Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sending my little snot factory to school tomorrow

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
  • 352 Replies
1 mom liked this
My son came home from a weekend at PopPop's with a slight cough. Normally when he gets sick it comes on gradually and then the poor kid has the worst cold ever for like, 3 days.

He's in kindergarten so this is our first year in school and I'm not sure if I should send him with a cough. He's pretty good about covering his mouth but he wont be able to wash his hands all the time and they all share everything in the classroom.

However, I know tomorrow he's not going to be REALLY sick-that is, feel bad until like, Wednesday. If I keep him out of school bc of the cough, he'll probably end up missing a whole week. Thats A LOT of school to be missing in the first month.

Any advice? I dont want to be the jerk that sends her germy kid to school but I also dont want him to miss more school than necessary. And of course this is happening the ONE WEEK my husband has two day shifts and my grandmother wont watch him if he's sick :(. Ughhh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lenashark
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
57 moms liked this

Unless he has a fever or is throwing up, I send my son to school. A cold and cough isn't something to miss school over.

momof2boy2girl
by Valerie on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:01 AM
1 mom liked this
A slight cough? Send him. He most likely picked it up at school so he won't be the only one.
HumanBeing
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
If it's a little cough I would send him. It's fevers and vomit/diarrhea I keep my kiddos home for.
KendallsMommee
by Spoiled SAHM on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Send him unless he's coughing up lung.
KrissyKC
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
10 moms liked this

Rules of thumb...

Fever, vomitting, diahrea, etc... stay at home.

Contagious rashes, stay home...

Coughing?  Sneezing? ...  unless they are so sick that they are spewing green snot everywhere or coughing so much that they, the teacher, and the other kids will be miserable...  They still go.

However, mine are homeschooled, so I really don't have to make those decisions anymore.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:02 AM
I put mine In school with a cough. If he has a fever vomiting or diarrhea I would keeo him home. Mine usally get sick from school.
GigantaursMommy
by MrsAwesomePants on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM
10 moms liked this

Teach him to cough into the crook of his arm instead of his hand and send him to school.

okpondlady
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

I give mine a dose of Children's Cold and Cough every morning.  He only goes to school 4 hours so by the time he gets home he is ready for more or it starts running again..    If they have a runny nose it is like a signal to check temps and they want to send him home.   Cold and Cough keeps the temp down too.  

anoncalypse
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

i would send him and teach him to cough into his elbow instead of his hand

mlg1989
by ZombieMegg on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as there's no other symptoms or fever then send him. Or least that is what I would do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)