Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My kid won't GET a gazillion Christmas presents this year because she doesn't need them.

Posted by   + Show Post

santa green

Our daughter is three years old and this year she is getting exactly three Christmas presents.

Why???

Because she's three. 

Because other people will be giving her presents.

Because she already has tons of toys. 

Because her birthday is in the last week of November and she'll get presents for that. 

Because she's three. Or will be anyway. 

We're also buying her gifts ahead of time. She's getting a lala-oopsie doll, a jack-in-the-box Caillou (cutest darn thing ever), and pink lego duplo lego's (because I believe she's ready to move past mega-blox).  And that's it! My kid is doesn't need a ton of gifts and as she gets older she won't either.  

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Replies (91-100):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 18 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:31 PM

I want to do the same with my dd, she will be 1 on Halloween. My sister gets her kids so much stuff it is crazy. They do not have much money and she got them so much that her 13 year old son started to cry. It was not tears of joy, he was sad as he knew they didn't have much money, but yet had all these expensive gifts.

susannah2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Quoting Kristanna:

Obviously I said I have a Christmas present buying problem lol, I wholeheartedly agree we buy too much. However My DH and i get joy out of giving our children presents so while we need to cut down I'm not going to buy 3 gifts each and call it a day. My husband works hard to provide, and we have AMAZING kids who we like to spoil. 

Quoting susannah2000:

Quoting Kristanna:

I always buy waaaaaay too much! Seriously gotta cut back some, but three gifts seems kinda not fun lol 

Last year for two kids, just some of the gifts. Had to take two pics it all wouldn't fit in one shot. This was right before our first wrapping session, we had three sessions. 

The problem we have now is buying for kids that literally have everything. 

Good news though is we always donate toys twice a year to our local women's shelters.

This is just SOME? Like a THIRD of what your kids got? Way way WAY too much. this pic alone is too much. How many toys do you give to the toy drive? New toys or castoffs?? One, three ten? Then turn around and give the kid fifty new toys? It still isn't teaching kids to give rather than receive. Kids do not need a fraction of all that stuff, and there are too many kids that need warm clothes, jackets, books, and toys.

Well three is on the minimal side, unless they are very expensive things, like laptops, etc. Still, the gifts from parents aren't usually the only ones kids get, there are usually gifts from relatives and friends, so it's not like the kid would be deprived, even with just three from parents, or five or six. I know it is alot of fun to spoil the kids but you don't really want to SPOIL them, do you, and have it be just about receiving lots and lots and lots of gifts. That, IMO, is not "fun," it's harmful.
smurfbitebug
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:34 PM
I like doing it this way, too. Except I'm kind of nutty over books and I ended up giving SS the entire Stephen King collection in one Christmas. Yeah.. overkill. I know. Lol
I haven't done it again so far though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Mine don't, and they're 11, 14, and 17.

My kids each get 1 bigger gift, a clothing item, a book, and 2-3 small gifts. I also usually get them a gift card of some sort- book store, Claire's, Hot Topic, etc.

mommy053008
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM
We are getting them abt 7 a piece they will be 2 1/2 and 5 1/2 at Christmas time.
jlbelknap35
by Jessica on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:10 PM
We are thinking of (if our land lord is ok with it) getting the kids a kitten each (2) and then just 2 or 3 small ones.
mem82
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

My kids get about 10 gifts each from us. The younger one gets less and the older one gets a little less because she wants pricier things. Then they all get some smaller doodads.

JTE11
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:58 PM

Sounds like my DD. She turns three a little over a month after Christmas and has two sets of grandparents plus DH and I buying her gifts, and several uncles and aunts. The kid isn't getting a ton of stuff from us this year, either. My house is turning into a Toys R Us just from the other people getting her stuff. We're already done shopping for her, it's nice to be done early!

Jamie1972
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

If my mom and I go thru with our plan. The kids Christmas gift will be sea world.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 19 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

My kids are only getting one each this year.

PandTsmomjuly
by Florence on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:00 PM

We do 3 gifts on Christmas and 1  on Christmas Eve.

Mrs Claus brings a PJ set for them to wear on Christmas Eve. Santa brings 3 gifts that night. 1 outfit, 1 toy/movie, and 1 personalized (i.e. something they told me they wanted) gift per kid. They don't need all that much and they have a bazillion toys already. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN