Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

S/O Buying a dog from a breeder - Success stories?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 131 Replies
3 moms liked this

Don't get me wrong. I like shelter dogs. I know that you can find great dogs at shelters and I have rescued and re-homed more than my fair share of dogs, cats, and other animals. However, it does get on my nerves when people act like I am a cruel person because I have purebred dogs from breeders. Apparently, I am responsible for every animal in the world who is abused or abandone because I paid for a dog. I have one dog that I bought from a breeder, one dog that was bought from a breeder and given to me as a gift, one dog from a breeder that my husband got before we were married, and one dog that I rescued from the street.

My collie, AKC regestered, from a breeder, show dog parents, is the best dog anyone could ever ask for. She has saved my life and my children's lives and even my neighbor and her family's lives. She is the most loyal and devoted dog I have ever seen. She is protecive and loving and gentle and loves my kids very much. My other breeder dogs are loyal and loving as well. When I was a toddler, it was a cockapoo from a breeder that protected me from a strange dog that attacked me.

I am not knocking shelter dog. I personally prefer purebreds but I love mutts as well. The puppy I may be getting soon is a mutt and all of my cats are rescues. I just don't think that where a dog comes is a guarantee of a good dog. Shelter dogs seem more attached or more grateful because their owners have decided they are. Dogs don't remember or think about the past. They live in the moment and, right now, they are attached because they love their owners. It has nothing to do with where they come from. I have also known some shelter dog nightmares as well.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:04 PM

My last dog was from a breeder. My next dog will probably be adopted. I just wanted a matching set for now.

Razzle_Dazzle1
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:07 PM

What do you mean by a matching set?

Quoting thejodigirl:

My last dog was from a breeder. My next dog will probably be adopted. I just wanted a matching set for now.

CafeMom Tickers

danie24
by Ruby Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:10 PM
2 moms liked this

Our dog was from a breeder.

I would never adopt an animal from a shelter. You don't know the blood line, you don't know if the dog has a history of aggression or destruction, you don't know if the animal was neglected or abused, you don't know if they are predisposed to health issues and so much more.

When we decided we wanted a dog for our family we first researched all of the breeds. We decided we wanted a German Shepherd because they are so intelligent, protective and loyal.

Then we researched breeders in our area and beyond. We wanted to make sure the breeder owned the parents so we could see the parents. We wanted to make sure the breeder was well educated, we wanted to see how long he had been breeding, how he treated his animals, where they lived, where the pups would be raised for the first 8 weeks and a thousand other questions.

We found a great guy we liked and trusted. The parents of our dog are athletes and show dogs. The mother has won many awards in tracking.

Just make sure you don't pick any random breeder you find online or in the newspaper. Do your research.

MooBaaLaLaLa80
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
2 moms liked this

You didnt want a breed that is predisposed to health issues but you got a German Shepherd?  Ugh.

Quoting danie24:

I would never adopt an animal from a shelter. You don't know the blood line, you don't know if the dog has a history of aggression or destruction, you don't know if the animal was neglected or abused, you don't know if they are predisposed to health issues and so much more.

When we decided we wanted a dog for our family we first researched all of the breeds. We decided we wanted a German Shepherd because they are so intelligent, protective and loyal.

Then we researched breeders in our area and beyond. We wanted to make sure the breeder owned the parents so we could see the parents. We wanted to make sure the breeder was well educated, we wanted to see how long he had been breeding, how he treated his animals, where they lived, where the pups would be raised for the first 8 weeks and a thousand other questions.

We found a great guy we liked and trusted. The parents of our dog are athletes and show dogs. The mother has won many awards in tracking.

Just make sure you don't pick any random breeder you find online or in the newspaper. Do your research.

wymama610
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:14 PM
1 mom liked this

After we tried with a pound nightmare, I will never adopt a dog again. We got our cat at the shelter and she's awesome. The dog however....... Psycho. Once she started killing things it was over. 

We found a wonderful Doberman from a local breeder that has been breeding dobies for almost 20 years. She is awesome. Our papered blue heeler is the best dog I've ever owned. I will never get a shelter dog again.

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:20 PM

That is where RESEARCH and education come in. Ethical breeders do health checks before breeding any dog. If the breeder can't show you proof of things like hip x-rays to screen for hip dysplasia, then don't buy a puppy.

Quoting MooBaaLaLaLa80:

You didnt want a breed that is predisposed to health issues but you got a German Shepherd?  Ugh.

Quoting danie24:

harehelper
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:24 PM

I feel you there! I have two shelter mutts and a purebred Collie. Every rescue I have ever had (several) has killed my chickens, or my rabbits, chased my sheep, attacked my cats, etc. The Collies I have had since I was ten years old? None of them ever touched any of my other animals.

Quoting wymama610:

After we tried with a pound nightmare, I will never adopt a dog again. We got our cat at the shelter and she's awesome. The dog however....... Psycho. Once she started killing things it was over. 

We found a wonderful Doberman from a local breeder that has been breeding dobies for almost 20 years. She is awesome. Our papered blue heeler is the best dog I've ever owned. I will never get a shelter dog again.

thejodigirl
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Same breed of dog. 

Quoting Razzle_Dazzle1:

What do you mean by a matching set?

Quoting thejodigirl:

Schizomom91
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Mine was from a breeder, but he was stolen :(
over40bride
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:28 PM

I have both. My mutt is from the humane society and the picture of health, Can eat anything! Most people think he is weird looking but I think he is adorable and just love him to death.

My beagle is from a breeder. Not a scary multiple dog breeder (the females only have litters every 2 years.)

She was supposed to be a show dog but I wanted a pet and the momma dog only had two puppies male and female. I had been waiting forever for a female so she sold her to me even though I wasn't going to show her. She is uber cute but has had sooooo many health problems!

Edit~ Breeder was wonderful and I would reccomend finding a good breeder. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)