Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Adopting a Dog from a Pound--Success Stories?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 223 Replies
1 mom liked this

We want to adopt a dog.....who's got a good success story about getting an unknown pooch from the pound?

Posted by Anonymous on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamelathemommy
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I adopted my first dog 13 years ago. He is still the best dog ever. We had to get past an adjustment period, but it was well worth it. Rescues just seem more grateful and attached than other animals. Hope you find a great dog!

LokisMama
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:46 AM

I haven't adopted a dog recently, but every dog we adopted growing up was from the local shelters.  We had three dogs, from the time I was about 4, til I was 18 when I moved out of my parents house.  Never had any problems.

Don't be afraid to ask questions.  They might not have all the answers, but they should be able to tell you something of the dog in questions background, maybe speculate at a breed, and at the very least even if it's a mutt, tell you if it's going to be a 30lb dog at adulthood, or a 130lb one.

wooly
by Knitting Maniac on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM

We've adopted all of our cats from the Humane Society and never had any problems. My dog is a Purebred and we got him from a Rescue Group for his breed. You couldn't ask for a nicer, easy going dog. That's normal for his breed, but I've heard of dogs that aren't as nice as him.

ShellLea
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:48 AM

Not me personally. I usually take in dogs that people don't want before they go to the pound. I do know quite a few people with pound puppies, though. The only one I know of that wasn't successful was the dog that was so scared of the woman's bird that it wouldn't even eat. She rehomed him and got permission to introduce the next dog to her bird before adopting.

A ton of dogs end up in pounds because people couldn't or wouldn't take care of them, not because there is something wrong with the dog.

LittleBlueOwl
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:52 AM
We adopted one if our dogs, the little guy in my profile pic, his name is Elvis. He is a Jack Russell mix. he has been such a good dog. he never has had an accident in the house other than when he has had an upset tummy from eating a pepperoni. he is the sweetest dog with a big personality abd a great temperament. just remember everyone in the house should meet the new dog before you adopted. see how they react with each other.
elephantmamaof2
by Ruby Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Our shelter dog was not a success. He had horrible aggression issues and ended up attacking my daughter. He was rehomed. He should have never been adopted to a family with young children in the first place though, he'd be worlds better off at a farm somewhere. Our current dog was rescued, but we snagged him up before he actually went to the shelter. He's the most amazing dog in the entire world, seriously my best friend and amazing with the children. It really is just hit or miss, just try to stick to breeds that are known family dogs. Our first was a border collie- not exactly meant to be housedogs. Our current dog is a black lab mix, labs are notoriously great house dogs.

mcclanto
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:55 AM

We have adopted three dogs over the years, including the one in my profile pic.  They have all been great!

Kodysmommy928
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:57 AM
We adopted a 10 year old pug from the Humane Society. He was dropped off after his previous owner died. Our Pugsley passed away this June after being with us for a year and a half. I miss that little man every day.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM
I have a shelter dog. My best advice is to go in and pay with the dog for a little while. Don't let them rush you. They told me that I shouldn't get the dog I did because she had bitten every employee that tried to handle her and I have small children. Well, she's been abused and she's a fear biter. I always go slow with animals I don't know and it wasn't hard to see that she was afraid. We've had her for a while now and she's never bitten any of us.
Duckling007
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:01 AM

I got my dog Speedy from the pound 7 years ago.  He is the best 89 bucks I ever spent!  He is loyal, loving, and smart.  We just got another puppy from the pound so he could have a friend, and that puppy is hyper, but awesome too!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN