems in use than just the one. Granted, I have never used just the belt system in my husband's car. I'll have to see how that works the next time we need it. I just assumed the latch was safer. His seat supposedly can sit a child up to 100 pounds so why wasn't this latch issue discovered sooner and corrected with better designed car seats/boosters? Is this part of the fallout from the increase in overweight babies/toddlers?
MommyBoha
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:11 PM
LATCH has always had weight limits, they are just making them universal now. What seat do you have? No seat harnesses to 100lbs. Also never use both seatbelt and LATCH. One or the other

Quoting Anonymous:

My regular vehicle does not allow for the Latch system but my husband's 2010 car does. Here's the funny thing though. Using just the belt system in my 1996 van works. I can't move it as instructed. When I install the car seat in my husband's car, I HAVE to use both to keep the seat from moving more than an inch?! What is up with that? With that in mind, I do feel that my child is safer with both systems in use than just the one. Granted, I have never used just the belt system in my husband's car. I'll have to see how that works the next time we need it. I just assumed the latch was safer.

His seat supposedly can sit a child up to 100 pounds so why wasn't this latch issue discovered sooner and corrected with better designed car seats/boosters? Is this part of the fallout from the increase in overweight babies/toddlers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:14 PM

Quoting MommyBoha:

LATCH has always had weight limits, they are just making them universal now. What seat do you have? No seat harnesses to 100lbs. Also never use both seatbelt and LATCH. One or the other

Quoting Anonymous:

My regular vehicle does not allow for the Latch system but my husband's 2010 car does. Here's the funny thing though. Using just the belt system in my 1996 van works. I can't move it as instructed. When I install the car seat in my husband's car, I HAVE to use both to keep the seat from moving more than an inch?! What is up with that? With that in mind, I do feel that my child is safer with both systems in use than just the one. Granted, I have never used just the belt system in my husband's car. I'll have to see how that works the next time we need it. I just assumed the latch was safer.

His seat supposedly can sit a child up to 100 pounds so why wasn't this latch issue discovered sooner and corrected with better designed car seats/boosters? Is this part of the fallout from the increase in overweight babies/toddlers?

I assumed that if the car seat stated that it could hold up to xx number of pounds, then the latch system could support it. If not, then the car seat should have been marketed at the maximum load for the latch system since most cars have it installed. I just have a pre-latch system vehicle. I have an evenflo car seat with side impact. I don't recall any other thing about it. It stays in the van 99% of the time. I had a britax marathon but my daughter totaled the car they were installed in. The county EMT department replaced them (had two) free. But get this. The accident was in January 2012 but the car seats had it marked clearly on the back "DO NOT USE AFTER DECEMBER 2007!!!" The EMT installed the seats so it was a year later when I was cleaning them that I saw that. They were Graco booster seats without latches. No clue as to their weight limit.
jackiewal10
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting MommyBoha:

Quoting Anonymous:

I assumed that if the car seat stated that it could hold up to xx number of pounds, then the latch system could support it. If not, then the car seat should have been marketed at the maximum load for the latch system since most cars have it installed. I just have a pre-latch system vehicle. I have an evenflo car seat with side impact. I don't recall any other thing about it. It stays in the van 99% of the time. I had a britax marathon but my daughter totaled the car they were installed in. The county EMT department replaced them (had two) free. But get this. The accident was in January 2012 but the car seats had it marked clearly on the back "DO NOT USE AFTER DECEMBER 2007!!!" The EMT installed the seats so it was a year later when I was cleaning them that I saw that. They were Graco booster seats without latches. No clue as to their weight limit.

The CARSEAT is not going to have that information because it isn't the carseat that has the limit.  It is the car itself.  And until this law is in effect, the limit is different for different cars. 

kstchr
by Bronze Member on Oct. 2, 2013 at 12:23 AM

We never had new enough vehicles to even use the LATCH system when our kids were small. Good information, though!

Fazed
by on Oct. 5, 2013 at 11:20 AM

A 65lb child would not be rf or ff or in a five point harness. 

Quoting stephiebugg:

Some people keep their kids rearfacing for a long time, which means they must be in a 5pt harness... right? My kids are both FF, but I know plenty of people who have kids the same age as mine and are RF. Still.

Quoting Fazed:

This is amusing considering... what child is going to be in an carseat when they are 65lbs? Wont they be in a booster, using a seatbelt? 

Abbeysunshine
by Member on Nov. 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM
I don't know where you buy car seats. I have bought 6 car seats in various stages and all of them had instructions on the sides on the car seats and instructions in the owners manual that came with the car seat when I bought them.

Quoting jackiewal10:

On what seat??  NO instructions EVER have said to use both. Because they know it's dangerous.

Quoting Abbeysunshine:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)