Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

doberman's new ears edit

Posted by   + Show Post

Yes even after all y'alls crazy comments I still got his ears cropped. The whole process was easy and took about 30 minutes. Stitches stayed in exactly one week and this picture was taken after being posted for two days. He is so so so handsome now and he looks like a beautiful doberman.

EDIT: It is a military/pet style. This is our first time having to deal with posting and we wanted to reduce our risks of a crop and flop. So yes it is shorter than a show cut that most are accoustomed to but we did think responsibly and didnt want it to go thru the surgery and healing with a long crop and us mess up and the ears just flop anyways. 

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Replies (531-540):
SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM
That includes your own dad, maybe not a shady breeder, but inflicted pain on those dogs he breeds.

"Quoting opheliarae:

Have you ever seem a puppy get their tails docked?

((((My dad breed boxer, and took me to get a litter docked.))))

Its the most horrible thing I've ever seen. You could hear the puppies crying outside the building. I've had boxer since, but I've haven't got their tails docked. They dont look stupid. They look like dogs. Their tails are no more destructive then a regular dogs tail. My lab/pits tail hurts more then my boxers when it whacks you. The next time you do it, why don't you watch it. See how you feel about it then.

Quoting opheliarae:

Also not thinks I agree with. :) that's fine, that's your opinion and vanity. I don't see the poinin the first place. I prefer fostered dogs. Their are to many shady breeders. in inflicting pain for cute or prettiness. If I didn't love an animal the way it was born to look, I wouldn't buy it. :) that's just me. But. I wouldn't buy a dog in the first place. To many shady breeders just on it for the money.

Quoting Stephd710:

Seen it. Still does not change my mind. I've seen little girls cry getting their ears pierced, baby boys cry getting circumcised, blah blah blah. Any boxer I have will get a docked tail.

Quoting opheliarae:

Have you ever seem a puppy get their tails docked? My dad breed boxer, and took me to get a litter docked. Its the most horrible thing I've ever seen. You could hear the puppies crying outside the building. I've had boxer since, but I've haven't got their tails docked. They dont look stupid. They look like dogs. Their tails are no more destructive then a regular dogs tail. My lab/pits tail hurts more then my boxers when it whacks you. The next time you do it, why don't you watch it. See how you feel about it then.

Quoting Stephd710:

Lol ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm not surprised, animal abuser...

Quoting Stephd710:

Yeah. All day everyday. Pain pain pain.

Quoting Anonymous:

So you enjoy causing dogs pain? What an awesome human being you are

Quoting Stephd710:

Yes I'm aware of the process. I will have it done for my next dog too. Nothing any of you will say will convince me otherwise.

Quoting Anonymous:

did you know they crop a puppie's tail without any sort of anesthesia? obviously not that you care, but still. why cause pain to an animal that doesnt understand what youre doing just for cosmetic reasons?

Quoting Stephd710:

Yes. My dog has good, water, shelter, and love. I doubt she misses her tail.

Quoting Anonymous:

read that back to yourself, does that sound like a good animal lover/owner to you? "we do as we please with them. tough!"

Quoting Stephd710:

LOL!  This is hilarious.  People "like me" do and will continue to own dogs and do as we please with them.  Tough!  

Quoting Anonymous:

The dog looks stupid the way it was born?? are you kidding me?

how would you feel if someone came by and cut off your earlobes cuz they thought you looked stupid with them?

people like you shouldnt own dogs

Quoting Stephd710:

LOL!  I didnt do it, she was already docked when I picked her out.  Whatever, boxers look stupid with long tails.  Nothing you can say will make me feel guilty or bad about it.  If i get another one someday, it will be docked too.  

Quoting Anonymous:

So u could see what you did to your dog..

Quoting Stephd710:

Why would I? It's not like I can make my dogs tail grow back.

Quoting Anonymous:

You should read up on tail cropping. Its bad for the dog, they need their tails for a lot of reasons

Quoting Stephd710:

He's gorgeous! I don't see anything wrong with it. I have a boxer and her tail is cropped. Thank goodness it is too! If it was long, as much as she wags and wiggles, the house would be destroyed! Lol!

lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Normally dobermans (as I'm sure other breeds) have their tails docked when they are anywhere from 2-5 days old. I have 2 dobermans both have docked tails and one has natural ears and one has cropped ears, both were adopted by us that way. When I bring another doberman into my home he/she will be from our local rescue (or humane society), however if I ever were to want to buy a puppy he/she would not have cropped ears. One of my dogs (the one with cropped ears) is AKC registered, but that piece of paper means NOTHING to me as I would never "show" either of my dogs.

I think some people crop their dogs (doberman and other breeds) because they think it makes the dog look meaner. I know that I've had people (who have never met my dogs) look at their pictures and say that my furry baby with cropped ears looks meaner than my natural boy. For the record neither are "mean" but both are very protective of us, however my natural boy is VERY protective of me.

Quoting Mamie_85:

sorry. i don't support cropping ears or docking tails.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

opheliarae
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this
He was a shady breeder. Thank you for continueing to help me with my point. Hes the reason I feel the way about it I do, him and others like him. Who see animals as property. And the value in them is dollar signs. And only want the ones pleasing to the high. Designer dogs. You think I real decent man would take his young, very young, daughter to see puppies tails chopped off?

Quoting SnapIt:

That includes your own dad, maybe not a shady breeder, but inflicted pain on those dogs he breeds.

"Quoting opheliarae:

Have you ever seem a puppy get their tails docked?

((((My dad breed boxer, and took me to get a litter docked.))))

Its the most horrible thing I've ever seen. You could hear the puppies crying outside the building. I've had boxer since, but I've haven't got their tails docked. They dont look stupid. They look like dogs. Their tails are no more destructive then a regular dogs tail. My lab/pits tail hurts more then my boxers when it whacks you. The next time you do it, why don't you watch it. See how you feel about it then.

Quoting opheliarae:

Also not thinks I agree with. :) that's fine, that's your opinion and vanity. I don't see the poinin the first place. I prefer fostered dogs. Their are to many shady breeders. in inflicting pain for cute or prettiness. If I didn't love an animal the way it was born to look, I wouldn't buy it. :) that's just me. But. I wouldn't buy a dog in the first place. To many shady breeders just on it for the money.

Quoting Stephd710:

Seen it. Still does not change my mind. I've seen little girls cry getting their ears pierced, baby boys cry getting circumcised, blah blah blah. Any boxer I have will get a docked tail.

Quoting opheliarae:

Have you ever seem a puppy get their tails docked? My dad breed boxer, and took me to get a litter docked. Its the most horrible thing I've ever seen. You could hear the puppies crying outside the building. I've had boxer since, but I've haven't got their tails docked. They dont look stupid. They look like dogs. Their tails are no more destructive then a regular dogs tail. My lab/pits tail hurts more then my boxers when it whacks you. The next time you do it, why don't you watch it. See how you feel about it then.

Quoting Stephd710:

Lol ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Yes I'm aware of the process. I will have it done for my next dog too. Nothing any of you will say will convince me otherwise.

Quoting Anonymous:

did you know they crop a puppie's tail without any sort of anesthesia? obviously not that you care, but still. why cause pain to an animal that doesnt understand what youre doing just for cosmetic reasons?

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

read that back to yourself, does that sound like a good animal lover/owner to you? "we do as we please with them. tough!"

Quoting Stephd710:

LOL!  This is hilarious.  People "like me" do and will continue to own dogs and do as we please with them.  Tough!  

Quoting Anonymous:

how would you feel if someone came by and cut off your earlobes cuz they thought you looked stupid with them?

Quoting Stephd710:

LOL!  I didnt do it, she was already docked when I picked her out.  Whatever, boxers look stupid with long tails.  Nothing you can say will make me feel guilty or bad about it.  If i get another one someday, it will be docked too.  

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

You should read up on tail cropping. Its bad for the dog, they need their tails for a lot of reasons

Quoting Stephd710:

He's gorgeous! I don't see anything wrong with it. I have a boxer and her tail is cropped. Thank goodness it is too! If it was long, as much as she wags and wiggles, the house would be destroyed! Lol!

SnapIt
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:32 PM
You do if you get to know them before buying a backyard dog.

I bought 2 rotties
And i can tell you, they were not held down on a kitchen counter butchered like a piece of meat in a butcher shop
Thats the difference

Not all go through the pain like so many here are saying.
Some are done the right way

This is like
A spin on baby boys being circumcised
People
Chiming in how much pain all baby boys are in when they dont know how it was done for each baby.
There is the wrong way and the right way
The wrong way are those idiot make a buck people holding puppies down and using a plain ole scissor and string
So not all go through this

Quoting opheliarae:

I never said he didn't. My dads a piece of shit. He had my brother help him do one litter in our kitchen before. You think hes the only person to save money on dogs? To widen his profit. That's must point. You don't know what kind of people your dealing with. It seems unnecessarily cruel for something that's not necessary

Quoting SnapIt:

Dont know what kind of person did those puppies, but ive personally seen rotties get theirs done and they were no screaming puppies.

Your dad probably paid a cheap price to get his dogs done to make a quick buck off of them

Quoting opheliarae:

Quoting Stephd710:

Lol ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Krysta622
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Interesting.

Quoting smurfbitebug:

Working dogs (key words there) should have their ears and tails cropped in some situations to avoid injury. There is no actual need to crop or dock anything on a pet. It is also illegal in some countries to crop or dock anything on a show dog. Because they aren't working dogs. So no need.

Also, fun fact, people used to get taxed on their pets, but not their working animals. So people would dock their dogs tails even though they were pets to avoid taxes.

Quoting Krysta622:

What's the point? Honestly, can someone tell me why this is done?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:42 PM
Poor dog😥 hopefully soon america will
Ban this in humane treatment of animals just like so many other countries .and people like you should be ashamed

Quoting AmyRenee1:Yes even after all y'alls crazy comments I still got his ears cropped. The whole process was easy and took about 30 minutes. Stitches stayed in exactly one week and this picture was taken after being posted for two days. He is so so so handsome now and he looks like a beautiful doberman.EDIT: It is a military/pet style. This is our first time having to deal with posting and we wanted to reduce our risks of a crop and flop. So yes it is shorter than a show cut that most are accoustomed to but we did think responsibly and didnt want it to go thru the surgery and healing with a long crop and us mess up and the ears just flop anyways. 
RigPrincess85
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Ugh... I hate when people do that to dogs. :(

To each their own though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:47 PM
I don't know why it's still allowed! It's been banned in so many other countries!!! Makes me sad to think of someone cutting off part of a poor animals ear

Quoting RigPrincess85:

Ugh... I hate when people do that to dogs. :(

To each their own though.

opheliarae
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
To be honest. I don't know where I stand on the whole circ debate. We did our son, but that decision I left to my s.o.
But that's my deal with it. You don't know. Does every person who buys a dog take the time to get to know the breeder? I can't imagine they do. Or people like my father would have never sold a puppy. Every dog I've owned was one a rescue dog. I have only seen the shady side of dog dealer. That's what I know. That's what I base my opinion on. To be honest. I don't think people should make money from animals. I've had multiple pure breed dogs. I've never paid a dime for one. Enough of them get abandoned, I've never had to. I think in theory if you'll pay hundred and thousands of dollars for a dog, you'll take care of it..butmy aunt operates an animal rescue I volunteer at, and I've seen first had that's not the case. To many people are paying for the label, not the companion. For every bad story, there's a goodone. With me, the bad ones hold more weight. Id rather just not have it done at all, then a few dogs suffer from incompetance and cruelty.

Quoting SnapIt:

I bought 2 rotties

And i can tell you, they were not held down on a kitchen counter butchered like a piece of meat in a butcher shop

Thats the difference

This is like

People

Chiming in how much pain all baby boys are in when they dont know how it was done for each baby.

The wrong way are those idiot make a buck people holding puppies down and using a plain ole scissor and string

Quoting opheliarae:

I never said he didn't. My dads a piece of shit. He had my brother help him do one litter in our kitchen before. You think hes the only person to save money on dogs? To widen his profit. That's must point. You don't know what kind of people your dealing with. It seems unnecessarily cruel for something that's not necessary

Quoting SnapIt:

Dont know what kind of person did those puppies, but ive personally seen rotties get theirs done and they were no screaming puppies.

Your dad probably paid a cheap price to get his dogs done to make a quick buck off of them

Quoting opheliarae:

Quoting Stephd710:

Lol ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:54 PM

its painful for all the puppies, its normally done without any sort of anasthesia.. and vet schools dont teach cropping and docking so vets that do it, tend to just wing it.

Quoting SnapIt:

I bought 2 rotties
Thats the difference

This is like
People

Quoting opheliarae:

Quoting SnapIt:

Quoting opheliarae:

Quoting Stephd710:

Lol ok.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Stephd710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured