Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kid won't GET a gazillion Christmas presents this year because she doesn't need them.

Posted by   + Show Post

santa green

Our daughter is three years old and this year she is getting exactly three Christmas presents.

Why???

Because she's three. 

Because other people will be giving her presents.

Because she already has tons of toys. 

Because her birthday is in the last week of November and she'll get presents for that. 

Because she's three. Or will be anyway. 

We're also buying her gifts ahead of time. She's getting a lala-oopsie doll, a jack-in-the-box Caillou (cutest darn thing ever), and pink lego duplo lego's (because I believe she's ready to move past mega-blox).  And that's it! My kid is doesn't need a ton of gifts and as she gets older she won't either.  

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Yes, me too!

I was in ds's room earlier today and saw just how many toys he hasn't even used yet:

big Lego set...I think it was a Marvel one

medium size Lego set...ninjago or something

telescope

r/c helicopter

set of soccer goals

5 art/craft kits and 1 gross science set

1 huge Nerf gun

1 other Nerf gun

All new, sitting in their never-opened boxes, from last Christmas or his birthday in March.

Then there's stuff he's used once or twice since receiving them last Christmas...way too much. What a waste. We will definitely be focusing on experiences and giving this year.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Honestly I've been rethinking the whole Christmas thing lately. We have a Christmas account and spend every single cent on my son. Its ridiculous. I asked him a month ago what he got for Christmas last year and he remembered one item. the DSI. This year I am thinking of using that money more towards actually celebrating the holiday by going places and living the experience. Get him one big gift and one smaller one in addition to his stocking gifts. and thats it. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:41 PM
My kids get a few things...but not tons.. I teach my kids the REAL meaning of Christmas...we bake a cake for Jesus, and also leave cookies n milk and carrots for him and his reindeer.
MommyKarma
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I think that sounds fine. Hell, I felt horrible because last week I had to suffice giving DS about 9 toys (100 dollars total) for his birthday. Usually I am going way crazy, saving and spending on it for months. I couldn't this year.

He LOVED LOVED LOVED what I got him, though he's played with them just as much as any other toy. SIGH. He'd rather just be outside swinging and trying to follow along all the neighborhood (and older) kids convos and adventures lol.

I decided this year for Christmas I will take it easy too. His grandmother still buys him a ton of stuff as well as his aunt and uncle. So I am going to focus more into buying him new clothes for the season since he needs that more than presents. I will end up buying him a few toys, maybe just some DS games and some small stuff. I don't know.

MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:43 PM
My son collected school supplies for the local children's shelter for his bday this year. He got a few presents of things he wanted and needed but Xmas will be the same. My daughter is 3 and her bday is a month after Xmas so we stick to practical things. I even had a come to Jesus meeting with my parents about all the useless crap.
cali_gurl
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM

I agree! My son gets so many gifts from others that I don't buy him lots either. Just a few.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Ds usually gets a ton of presents.

This year, I've narrowed it down. I know there's a lady on CM that does 4 gifts...something you want, something you need, something to wear, something to read. I'm planning on going kind of along those lines. I'm not sure I can stick to ONE item per category, but it'll be close.

For his "want", I've already bought the 2 new Lego Minecraft sets. I assumed he'd want them and thought I'd better order early in case they are hard to find. Today, I asked him what he's going to ask Santa for...and he said those. Yay! For his "something you need", we are looking at tablets. It may not be a true need, but he does need something to do schoolwork on. I'll him a robe and an outfit or two for his "something to wear" and a boxed set of books and/or Kindle giftcard for his "something to read". That's it!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:50 PM
All my kids want is the nook hd, and that's all they will get
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:54 PM

Why do the Legos have to be pink?

mommaponch
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:55 PM

We try to stay very low key for Christmas at our house.  When I was growing up my mom went way overboard.  And while I loved it at the time it was very overwhelming and didn't do anything good for her financially.  I have four children and they each get ...

1 "bigger" present from mom and dad

1 "bigger" present from Santa

1 pair of pajamas that they get to open Christmas eve

Misc smaller items in their stocking (a book, action figures, a cool toothbrush, and candy)

My father in law always sends money so we get his gift and they get that Christmas morning as well

They will also generally get a group gift, the year we went crazy they got a laptop, this year it's going to be a video game they've been looking forward to

Christmas morning they basically open their stocking stuff and 2-3 presents. 

okpondlady
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

When mine got to be about 7 or so we changed the way we did Christmas.  I buy them 1 complete outfit that they pick out. Shirt, pants/skirt, undies, socks, shoes, coat... whole deal.  Then we get 1 toy... under $50.   That is easily $150 for each kiddo.   Works for us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN