Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kid won't GET a gazillion Christmas presents this year because she doesn't need them.

Posted by   + Show Post

santa green

Our daughter is three years old and this year she is getting exactly three Christmas presents.

Why???

Because she's three. 

Because other people will be giving her presents.

Because she already has tons of toys. 

Because her birthday is in the last week of November and she'll get presents for that. 

Because she's three. Or will be anyway. 

We're also buying her gifts ahead of time. She's getting a lala-oopsie doll, a jack-in-the-box Caillou (cutest darn thing ever), and pink lego duplo lego's (because I believe she's ready to move past mega-blox).  And that's it! My kid is doesn't need a ton of gifts and as she gets older she won't either.  

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Replies (81-90):
LSeabolt1982
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Agreed. WE just cleaned out my son and daughters toybox and pulled a ton of donate stuff out. I was so proud of my son ( my daughter is only 18 months and had no say)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 14 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:14 AM
I don't get my kids much either
M0M0F03
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Whatever works for you. Some families do not even celebrate Christmas. I personally love it and buy a ton. I just love to shop :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 15 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:19 AM
I have kids we are doing the 4 gift thing.

They each are getting a tablet.

They each are getting a coat.

They each are getting 2 new outfits.

They each are getting a science kit and a science book.

Than they each get a small stocking.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 16 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Mine will be 5 two weeks after Christmas and she is getting a handful of presents. That's it. She will get a couple games for her leappad. A carrier for it. A princess trashcan. Something big from santa. And a stocking. For her bday she is getting a new bedding set (princess) and some clothes for her 18 inch doll. I'm tired of spending 600 on Christmas and bday and she only plays with the stuff a few times.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Several years ago the kids had so many gifts they didn't even open some of them (they unwrapped them but that was it). I won't do that ever agin. Since that year Christmas is more about the experience than about gifts. We do a variation on the want need wear read, we do want read wear share. It seems to work really well and we don't stress as much over Christmas gifts.

Quoting brettsmomma:

Honestly I've been rethinking the whole Christmas thing lately. We have a Christmas account and spend every single cent on my son. Its ridiculous. I asked him a month ago what he got for Christmas last year and he remembered one item. the DSI. This year I am thinking of using that money more towards actually celebrating the holiday by going places and living the experience. Get him one big gift and one smaller one in addition to his stocking gifts. and thats it. 

Isaacsmom913
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:26 AM

We do the same thing!  Not because of his age, but because I had read about hte "three wisemen" approach long before he was born.

He gets a clothing item

A money item

and a "want"  which he's only 2 so who knows what he wants.

He has 4 grandparents, 5 Aunt's/Uncles (not counting spouses), and friends who give him gifts.  He gets plenty but we want him to understand that Christmas isn't about what Mommy and Daddy bought you.

susannah2000
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Quoting Kristanna:

I always buy waaaaaay too much! Seriously gotta cut back some, but three gifts seems kinda not fun lol 

Last year for two kids, just some of the gifts. Had to take two pics it all wouldn't fit in one shot. This was right before our first wrapping session, we had three sessions. 

The problem we have now is buying for kids that literally have everything. 

Good news though is we always donate toys twice a year to our local women's shelters.

This is just SOME? Like a THIRD of what your kids got? Way way WAY too much. this pic alone is too much. How many toys do you give to the toy drive? New toys or castoffs?? One, three ten? Then turn around and give the kid fifty new toys? It still isn't teaching kids to give rather than receive. Kids do not need a fraction of all that stuff, and there are too many kids that need warm clothes, jackets, books, and toys.

MotherOfPurpose
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 1:47 PM

That seems fine, However if you want to limit gifts for Christmas to teach values and not have it be about material stuff that's an excellent reason,but I wouldn't use her birthday as an excuse to limit Christmas she might get a complex ( I know so many grown too-close to holiday babies that had they done to them and yes they do have a complex)

Kristanna
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Obviously I said I have a Christmas present buying problem lol, I wholeheartedly agree we buy too much. However My DH and i get joy out of giving our children presents so while we need to cut down I'm not going to buy 3 gifts each and call it a day. My husband works hard to provide, and we have AMAZING kids who we like to spoil. 

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Kristanna:

I always buy waaaaaay too much! Seriously gotta cut back some, but three gifts seems kinda not fun lol 

Last year for two kids, just some of the gifts. Had to take two pics it all wouldn't fit in one shot. This was right before our first wrapping session, we had three sessions. 

The problem we have now is buying for kids that literally have everything. 

Good news though is we always donate toys twice a year to our local women's shelters.

This is just SOME? Like a THIRD of what your kids got? Way way WAY too much. this pic alone is too much. How many toys do you give to the toy drive? New toys or castoffs?? One, three ten? Then turn around and give the kid fifty new toys? It still isn't teaching kids to give rather than receive. Kids do not need a fraction of all that stuff, and there are too many kids that need warm clothes, jackets, books, and toys.

CafeMom Tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)