Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

There is a reason small children should not be near electronics unsupervised!!!

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 24 Replies

My MIL has an iPad that she uses regularly. She has tons of games downloaded on it for all the kids to use while they are visiting. She signed up to get daily emails with Free Apps, and they occasionally go through this together and download some of them. Everytime they downloaded one, she had to enter her password, and never gave this password to the kids. What she didn't realize was that the kids could buy credits in game AFTER she had entered in her password. Silly her, her credit card was on file at iTunes. But there is a link in the game where my nephew 6 was playing 'Buy 6000 Fish bucks for $149.99'. Well, he did this a bunch of times and spent over $500. She didn't know about it until he showed her today, "Nanna, look, I can buy Fish Bucks without spending money!!!"Now, she wants sil to foot the bill. My kid plays those free games and always harrasses me to buy the in game coins for her. She tries, but guess what pops up!!! PASSWORD for my iTunes account and she does not know it. And I mean my kid plays all them free games, zoo, sea, city, zombie, you name it. These are most likely parents that give their kids their passwords and now they want to blame someone else...or even apple. Correct me if i'm wrong and someone knows of any apps that are free and you can just click buy coins and its done. When I'm finish installing a new free app for my kid, I RESTART the ipad so the password is not saved for how ever many minutes it is.

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
seemommyrun
by Sue daNim on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That's exactly how we ended up paying $49.99 in a Spongebob app. Never again...

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Once I put in my password on candy crush, it is there until I exit the game and go back in. :-( Luckily my kids know not to buy anything without permission.
jiffypop2207
by Silver Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this
And this is why I never link a credit card to my account.
CelestialSong
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

That is a tough lesson to learn when you're letting kids play with your devices. My daughter was about 20 months old when she purchased an ad-free version of a little game I was letting her play. Luckily it was only $1.99... but after that I made damn sure that any time she had my Kindle, every control was in place to prevent that from happening again!

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:52 PM

If the kid was at grandma's and broke something worth $500 would SIL offer to help foot the bill?

momtolittleg
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:54 PM
You can set up your iTunes account to require a password every so many minutes or every purchase. She's an idiot for not knowing that and taking steps to prevent that.
Mychele
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Change the iPad settings. To require password every time.
j3st3r
by Jedi on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:57 PM
1 mom liked this

There's some chick on here leaving her kids home ALONE all day at 6 & 7, so I don't think all moms prioritize supervision.

IDK about the bill.  Could she dispute the charges as unauthorized?  Some bank reps are understanding.

RiotousDigits
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:59 PM

this is why my kids can only use these things with the wifi off.  if the game needs wifi to run, tough cookies.

SaratheV
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Can't she have that reversed on her credit card?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured