Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

sending my little snot factory to school tomorrow

Posted by   + Show Post
My son came home from a weekend at PopPop's with a slight cough. Normally when he gets sick it comes on gradually and then the poor kid has the worst cold ever for like, 3 days.

He's in kindergarten so this is our first year in school and I'm not sure if I should send him with a cough. He's pretty good about covering his mouth but he wont be able to wash his hands all the time and they all share everything in the classroom.

However, I know tomorrow he's not going to be REALLY sick-that is, feel bad until like, Wednesday. If I keep him out of school bc of the cough, he'll probably end up missing a whole week. Thats A LOT of school to be missing in the first month.

Any advice? I dont want to be the jerk that sends her germy kid to school but I also dont want him to miss more school than necessary. And of course this is happening the ONE WEEK my husband has two day shifts and my grandmother wont watch him if he's sick :(. Ughhh.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
Replies (41-50):
Rlmama00
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:40 AM

Teach him to cough into his elbow instead of his hands. He should be fine to go to school.

KelleLynn
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM

This...

Quoting lenashark:

Unless he has a fever or is throwing up, I send my son to school. A cold and cough isn't something to miss school over.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:42 AM
7 moms liked this

Oh god PLEASE don't send your kid to school! Speaking AS a teacher that beginning stage when they're about to get sick is the most contagious part.

Missing one week of school isn't going to set him back in his educational career and colleges aren't going to look back on his record and say "Oh, he missed a whole week of school back in Kindergarten, that might be a deal-breaker."

Trust me his teacher AND the other parents will thank you.

SareyF
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:43 AM
Here you don't send your kid if they've had fever, vomiting, or diarrhea within 24 hours. No rash, pink eye, or head lice (thankfully haven't had to deal with any of these).
Chirinos
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM
I would send him to school. The only time I keep my boys home from school is if they are vomiting, diarrhea, or fever otherwise I send them to school.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:44 AM
3 moms liked this

I think it's pretty selfish that you gauge whether or not to send him on how he feels instead of how contagious he is.  The kid who gave it to your son must have a like-minded mother.  I'm sure you appreciate her sending her sick kid to school.

kraziandkoul
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:50 AM
1 mom liked this

EVERY morning? 

Quoting okpondlady:

I give mine a dose of Children's Cold and Cough every morning.  He only goes to school 4 hours so by the time he gets home he is ready for more or it starts running again..    If they have a runny nose it is like a signal to check temps and they want to send him home.   Cold and Cough keeps the temp down too.  

kraziandkoul
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:51 AM
1 mom liked this

The first few days are usually the most contagious.

spooky415
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:52 AM
Uh...okay.

You know that kids can be contagious before they even show symptoms right? H's probably already passed it on.

Quoting Anonymous:

I think it's pretty selfish that you gauge whether or not to send him on how he feels instead of how contagious he is.  The kid who gave it to your son must have a like-minded mother.  I'm sure you appreciate her sending her sick kid to school.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:54 AM
2 moms liked this

You are clearly not a healthcare professional.  Perhaps you should call yours to discuss incubation periods and when children are most contagious.

Quoting spooky415:

Uh...okay.

You know that kids can be contagious before they even show symptoms right? H's probably already passed it on.

Quoting Anonymous:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)