Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kid won't GET a gazillion Christmas presents this year because she doesn't need them.

Posted by   + Show Post

santa green

Our daughter is three years old and this year she is getting exactly three Christmas presents.

Why???

Because she's three. 

Because other people will be giving her presents.

Because she already has tons of toys. 

Because her birthday is in the last week of November and she'll get presents for that. 

Because she's three. Or will be anyway. 

We're also buying her gifts ahead of time. She's getting a lala-oopsie doll, a jack-in-the-box Caillou (cutest darn thing ever), and pink lego duplo lego's (because I believe she's ready to move past mega-blox).  And that's it! My kid is doesn't need a ton of gifts and as she gets older she won't either.  

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Replies (101-110):
katemckenzie
by Kate on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Caillou is the devil in the first place, and THEY MAKE A JACK IN THE BOX VERSION?!?!?! 

FUCK THAT SHIT.

lulumomof2
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:02 PM

I agree I have 2 sons (15 yrs and 13 yrs) and can spend $100 with NO problem in each of their stockings!

Quoting LovlyRita:

That is fine. I would think a tree with three presents under it would look a little sad. What about a stocking? I can easily spend $100 on a stocking.

Dobermans are like Potato chips, nobody can have just one!

Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:05 PM
I wish I could do but I love spoiling my kids. Although I am not trying to go overboard this year I can say I have already bought each of mine more then 3 gifts already. Shit I already spent almost a $1000 on them.

My DS7 will be 8 2 weeks before Christmas and we have a big family and do a Christmas eve gift exchange too.
Cozie_Sisika458
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:13 PM
Looks like what happens to me every year. I have to move furniture to make all the gifts fit lol.

Quoting Kristanna:

I always buy waaaaaay too much! Seriously gotta cut back some, but three gifts seems kinda not fun lol 

Last year for two kids, just some of the gifts. Had to take two pics it all wouldn't fit in one shot. This was right before our first wrapping session, we had three sessions. 

The problem we have now is buying for kids that literally have everything. 

Good news though is we always donate toys twice a year to our local women's shelters.

Lisha77
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:14 PM
Ok...thanks for sharing!

Quoting flowerfunleah:

santa green

Our daughter is three years old and this year she is getting exactly three Christmas presents.

Why???

Because she's three. 

Because other people will be giving her presents.

Because she already has tons of toys. 

Because her birthday is in the last week of November and she'll get presents for that. 

Because she's three. Or will be anyway. 

We're also buying her gifts ahead of time. She's getting a lala-oopsie doll, a jack-in-the-box Caillou (cutest darn thing ever), and pink lego duplo lego's (because I believe she's ready to move past mega-blox).  And that's it! My kid is doesn't need a ton of gifts and as she gets older she won't either.  

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:16 PM

My kids are getting 5 gifts each...and then 2 or 3 that they share.  1 large gift and 4 smaller ones.  We are going low key this year, but the large gifts are going to be costly....and that is another reason.  They both need a new pair of skates....one is getting roller blades and the other is getting artistic roller skates (super expensive for the size).

whohasmyname
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Okay. Good for you & her I guess.   

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

lmao my dd 18 gets one gift for christmas, and dd 14 has been told if she doesnt stop expecting everything all the time, she wont be getting any christmas presents, because everytime I put money away for christmas , she wants to go here or do this with friends, and ends up with the christmas money because daddy cant say no to Daddys little girl.

RaynesMommy07
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM
It's so pointless. You can teach her every single day to be appreciative of the little things and big things in life without limiting her Christmas. That just makes no sense to me.
Jamabot5
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:18 PM

I spend $100 per child, every year.

Years ago, we would spend way, WAY more, and my children would pick 1 toy they liked, and basically ignored the rest.  They got overwhelmed by the sheer quantity of gifts.  $100 worth of gifts works beautifully for us. And we try to stick to the "something they want, something they need, something to wear, something to read" idea.

My kids want for nothing, but we also want to teach them that material possessions are not the be all, end all to a happy, fulfilling life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)