Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sending my little snot factory to school tomorrow

Posted by   + Show Post
My son came home from a weekend at PopPop's with a slight cough. Normally when he gets sick it comes on gradually and then the poor kid has the worst cold ever for like, 3 days.

He's in kindergarten so this is our first year in school and I'm not sure if I should send him with a cough. He's pretty good about covering his mouth but he wont be able to wash his hands all the time and they all share everything in the classroom.

However, I know tomorrow he's not going to be REALLY sick-that is, feel bad until like, Wednesday. If I keep him out of school bc of the cough, he'll probably end up missing a whole week. Thats A LOT of school to be missing in the first month.

Any advice? I dont want to be the jerk that sends her germy kid to school but I also dont want him to miss more school than necessary. And of course this is happening the ONE WEEK my husband has two day shifts and my grandmother wont watch him if he's sick :(. Ughhh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
MedicMommy2
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:14 AM
I send mine as long as there is no fever, vomiting or diarrhea.
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:15 AM
He'd be fine with it but I dont think they're allowed to have it.

I sent him with one on his backpack for the first day of school-people come into my work and buy it for the little kids all the time-but he came home without it. I asked and he said the teacher just took it off. I was mildly annoyed bc they didnt give it to me lol.

Quoting .Bad.Wolf.:

My kids only stay home if they have a fever or are vomiting.

Do you think he can be responsible with hand sanitizer? If so, get a little bottle of it for him to keep at his desk.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EthansMomma129
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:17 AM
If he has a real wet nasty cough like croup or he's coughing up green stuff keep him home. Otherwise if he doesn't have a fever and isn't throwing up I'd send him. They do miss alot of days in kindergarten. They're littler immune systems get rocked with germs.
LadyAmaranth
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Cold meds on board, Kleenex in pocket, off to school.

I keep home only if feverish, vomiting, or diarrhea. Otherwise they'd never get to school. Allergies alone keep them slightly sick-like!

iHEAVENn
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Read through your parent handbook. There will be a section on when to keep your children home, and when to send them to school.

My son had a cough/was not feeling well but had no fever, no runny nose his handbook said to send him to school, so I did. I just let the teacher know he was feeling off so she could keep an eye on him. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM

I guess I'm one that doesn't mind my son having germy friends. I feel like it's better for his immune system in the long run. And good for his psyche to get the sniffle/feelforshits a few times in his life.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM

A simple cough is not a reason a child can be excluded from school, at least not without other symptoms. If everyone stayed home for every cough and sniffle, they would never get to school. 

MammaKoi
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM

My son came home with pink eye and hes home for a week atleast. I have to do eye drops 4 times a day.

MomTeacher621
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Nice...mask a fever with meds. How well do you think your child does in school when he has a fever, meds or no?
If the cough is productive, ie phlegmy, don't send him. A dry cough that isnt too bad, send him. See if teacherwill allow mints to suck on. Cough drops are considered medication.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:24 AM
13 moms liked this

On behalf of teachers,  you are a nightmare parent. If I have a child who tells me their parent gave them medicine before school, I call the parents to puck up.This is just wrong. A fever is a sign that your child needs to rest, not be medicated to make it through the day.

Quoting okpondlady:

I give mine a dose of Children's Cold and Cough every morning.  He only goes to school 4 hours so by the time he gets home he is ready for more or it starts running again..    If they have a runny nose it is like a signal to check temps and they want to send him home.   Cold and Cough keeps the temp down too.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)