Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

DS is acting really... emotional

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 18 Replies

and i have no idea what to do. i dont like when ANY kid acts like this, boy or girl. the fact that he's acting like this, knowing i dont really 'approve' makes me more frustrated...

but he's been crying at the drop of a hat.... or he thinks he's the big man on campus and when i parent him (which i do EVERY TIME dont get me wrong), he throws the HUGEST fit.... i dont want to call it a 'hissy fit'... but thats what i think of when i see it. he throws his arms around, wiggling his body, making faces... sometimes even getting on the floor/ground and throwing it there- at this point, he starts crying if he hasnt already.

as much as i want to say, 'get up, act like a man/kid'-- i dont. i just tell him he needs to stop behaving in this way. he'll FORCE himself to cry when he doesn't get his way, or when he has to do his homework or something he doesnt want to do... the i'm gonna open my mouth, hold my breath til my face turns red and eventually i'll start fake crying until real tears go down my face type of forced cry.

he's not a manly-boy. he doesnt like sports, doesnt like to run (yes, i know- pointless in this post, but it does kinda upset me that he doesnt have an interest that i can find other than video games).

i'm scared to put him in any type of sport b/c back when i did (during the summertime), he threw his types of 'fits' and the coach would let him off on whatever he had to do. he's a HUGE complainer when it comes to physical activities (<-- this is semi-normal, for the last year).

i'm at a loss on what to do. idk how to handle his temper tantrums. i dont spank- not b/c i'm against it, but b/c it doesnt phase him. (the only man in our lives- NOT my boyfriend or anything- said i need to use a belt.. it's not affecting him b/c my hand doesnt hit him hard enough... no thanks!). he's not around any other man (the man i said above comes around once in a blue moon).

did i fail him somehow, by being the only person in his life? did i let him get away with something and i just dont see/know it? (he throws his fits- that i ignore- then i make him do whatever hes' supposed to do)

i'm positive something is going on with that little mind of his, but either he doesnt know what it is, or he's just not telling me.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jarkrt
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
How old is he?
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Quoting jarkrt:

How old is he?
should've added that... he's 7. he'll be 8 in less than a month.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:33 AM

bump

marrionsmommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Ds was like this...we put him in wrestling he is a totally different kid now. We found a coach who doesnt take tantrums and scared the crap outta him lol. He now doesnt cry easily, and actually is labeled as one of the tougher kids at practice now. Its been 1 year and this kid is light years away from where he started. Wrestling is a single sport (no team) so you have to rely on yrself and coaches coach to the individual not the team. Good luck
hautemama83
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Has he been around anyone different lately? Given his age, it makes me think hes seeing someone else behave that way and getting away with it. I agree with not spanking if ot doesn't phase him. But I would send him to his room every single time he starts having "issues". Also ditch the video games, and start sending his ass outside.
yo_ho
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:36 AM
My ds is having emotional swings too. He normally does it right before a growth spurt. Emotional and eating a ton. I figure I'm just being prepped for the teen years. Those years are going to suck!

I tell ds to drop the tude or go in his room. I have been going through this for a while now and I onow sometimes he just needs a break. So he can go in his room and calm down or do it now. Video games are restricted until homework is done and there is a limit to how much he can do. He knows he loses video games if the attitude is really bad.
marrionsmommy
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM
Oh yeah ds was like that about sports too..ran 1 time around a circle first practice and came back saying he had a cramp. Coach came right out to the stands and brought him back out to finish running. Now he loves to run and is SUPER athletic.
poietes
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM
My oldest, 7 also is actually almost the same, my mil uses the term drama king. But he's the same with soorts and running. I dont know what to do about the crying, he doesnt do it in school, we are the only ones privledged enough to see it. I do not react to it. I ignore him until hes done. As for intests, my son loves animals, has since he could say cow says moo. He loves to draw also, he makes books about animals. Find the thing that intrest him and nurture it. I want to find him an art class, he is also in boy scouts. Good luck, I hope you can find an intrest for him.
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:48 AM

idk how to find a coach who wont put up with his tantrums. did you explain to the coach beforehand? or let him witness it first or something?

he did ninjitsu so it was kinda a single person, but in a group setting... the coach was getting tired of his ways and basically just made him sit out the rest of the time (any time that DS would start acting up and not doing what he was told to do)

Quoting marrionsmommy:

Ds was like this...we put him in wrestling he is a totally different kid now. We found a coach who doesnt take tantrums and scared the crap outta him lol. He now doesnt cry easily, and actually is labeled as one of the tougher kids at practice now. Its been 1 year and this kid is light years away from where he started. Wrestling is a single sport (no team) so you have to rely on yrself and coaches coach to the individual not the team. Good luck

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM

now that i think about it- we get his little cousin. she gets spoiled like a princess (everything is hers... including the van that they bought. its HER van and when she was told she couldnt drive it-- cuz you know- she's 4! lol- she threw a fit too)... but we've been getting her for over a year now.... although all his issues did start around the same time.

his bio-dad is around, but not involved and i know DS sees him (from a distance)-- which is the newest change. i think thats whats bothering him and maybe he thinks if he acts bad enough, BD will come around...? but that wont happen.

he earns video game times, but its only for a little bit and on days/times that nothing else can be done (like tonight, he played from 8:00-8:15-- it was raining hard outside and he was waiting for the shower to open up). tomorrow, i'm sending him outside all day (i'll be out there with him--- please dont rain! lol)...

i let him do his issues where ever he is, or i make him go stand in the corner until he calms down. if he's in his room, i feel like he'll just start playing with his toys or something. at least if he's in front of me, i see he's over his fit and we can get started on whatever needs to be done

Quoting hautemama83:

Has he been around anyone different lately? Given his age, it makes me think hes seeing someone else behave that way and getting away with it. I agree with not spanking if ot doesn't phase him. But I would send him to his room every single time he starts having "issues". Also ditch the video games, and start sending his ass outside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)