Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

MIL gave my baby what!?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 269 Replies
5 moms liked this

I just found out that my MIL who was in town for the day on Thursday gave my EBF 5 month old a giant tootsie roll to suck on when DH and I ran out for 15min to pick up dinner! WTF?!? Now my babies 1st food was nasty sugar/corn syrup/whatever!

And she KNEW that I wouldn't think that was OK when she did it! She told DH " "A" probably won't like it but I let the baby suck on a tootsie roll when you ran to the store."

I'm just in shock right now, seriously why the hell would you do something like that!?  UGH!

Edit: Most of you seem to get why it made me mad if not I'll try to make it clear.

1. She KNEW I wouldn't be OK with it and did it anyway. Not cool at all.

2. Of all things to give her if you're going to do it anyway, a tootsie roll? Sorry but I think giving a baby candy is pretty idiotic.

3. That was my baby's "1st food experience" and she knew it, not only would I like to be present for that but there are a million other things I would chose to give her before a tootsie roll.

4. So it wouldn't be a big deal to some of you, so you wouldn't care, so you gave your 4 month old XY and Z. That's great. It is a big deal to me, I can respect that you wouldn't care why is it so hard to respect that I do care?

Those saying I'm over reacting? I posted this as a vent 5 minutes after DH told me, and THAT has been my only actual reaction so far. Haven't said a thing to MIL and don't plan on "cutting her out of our lives" over it lol.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM
10 moms liked this

The baby could have choked! That is terrible. No more alone time with grandma. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM
4 moms liked this
She would get a nasty call from me and would pay for that mistake by losing time with her grandbaby. That's bullshit.
Blueliner
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

She won't even see the kids for another 6 months probably (Lives out of state) but yeah!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

The baby could have choked! That is terrible. No more alone time with grandma. 

Blueliner
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that's why DH waited till she left to mention it to me, but he wasn't very happy either!

Quoting Anonymous:

She would get a nasty call from me and would pay for that mistake by losing time with her grandbaby. That's bullshit.

lovemyhoney
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
4 moms liked this
I would never leave her with my baby alone! She has lost all trust. I probably wouldn't even go back there! You are the parent, not her. She needs to know her boundaries!
maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I would never leave her alone with the baby again. She is crazy!

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM
4 moms liked this
Seeing as she knew you wouldn't like she would be getting a very well thought out email with a few choice words along with you either start respecting or it will be a long time before you see the grandkid (s).
Blueliner
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

That's how I feel... To do that admittedly knowing I wouldn't like it is just disrespectful! 

BTW... DH and I have been together 11 years and I've never really had a problem with her before.

Quoting lovemyhoney:

I would never leave her with my baby alone! She has lost all trust. I probably wouldn't even go back there! You are the parent, not her. She needs to know her boundaries!

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
9 moms liked this
By the way tootsie rolls are the shit. So don't take your anger and frustration out on the candy of the gods.
Yogamom08
by ♥ on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
That makes me sick. I won't even leave the room when my in laws are interacting with my 6 month old because I am afraid they would give her something to eat. Anything would upset me, but a tootsie pop?!? I would have a serious issue with this and would more than likely at least temporarily cut MIL off. Especially if she knew you wouldn't approve. I am so sorry :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN