Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

MIL gave my baby what!?

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
  • 269 Replies
5 moms liked this

I just found out that my MIL who was in town for the day on Thursday gave my EBF 5 month old a giant tootsie roll to suck on when DH and I ran out for 15min to pick up dinner! WTF?!? Now my babies 1st food was nasty sugar/corn syrup/whatever!

And she KNEW that I wouldn't think that was OK when she did it! She told DH " "A" probably won't like it but I let the baby suck on a tootsie roll when you ran to the store."

I'm just in shock right now, seriously why the hell would you do something like that!?  UGH!

Edit: Most of you seem to get why it made me mad if not I'll try to make it clear.

1. She KNEW I wouldn't be OK with it and did it anyway. Not cool at all.

2. Of all things to give her if you're going to do it anyway, a tootsie roll? Sorry but I think giving a baby candy is pretty idiotic.

3. That was my baby's "1st food experience" and she knew it, not only would I like to be present for that but there are a million other things I would chose to give her before a tootsie roll.

4. So it wouldn't be a big deal to some of you, so you wouldn't care, so you gave your 4 month old XY and Z. That's great. It is a big deal to me, I can respect that you wouldn't care why is it so hard to respect that I do care?

Those saying I'm over reacting? I posted this as a vent 5 minutes after DH told me, and THAT has been my only actual reaction so far. Haven't said a thing to MIL and don't plan on "cutting her out of our lives" over it lol.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Emerald Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:27 PM
10 moms liked this

The baby could have choked! That is terrible. No more alone time with grandma. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM
4 moms liked this
She would get a nasty call from me and would pay for that mistake by losing time with her grandbaby. That's bullshit.
Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:29 PM

She won't even see the kids for another 6 months probably (Lives out of state) but yeah!

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

The baby could have choked! That is terrible. No more alone time with grandma. 

Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah that's why DH waited till she left to mention it to me, but he wasn't very happy either!

Quoting Anonymous:

She would get a nasty call from me and would pay for that mistake by losing time with her grandbaby. That's bullshit.

lovemyhoney
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM
4 moms liked this
I would never leave her with my baby alone! She has lost all trust. I probably wouldn't even go back there! You are the parent, not her. She needs to know her boundaries!
maddiesmommy5
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:31 PM

I would never leave her alone with the baby again. She is crazy!

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:33 PM
4 moms liked this
Seeing as she knew you wouldn't like she would be getting a very well thought out email with a few choice words along with you either start respecting or it will be a long time before you see the grandkid (s).
Blueliner
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM

That's how I feel... To do that admittedly knowing I wouldn't like it is just disrespectful! 

BTW... DH and I have been together 11 years and I've never really had a problem with her before.

Quoting lovemyhoney:

I would never leave her with my baby alone! She has lost all trust. I probably wouldn't even go back there! You are the parent, not her. She needs to know her boundaries!

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
9 moms liked this
By the way tootsie rolls are the shit. So don't take your anger and frustration out on the candy of the gods.
Yogamom08
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:34 PM
That makes me sick. I won't even leave the room when my in laws are interacting with my 6 month old because I am afraid they would give her something to eat. Anything would upset me, but a tootsie pop?!? I would have a serious issue with this and would more than likely at least temporarily cut MIL off. Especially if she knew you wouldn't approve. I am so sorry :(
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN