Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Home parties, MLM and pyramid-based selling - Edit and Poll added.

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 157 Replies

Poll

Question: How do you feel about Home parties where people sell things and ask you if you want to host a party?

Options:

I love them.

I have mixed feelings.

I hate them.

I have never been to one.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 83

View Results

Why do so many people fall for these gimmicky companies?  I actually do enjoy the home party concept but I don't like the pressure to be a host.  And None of the (Multi-level marketing) MLM products are best in their class IMHO. There is nothing Pampered Chef sells that I can't get better at Williams Sonoma.  There is no Arbonne, Mary Kay or Avon product better than what is sold at Ulta.  There is no candle better than what you can get at Target and Wal-mart.  I have lost a few friends who joined these cults.  Honestly...the occasional Thirty One party can be fun...but their stuff is no better than Vera Bradley.  If you sell this stuff because you like it or want to make a "few" bucks that is one thing but please do not do it at the expense of your friends and dear family.

Just to be clear...the following companies ARE pyramid based marketing..  You will probably never get rich selling their products.  You will waste your time and eventually lose your friends if you keep pushing your shit down their throats.

• Pampered Chef
  • Arbonne
  • Thirty One
  • Scentsy
  • Southering Living at Home
  • Taste of home
  • Amway
  • Partylite
  • Lia Sophia
  • Pure Romance
  • Stella & Dot

This is a great article for those of you considering becoming involved with a MLM company.

http://jezebel.com/5942048/shopping+oriented-pyramid-schemes-lure-in-ladies-then-steal-their-friends-cash-and-confidence

What are your experiences with home parties?  Which of the products do you actually like/hate?

Edit: Here is one of the reasons I am bitter on these companies. Last year DH and I were in a restaurant and I heard someone call my name - first and (maiden) last. It was an old friend I had not seen in over 20 years. We used to work together bagging groceries when we were 16.  She asked if I wanted to have coffee and I said yes.  We set it up and I was really looking forward to seeing her.  I do not have many friends from childhood.  I get to the coffee shop and all she wants to talk about is Arbonne.  I tell her I am not interested because I just had a very severe case of dermititis and am under the care of a dermotologist who has my problem under control.  She keeps pushing and pushing this "all-natural propaganda" at me.  I was like WTF I said no.  Then she asks me if I want to sell it.  I reiterate that I just got a master's and am very happy at my (legitimate) company.  Ultimatley, I was very hurt.  I was really hoping to rekindle our friendship.  She never called me again.

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
anotherhalf
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:10 PM
I hate them. I accepted invitations to two but then I felt like I was just obligated to buy things I didn't want or need. My friends that did it were in a real financial bind and also very understanding, so no friendships lost.
danie24
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I don't think they're schemes.

They all have potential if you're willing to put in the work.

My neighbour makes a killing selling Mary Kay. She loves it. Owns the pink car and everything.

She had to quit her full time job just to keep up and now she's so high up on the pyramid she makes more money than she has ever made in her life.

But she is a great sales person.

I have no desire to have such a job.
quickbooksworm
by Ruby Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM
3 moms liked this
Hey, there is nothing wrong with a good sex toy party. Fuck the Tupperware and make up though.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:33 PM

totally agree

wymama610
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:37 PM

One of my friends sells 31 bags. I really like them. She hasn't done parties or anything, just puts in orders when people need something. She's not out to get rich quick I guess. LOL

lalaballet
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Pyramid schemes are illegal. Some direct sales /MLMs suck some are good and it isn't impossible to make money. People think it's easy money and it isn't, it takes work and dedication then they quit and call it a scam. Check out "the flip flop CEO" for some of the myths and mind sets about the type of company.
2and2onway
by Kimmie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Pampered chef and 31 sell well in my area.

hisgirl616
by Platinum Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I agree. I hate them!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Don't forget the Quixtar crap. My FIL became absolutely obsessed, back when it was Amway, and stuck with it after the changeover to Quixtar. Always trying to sign us up and so devoted he only bought from them/himself. Things like ketchup, toilet paper, anything, even though he was paying way more than he could afford. I do know a couple people who made a nice side income, because they focused on selling the unique cleaning products, or they sold in rural areas where stores were sparse instead of getting other folks lined up under them. FIL, however, wanted to get rich quick. He decided he wasn't succeeding because he wasn't working it hard enough and quit his regular job. He is, literally, bankrupt and lost his house.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:44 PM
5 moms liked this

I don't get why you consider it a scam when it works the same way a brick and mortar store works, minus having to own a building? I honestly would rather attend a pure romance party and be able to ask questions in a safe environment than go to Condom Sense

I don't work for any of those companies, I am just curious where the scam aspect is?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)